• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff: Deputy acted in self-defense; teen killed

VAman49

imported post

http://www.reflector.com/news/sheriff-deputy-acted-in-self-defense-teen-killed-1042569.html

Off-duty Pitt County, NC deputy shoots man trying to rob him at an ATM.

Sheriff Mac Manning said:

“I was at the same ATM probably the night before. We live in a civil society, where citizens shouldn't have to worry about robbers approaching them at any time of day or night,” he said.

The fault lies with the deceased, who instigated the incident. We want our citizens to be safe. We need to rid the streets of people like this who want to prey on innocent citizens,” the sheriff said.

I highlighted in bold some of the Sheriff's statements. The deputy was off-duty and not in uniform. It is unclear if he used his service weapon or not.

aquinob1

imported post

Another reason why every decent American citizen should be armed.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAman49 wrote:
SNIP... where citizens shouldn't have to worry about robbers approaching them at any time of day or night,” he said.
Yeah! Its already bad enough with the robbers who steal from our paychecks via withholding, and the robbers who steal from our savings via Fed-induced inflation. Who needs more robbers taking it from you at the ATM?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Not that it really matters, but why are we discussing an incident in NC. Especially one that doesn't involve an OC'er. Especially one that doesn't involve an OC'er but does involve a Sheriff's office with questionable civil rights compliance??????????????

VAman49

imported post

I posted it because he wasn't in uniform at the time...being a LEO was just coincidence in this case. He could have been joe blow for all thebad guy knew. I thought it was relevant because of the remarks the Sheriff said. My family is from Pitt county and to hear a Sheriff say that about a citizen's rights to not to have to worry about being robbedand the fault lying with the deceased who instigated the incident was interesting, at least to me.

I've seen things posted about shootings in other states...what's the big deal? The mods are free to remove it if it's not appropriate.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VAman49 wro
I've seen things posted about shootings in other states...what's the big deal? The mods are free to remove it if it's not appropriate.
Not a big deal. Just giving my opinion.

As far as what the Sheriff said.....If I recall correctly, when he was shown a video of one of his Deputies striking a student...he said something to the effect that it could have been anyone dressed in a Deputies uniform.

Considering NC's terror to the public law, I wonder how many of his constituents OC.

VAman49

imported post

Pitt County is my ancestral home so to speak...family roots go back way before the Revolutionary war. I can remember when buying a handgun meant getting the county Sheriff to sign off on it...don't know if that is still the case but maybe it's getting better. I don't OC when go down there to visit my family or the in-laws.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VAman49 wrote
I can remember when buying a handgun meant getting the county Sheriff to sign off on it...don't know if that is still the case but maybe it's getting better. I don't OC when go down there to visit my family or the in-laws.
It's still the case.
As much as I love NC, they have a lot of work to do with the gun laws.

VAman49

imported post

It's getting better....at least you can get a concealed permit now...my nephew just got his down in Nash county. I'm a Carolina boy at heart but I have no plans to move back down there...VA is just too 2nd Amendment friendly to leave.

Steve B

imported post

being a neighboring state and honoring Virginia CHP, I don't think it is a bad idea to post such things on Virginia forum. Shows us what we might expect if visiting NC in the future. Could have easily been one of us stopping by the ATM. Just my opinion.

PT111

imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
VAman49 wrote:
.... We live in a civil society, where citizens shouldn't have to worry about robbers approaching them at any time of day or night,” he said.
Best joke I've heard all day.
I don't understand your "joke" comment. The Sheriff is exactly correct when he says they we shouldn't have to worry about it but unfortunately we do. Do you meant you want to keep robbers as part of the system or do you want to get rid of them. Do you mean that a civil society should have robbers and have to worry about them as a normal part of society? If so then we shouldn't punish them and try to get rid od them.

Jero1987

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Jero1987 wrote:
VAman49 wrote:
.... We live in a civil society, where citizens shouldn't have to worry about robbers approaching them at any time of day or night,” he said.
Best joke I've heard all day.
I don't understand your "joke" comment. The Sheriff is exactly correct when he says they we shouldn't have to worry about it but unfortunately we do. Do you meant you want to keep robbers as part of the system or do you want to get rid of them. Do you mean that a civil society should have robbers and have to worry about them as a normal part of society? If so then we shouldn't punish them and try to get rid od them.
I am saying its a joke, because just because you live in a civil society does not mean you should not take caution for robbers. Humans will always rob, steal, murder, and cheat, we have been doing it since time began. To have expectations that this will change is childish.

Dreamer

imported post

The would-be robber, Antonio Lacy, was 19. My guess, is he didn't buy his gun through an FFL dealer, and knowing the Pitt County Sheriff's office, he probably didn't buy it in a private sale with a "Handgun Purchase Permit" either. The fact that he even HAD a handgun was most likely a criminal act, before he ever tried to use it for a criminal act.

Most of the stories on the news about this incident say he was a "teen". Very few of them say he was 19, and already had a bit of a reputation on the street.

If this deputy had been OCing, this event would most likely never had occurred. He was carrying concealed, and so to this BG, he looked like any other non-armed "soft target". It was BECAUSE he was CCing that this Deputy was attacked. If he'd had his firearm on his hip, in plain view, chances are this proto-thug would have seen it and walked on down the road looking for a softer target...

OC deters crime.

CC pretty much GUARANTEES that you'll have to draw and fire.

The only "tactical advantage" that CC provided is that it gives people who WANT to shoot the opportunity, because their mode of carry doesn't scare off BGs.

Crooks and thugs are cowards. They don't want a gunfight--they want to empty your pockets without any struggle. OC sends them the CLEAR message that you are NOT a "soft target"...