• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff: Deputy acted in self-defense; teen killed

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
The would-be robber, Antonio Lacy, was 19. My guess, is he didn't buy his gun through an FFL dealer, and knowing the Pitt County Sheriff's office, he probably didn't buy it in a private sale with a "Handgun Purchase Permit" either. The fact that he even HAD a handgun was most likely a criminal act, before he ever tried to use it for a criminal act.

Most of the stories on the news about this incident say he was a "teen". Very few of them say he was 19, and already had a bit of a reputation on the street.

If this deputy had been OCing, this event would most likely never had occurred. He was carrying concealed, and so to this BG, he looked like any other non-armed "soft target". It was BECAUSE he was CCing that this Deputy was attacked. If he'd had his firearm on his hip, in plain view, chances are this proto-thug would have seen it and walked on down the road looking for a softer target...

OC deters crime.

CC pretty much GUARANTEES that you'll have to draw and fire.

The only "tactical advantage" that CC provided is that it gives people who WANT to shoot the opportunity, because their mode of carry doesn't scare off BGs.

Crooks and thugs are cowards. They don't want a gunfight--they want to empty your pockets without any struggle. OC sends them the CLEAR message that you are NOT a "soft target"...
Post that to one of the open carry vs shall-issue CCW threads on the calguns.net forum and I suspect many would foam at the mouth. :D

Dreamer

imported post

I'm sure they would...

I challenge anyone to show me an instance where an OCer was attacked when the BG knew he was OCing. (Oh, and that "incident" in PW County VA a few years ago was proven to be a false report--the kid DIDN'T get knocked on the head and have his gun stolen. It was his dad's gun, and he left it in a public restroom, and it was stolen from there. He made up the "assault and theft" story to cover his butt...)

If they want, I'll start listing the instances of CCers who were attacked and then HAD to shoot to defend themselves, because the BG thought they were unarmed. The list would go on for PAGES. Heck, I could name a half-dozen in my state (NC) in the last 12 months, including at least one off-duty LEO...

CarryOpen

imported post

Apparently the BG had a BB gun. The officer also tried to save him after he shot him, from what I could find.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

I think if anyone but a LEO had shot and killed the criminal, then the criminal would be a victim and the would be victim would be in jail waiting for his day in court to prove he was justified and acting in self-defense.

Resto Guy

imported post

I think some clarification is in order here. For starters, I am a Va. native who, since 1984,has lived in the county this happened in. Unless one has a CC permit, a handgun purchase permit, issued by the Sheriff's office,is required to purchase. They are good for 5 years.

I have sat in this Sheriff's office more than once andhad private discussions withhim regarding a person's right touse deadly force in defense of one's life. Sheriff Manning is very pro-gun, and told me his dept. would have less work if more people would carry.I have had nothing but very positive interactions with Mr. Manning since I first met him (as a Captain) in 1997. I have also seen other cases where he would publicly proclaim the shooter was in the right when preventing a crime.If it had had been a civilian in that car, instead of one of his deputies, he would not have publicly commented, because it would have been outside of his jurisdiction. The shooting took place within city limits. Since one of his people was involved, he had to comment.

Regarding the deputy and the CC vs. OC thing, the deputy was out of uniform and in his personal vehicle at a drive through ATM when approached. He was not out wandering around the parking lot CC'ing at 10 PM. Not that CCis a bad thing. He had no civic duty to wear his weapon exposed to thwart criminals, and neither do I.

wylde007

imported post

Off-duty officer or not, the man has a fundamental right to defend himself.

This should serve as warning to ANY would-be robber - you never know who you're robbing and that uncertainty carries with it an inherent risk of injury or fatality. The end.

Steve B

imported post

thiDreamer wrote:
The would-be robber, Antonio Lacy, was 19. My guess, is he didn't buy his gun through an FFL dealer, and knowing the Pitt County Sheriff's office, he probably didn't buy it in a private sale with a "Handgun Purchase Permit" either. The fact that he even HAD a handgun was most likely a criminal act, before he ever tried to use it for a criminal act.

Most of the stories on the news about this incident say he was a "teen". Very few of them say he was 19, and already had a bit of a reputation on the street.

If this deputy had been OCing, this event would most likely never had occurred. He was carrying concealed, and so to this BG, he looked like any other non-armed "soft target". It was BECAUSE he was CCing that this Deputy was attacked. If he'd had his firearm on his hip, in plain view, chances are this proto-thug would have seen it and walked on down the road looking for a softer target...

OC deters crime.

CC pretty much GUARANTEES that you'll have to draw and fire.

The only "tactical advantage" that CC provided is that it gives people who WANT to shoot the opportunity, because their mode of carry doesn't scare off BGs.

Crooks and thugs are cowards. They don't want a gunfight--they want to empty your pockets without any struggle. OC sends them the CLEAR message that you are NOT a "soft target"...

This highly trained, concealed carrying, off duty deputy stopped this BG. Had he been open carrying, yes, the BG would have probably went on, and maybe attacked someone else NOT in position to protect themselves. Be glad it played out as it did, and no innocent person was hurt!