• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A challenge to the group!

tyguy808

imported post

Event Info: Gravel Pit Cleanup
)

Date, time & place to meet:
Date:
May 15, 2010
Time: 0830
Meet At:K-mart Parking Lot, I-5 Exit 255

Clear your calendars for this one boys and girls!

I bought my six-year-old son a Crickett .22LR this year for Christmas. We went to the gravel pit at North Fork road with a couple friends. We spent the day blasting away, he with his new gun and me with a few of mine. At the end of the day, we picked up our targets and headed out.I asked him how many rounds he thought he had shot, he told me to wait a few minutes and he'd tell me. He then reached into his pockets and counted to 107. He said "Dad, I shot 107 rounds today! How about you?" He had taken every shell and out it into his pockets. He said that it was such a mess up there, that he didn't want to make it more of a mess.

Here is my challenge to you:

I know it's a long ways off, but, that'll give you plenty of time to clear your schedule. May 15, 2010 at the North Fork Gravel Pit in Whatcom County at 9AM! I will be at the pit with my family, we will pick up shells and old targets and take them to the dump. I will be working closely with DNR and a few possible sponsors to aid the clean-up. I will talk to my boss about buckets, trash bagsand some cash for dump runs. I WILL PERSONALLY PROVIDE FOOD AND DRINKS FOR UP TO 50 PEOPLE. I know that there are others out there that use this particular area for "playing". I have contacted MassiveDesign about a banner for the pit atleast for the day. I will be contacting the news media, The Bellingham Herald and trying to touch bases with the TV guys too. I will contact a tow company to see if they'll donate services, for the abandoned cars.

The pit has been tidied up in recent years by a group of treehuggers trying to push the "look at the mess that they leave behind" agenda. DNR told me that they are planning to erect a gate in 2011 if it gets worse. We would be losing a great outdoor spot, not just for shooting, but, hiking and hunting too!

This weekend there were atleast 3 cars, a pile of old corrugated pipe and mountainous heaps of bottles and cans. The ground is COVERED in shotgun shells along with piles and piles of small arms shells.The wood is starting to pile up, the cardboard is getting crazy and I even seen DIAPERS that had been hit by shotguns. One thing that I did notice was that there are no appliances there anymore, that'll change before May, I guarantee!

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Any takers please PM me.

EDIT: I would plan it sooner, but, we're just as likely to get corked by a snowfall. May seems to be a good time because it can get terribly hot during the summer.

EDIT: I will also bring a few tarps so we can all blast away afterwards and still keep it clean!

EDIT: Thanks for the suggestion M1Gunr

jbone

imported post

Why not removethe carsso not to create a sinkhole as they rust away,then plow the rest under. Aflter all it's only going to a land fill if you cart it all off the a city/county dump.

tyguy808

imported post

jbone wrote:
Why not removethe carsso not to create a sinkhole as they rust away,then plow the rest under. Aflter all it's only going to a land fill if you cart it all off the a city/county dump.

I don't have a plow. But if you have one, or a backhoe I'll buy you ten gallons of red diesel if you bring it.

Also, I'm trying to touch bases with a couple towing companies to see if they'll volunteer to haul the cars to a scrapyard.

amzbrady

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
jbone wrote:

I don't have a plow. But if you have one, or a backhoe I'll bi you ten gallons of red diesel if you bring it.

Also, I'm trying to touch bases with a couple towing companies to see if they'll volunteer to haul the cars to a scrapyard.

good luck getting a salvage yard to take cars without titles. unless you can find a shady one.

jbone

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
jbone wrote:
I don't have a plow. But if you have one, or a backhoe I'll bi you ten gallons of red diesel if you bring it.

Sorry I don't own any.

Chris.R.Anderson

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
I don't have a plow. But if you have one, or a backhoe I'll buy you ten gallons of red diesel if you bring it.

I have all manner of heavy equipment including a dozer/backhoe. Unfortunately I live in Walla Walla county :p Somehow I doubt you want to pay the fee to haul it up there and back!

CRA

Edit: Spelling

uncoolperson

imported post

If things work out, count me in.

If I have someone trying to shoot directly over my head at the hillside on the other side of the road, I might not stay long.

tyguy808

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
If things work out, count me in.

If I have someone trying to shoot directly over my head at the hillside on the other side of the road, I might not stay long.

We'll try not to let that happen to you!:D

You're local, do you know where the pit is?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

If my schedule allows I am in. I own a Bobcat but my hydraulics blew....:X.

Call me next time you have free time we can meet for coffee. Heresolong brought me to a cool place downtown with great coffee.

There should be metal value in the junk cars. Maybe talk to the DOL. or so about titles. That way salvage yards could make a buck without fear of prosecution. I am not sure how that goes tho.