• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I informed LBPD of my where and when

eraseallhope

imported post

So i'm planning on going to my long beach wal-mart, and there is a police shooting range right behind it.. Maybe some of you people might know where this location is..

BUT since i know there are alot of police over there getting in trigger time i was gunna be extra careful with this.

So i decided to try what the police told the UOC'ers yesterday in San Pedro

"ohh just let us know when and where so when we get a MWAG cal blah blah blah"

I call and they asked me "why would you need to carry a gun to wal-mart?"

Me: Self protection, The same reason you might carry a gun.

LEO: "Can i have a description of you, or what you will be wearing?"

Me: White male, 5'9 blah blah...

LEO: "what is your first and last name"

Me: My name is Patrick, I will be willing to show you my i.d if i do come into contact with an officer, BUT i am not legally obligated to do so, i am just offering to make thing easier, but i'm not going to release my full name to you at this time.

LEO: "What is your phone number?"

Me: 562-phony number

LEO: "what kind of vehical will you be driving?"

Me: If i'm on foot in wal-mart why would you need to know that? Are you going to follow me around after this? why do you need all this information, im sure if an officer comes into contact with me he will be able to find out in his investigation

LEO: "we'll you arent being straight forward with me so i'm just trying to figure out what your planning on doing and everything."

Me: I'm planning to lawfully shop at my local wal-mart and just thought i would try to work with my local police department to make things a little smoother when you do get a MWAG call, maybe we can handle thinigs a little different and you would know the person you are responding to isnt an immediate threat.

After this he was kind of just trying to discourage me not to carry and that i will for sure be seeing officers and what not.

As i am only going to be with my girlfriend for this trip, and they already know im coming... I'll just leave my weapon in the car for this one visit.

I would feel a little more comfortable with a group of maybe 3 or 4 but i mainly just wanted to test the waters of my local PD and see what they would say if i did do what they ask and call and inform of when and where.

Seems they dont like it if we do or we dont.

Classic catch 22

Rusty

imported post

I hope that dialog was just a joke.

It sounded more like you were trying to antagonize the police then inform them.

Maybe I just don't get it.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Rusty wrote:

Really? I probably would have answered the same way. What part seemed antagonizing? He simply wanted to inform the police department of his activities exactly how the LAPD asked the UOCers from Sunday. Instead they started asking him all sorts of invasive, unrelated questions.

chewy352

imported post

Unless you're a cop your a criminal these days.

I just went to my local Lowe's then walmart and back to Lowe's without incident. If I had called to inform the PD of my don't have to tell them when I am going to speak then I am NOT going to tell them when I will be caring my firearm.

Rusty

imported post

I just went to my local Lowe's then walmart and back to Lowe's without incident. If I had called to inform the PD of my don't have to tell them when I am going to speak then I am NOT going to tell them when I will be caring my firearm.

I guess I agree with this viewpoint more.

I don't understand calling the police to talk to them about UOC at all.

I mean, if you call them and tell them you will be down there, and then you go down there, and someone calls in a MWAG, I don't think they are going to respond in a different way then if you had not called them in the first place.

I guess sending some flyers to the local precinct about the practice might be of some use, but beyond that, it is beyond me as to why you would call them and tell them where and when to come violate your rights.

If you are unsure about how the LEA will react, maybe organize a meet up and see the reaction you get.

I am not trying to be a jerk or anything here, it just seems ill-advised to have a conversation like that with the police.

eraseallhope

imported post

Rusty wrote:

No it wasn't a joke, and I wasn't antagonizing anyone, if anything the officer was a joke.

He calimed to understand the legality of UOC so everything he was saying was just him trying to discouage me into not practicing my rights.
So if my comments seemed a little on the smart allic side, it was only to rebutle back from his smart allic remarks

I was just curious to see how informing the police would be any different than if I had not informed them.

Now you know it doesn't matter either way so just remember to stay legal and carry on.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
So i'm planning on going to my long beach wal-mart, and there is a police shooting range right behind it.. Maybe some of you people might know where this location is..

BUT since i know there are alot of police over there getting in trigger time i was gunna be extra careful with this.

So i decided to try what the police told the UOC'ers yesterday in San Pedro

"ohh just let us know when and where so when we get a MWAG cal blah blah blah"

I call and they asked me "why would you need to carry a gun to wal-mart?"

Me: Self protection, The same reason you might carry a gun.

LEO: "Can i have a description of you, or what you will be wearing?"

Me: White male, 5'9 blah blah...

LEO: "what is your first and last name"

Me: My name is Patrick, I will be willing to show you my i.d if i do come into contact with an officer, BUT i am not legally obligated to do so, i am just offering to make thing easier, but i'm not going to release my full name to you at this time.

LEO: "What is your phone number?"

Me: 562-phony number

LEO: "what kind of vehical will you be driving?"

Me: If i'm on foot in wal-mart why would you need to know that? Are you going to follow me around after this? why do you need all this information, im sure if an officer comes into contact with me he will be able to find out in his investigation

LEO: "we'll you arent being straight forward with me so i'm just trying to figure out what your planning on doing and everything."

Me: I'm planning to lawfully shop at my local wal-mart and just thought i would try to work with my local police department to make things a little smoother when you do get a MWAG call, maybe we can handle thinigs a little different and you would know the person you are responding to isnt an immediate threat.

After this he was kind of just trying to discourage me not to carry and that i will for sure be seeing officers and what not.

As i am only going to be with my girlfriend for this trip, and they already know im coming... I'll just leave my weapon in the car for this one visit.

I would feel a little more comfortable with a group of maybe 3 or 4 but i mainly just wanted to test the waters of my local PD and see what they would say if i did do what they ask and call and inform of when and where.

Seems they dont like it if we do or we dont.

Classic catch 22

I think contacting the police in advance of your legal activites is ill-advised. Here's why;

1) You have just waived your 5th amendment. What you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. Your information is being recorded so that if you intend on commiting a crime, they will have your statement to use against you when the authorities decide to prosecute.

2) You are initiating a police investigation. Prior to your phone call, they did not know that 'eraseallhope' existed or that eraseallhope likes to carry their weapon around. Now they have something new to look for and if they have the opportunity to watch 'eraseallhope' long enough, they will find something to act on.

3) You are challenging law enforcement to come find you. When they are already dealing with real criminals who need their undivided attention, theyfeel obligated to go looking for some pro-carry 'Federalist' to ensure the public safety.

If you are determined to UOC in spite of the requested stand down, please consider not being the tipster that might instigate a police response that puts you in jail.

imported post

Normal people just don't act this way. What you've done is give them the impression you're about to go on a shooting spree. And just to let you know I don't like cops.

Normal people just go about their private affairs in a low key manner. They see you as a nut case now. Congratulations dumb ass.

JBURGII

imported post

The OP was trying to play the rules according to PD, even though we know this is not required and we see what happens with the invasive questions and negative reaction.

I wouldn't do this again if I were him but it was an interesting test of the scenario.

Rev. Jim

imported post

Just a couple of more points. They now have your phone number and will probably be tapping your line. No joke.

And of course they have your description and personal information. You've made it very easy for them to run an investigation on you. To actually observe you closely like following you, or watching you from parked cars without you even knowing it.

This might sound outrageous but under the circumstances I think it's likely plausible. Especially if they don't know you already. If you're an unknown quantity they will certainly be checking you out now.

They notify the businesses that you said you were going to shop at while armed and have sent your picture to their security people. They'll be sure to give the cops a call if they see you in their stores in the future.

In closing, you don't get paid to be cooperative with the police absent some criminal investigation. Such contacts are never a good thing. But when you exit one of those stores one day the cops will be right there wanting to talk with just you.

dirtykoala

imported post

my thoughts on calling leo before UOC are that it seemslike doing this:

"hello mr. cop, i wanted to inform you that i will be eating a salad for lunch today, i know that my actions are legal, but i just though you should know."

chewy352

imported post

Don't feed the troll. ColMustard is just going around attacking everyone's ideas/posts with only 20 some-odd of his own.

Mike Hawk

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
my thoughts on calling leo before UOC are that it seemslike doing this:

"hello mr. cop, i wanted to inform you that i will be eating a salad for lunch today, i know that my actions are legal, but i just though you should know."
Just make sure sure those croutons are California-legal and the fork has no "evil features". You should be O.K. :p

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Don't feed the troll. ColMustard is just going around attacking everyone's ideas/posts with only 20 some-odd of his own.
Twenty or twenty-thousand, the points I made are valid regardless the number of my posts. Stupid ideas and stupid behavior are generally something that gets my attention. I take the low profile approach to life these days but, by all means, don't let me stop you from participating in your own real life circus. Everyone will stop to watch a train wreck.

eraseallhope

imported post

eff the police

if they want to follow and observe me, I could care less.. I would even wave hi when i see them.

i dont care, I never do anything illegal, except maybe 10 or 15 miles over the speed limit on a freeway, Sue me

THIS WAS AN EXPERIMENT JUST TOO SEE HOW HYPOCRITICAL THE LEA ARE!!!!

Tap my line, Put me on the no fly list.. I hate planes anyways.

They can bust me and talk to my lawyer about how i'm arrested for... what did we arrest him for?

So please, it was an experiment,

THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE WHO UNDERSTOOD THE FACT IT WAS AN EXPERIMENT NOT A MISTAKE.

eraseallhope

imported post

oh yea and you nay sayers sound like my dad

if you dont wanna tell the department what your doing...

DONT

if you dont wanna carry

DONT

dont cry about what i thought was hella funny. Its my life let me worry about the consequences.

i know i was well within my legal rights

Streetbikerr6

imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
oh yea and you nay sayers sound like my dad

if you dont wanna tell the department what your doing...

DONT

if you dont wanna carry

DONT

dont cry about what i thought was hella funny. Its my life let me worry about the consequences.

i know i was well within my legal rights

Ok at first your contact with the department sounded fine but now you sound incoherent and illogical as a person. You can give thought through arguments on they pro/cons of your phone call but please dont look like your that guy at walmart shouting off racist remarks on how mexicans are taking all the jobs in california and your not going to stand for it anymore.

We here at open carry discuss issues, we don't tell people not to "cry at what you thought was hella funny". We don't find anything funny about our situation. I truely thought you were garnering a feel for how your local LEO's though about OC, I found nothing wrong with a heads up to the local LEO... now we see you just thought it was "hella funny".

Thanks for trying to make a considerate group of Pro-2nd citizens look like jack-holes. That is not what we are about here.