• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental Discharge at SEG on 01/03/2010

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

On Sunday evening a Member of the Silver Eagle Group sustained an injury to his leg and foot when he accidentally discharged his firearm while holstering it on the range. The SEG Team immediately administered first aid to the injured party, rendered all ranges safe and had the Member transported to the emergency room. It is anticipated that he will make a full recovery. In an effort to safeguard his privacy, SEG is not releasing the name of the injured Member. We would like to remind all shooters the importance of safe handling techniques and proper firearm maintenance.

Thanks and safe shooting,
The Silver Eagle Group Team

Dreamer

imported post

Yes, I agree with ProShooter.

What sort of drill were they doing?

What firearm was being used?

What Holster was being used?

We need details, so we can learn from this, not just an "ambulance chaser" synopsis...

Oh, and BTW, there is NO SUCH THING as an AD. Only ND's...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Dreamer wrote:

Actually, there is....

An AD is best defined as a malfunction of the weapon. Something mechanical goes wrong which causes it to fire. It does happen, albeit rare.

An ND is usually what we see though, in 99.9% of the other situations.

nova

imported post

My guess? Probably had his finger in the trigger guard of a Glock (or similar design, no external hammer to hold thumb over) when holstering.

eta: not a bash on Glocks or similar guns, its just that they're less forgiving of poor gun safety/handling.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

They have already circled the wagons.......doubt you'll hear or see more except maybe from an insider.

Yata hey

Tomahawk

imported post

Dreamer wrote:

Untrue. This is an unreasonably high standard we gunowners have burdened ourselves with in order to try to appear more responsible to the general public. Basically, we are playing by the antis' rules and painting ourselves into the corner that no one may possess afirearm unless they can prove themselves to be absolutely accident-proof.

Proshooter is correct, accidents can happen in which the shooter is not liable, though it is rare.

Dreamer

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
With bulky winter clothing, it is also possible that some clothes got caught in the trigger guard.
Yes, but aren't Silver Eagle's ranges (including their "tactical shotgun range") all indoor ranges?...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Yes, I agree with ProShooter.

What sort of drill were they doing?

What firearm was being used?

What Holster was being used?

We need details, so we can learn from this, not just an "ambulance chaser" synopsis...
My immediate questions.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
A synopsis of what occurred may be beneficial to others as a training tool. No names needed.
Don't know but I bet 10 to 1 that it was a finger in the trigger guard while holstering that did it.......

Chances that this opinion is correct about 99.999%. (So called ND)

Chances that there was a malfunction of the weapon that caused a discharge about .0009% (so called AD)

Possibility that it was some other cause about .0001% (so called Supernatural Discharge)

Regards

Regards

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
A synopsis of what occurred may be beneficial to others as a training tool. No names needed.
Don't know but I bet 10 to 1 that it was a finger in the trigger guard while holstering that did it.......

Chances that there was a malfunction of the weapon that caused a discharge about .0009% (so called AD)

Possibility that it was some other cause about .0001% (so called Supernatural Discharge)

Regards

Regards
I'd be willing to bet two things.

1. It wasn't a 1911
2. It wasn't a revolver

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Don't know but I bet 10 to 1 that it was a finger in the trigger guard while holstering that did it......

Regards

1. It wasn't a 1911
2. It wasn't a revolver
Candidate/student for DCJS instructor at a local academy, in drawing his revolver apparently snagged the hammer on something, jammed the gun back down to free the snag with his finger already on the trigger - promptly shot himself in the leg.

He did not follow range safety rule - Do NOT put your finger on the trigger until the gun is on target. They were taught to draw with a straight trigger finger and required to sign the range safety rules.

Two things happened: He was taken to the hospital & flunked out of class w/notation "Not Allowed To Repeat."

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Don't know but I bet 10 to 1 that it was a finger in the trigger guard while holstering that did it......

Regards

1. It wasn't a 1911
2. It wasn't a revolver
Candidate/student for DCJS instructor at a local academy, in drawing his revolver apparently snagged the hammer on something, jammed the gun back down to free the snag with his finger already on the trigger - promptly shot himself in the leg.

He did not follow range safety rule - Do NOT put your finger on the trigger until the gun is on target. They were taught to draw with a straight trigger finger and required to sign the range safety rules.

Two things happened: He was taken to the hospital & flunked out of class w/notation "Not Allowed To Repeat."

Yata hey

Leave it to ol' Grape for getting the scoop!

and a big raspberry to all of you Glock naysayers! haha.