• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental Discharge at SEG on 01/03/2010

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Leave it to ol' Grape for getting the scoop!

and a big raspberry to all of you Glock naysayers! haha.
Same as you clean a cat box - one scoop at a time. :p

Yata hey

aquinob1

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
No one ever won a gun fight with a speedy re-holstering. Fast out, slow in.
That is just great! I think i'll have to make a slide like that for our powerpoint slide on range safety!

Neplusultra

imported post

aquinob1 wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
No one ever won a gun fight with a speedy re-holstering. Fast out, slow in.
That is just great! I think i'll have to make a slide like that for our powerpoint slide on range safety!

I took this guy shooting once, he had never shot a gun I think. Anyway I handed him my .45 unloaded and he immediately put his finger on the trigger. I knew I'd have to watch him closely because we were going to do some draw and fire exercises. So I instructed him about that andhow a lot of people end up shooting themselves while reholsteringfor the only reason of not being aware of where their finger was and being in the habit of having it on the trigger.

For the first four or five magazines I made him stop and show me his finger before I would let him reholster. He learned the lesson well. We also shot clay pigeons that day. He must have taken 50 shots without hitting a thing. I couldn't figure out what he was doing wrong. Then I suggested he wait until the pigeon was at apogee before shooting at it. Ha! That did the trick, he got the next 15 or so in a row.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Don't know but I bet 10 to 1 that it was a finger in the trigger guard while holstering that did it......
Chances that this opinion is correct about 99.999%. (So called ND)

Chances that there was a malfunction of the weapon that caused a discharge about .0009% (so called AD)

Possibility that it was some other cause about .0001% (so called Supernatural Discharge)

Regards
I'd be willing to bet two things.

1. It wasn't a 1911
2. It wasn't a revolver
Candidate/student for DCJS instructor at a local academy, in drawing his revolver apparently snagged the hammer on something, jammed the gun back down to free the snag with his finger already on the trigger - promptly shot himself in the leg.

He did not follow range safety rule - Do NOT put your finger on the trigger until the gun is on target. They were taught to draw with a straight trigger finger and required to sign the range safety rules.

Two things happened: He was taken to the hospital & flunked out of class w/notation "Not Allowed To Repeat."

Yata hey

Leave it to ol' Grape for getting the scoop!

and a big raspberry to all of you Glock naysayers! haha.
I knew it wasn't a Glock.
Them plastic Boolits leave a welt but bounce off.:p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I would have NEVER guessed a revolver was involved.

You gotta try real hard to screw up with a wheel gun.
Not sure what was involved in the OP - the report does not say.

Some of us were just relating thoughts.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I would have NEVER guessed a revolver was involved.

You gotta try real hard to screw up with a wheel gun.
I was just thinking... that must have been one violent "re-holstering" effort to fire a double action revolver!

TFred

Infidel

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Candidate/student for DCJS instructor at a local academy, in drawing his revolver apparently snagged the hammer on something, jammed the gun back down to free the snag with his finger already on the trigger - promptly shot himself in the leg.

He did not follow range safety rule - Do NOT put your finger on the trigger until the gun is on target. They were taught to draw with a straight trigger finger and required to sign the range safety rules.

Two things happened: He was taken to the hospital & flunked out of class w/notation "Not Allowed To Repeat."

Yata hey

All courtesy of the DCJS lowered standards as Billy in Chester discussed at the January 2nd brunch

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
He did not follow range safety rule - Do NOT put your finger on the trigger until the gun is on target.
I beat this into my students and I always tell them that this is the most difficult thing to teach people. Its one of the primary skills that needs to be practiced.
Practiced with a confirmed and reconfirmed empty/cleared gun.

Draw, fire (with snap caps) or not, reholster w/o looking - 3000 times will give good muscle memory. Still practice this at home regularly - can't beat the guy in the mirror though. :lol:

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
can't beat the guy in the mirror though. :lol:
I always draw faster than he does! :)
Only 'cause he blinks. :D

He needs to quit watching your eyes and pay attention to your shoulders.
Besides the first person to move generally wins, right?

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
... SNIP
and a big raspberry to all of you Glock naysayers!  haha.

I would never disparage anyones selection of food storage products.:lol:
Are they microwave safe though?

Yes! But only if unloaded first.
006-%5BLaughing%5D-%5BEmoticonKing.com%5D.gif

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
GEEK ALERT!!!

Actually, yes, this is always true. However, since the margin of victory is only the time it takes light to travel from you to the mirror, you'd be hard pressed to truly discern anything better than a tie.

;)

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
GEEK ALERT!!!

Actually, yes, this is always true. However, since the margin of victory is only the time it takes light to travel from you to the mirror, you'd be hard pressed to truly discern anything better than a tie.

;)

TFred
As best that I can figure, I am approximately 2.997925*10[sup]+08[/sup]
meters per second faster than the mirror.

Either that is a lose/lose situation or a win, depending on your viewpoint. :quirky

Yata hey

Tomahawk

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
As best that I can figure, I am approximately 2.997925*10[suP]+08[/suP]
meters per second faster than the mirror.

Either that is a lose/lose situation or a win, depending on your viewpoint. :quirky

Yata hey

You are the speed of light faster than your reflection? I think not. This is a very large speed, the largest possible in fact.

You are perhaps a few picoseconds ahead of the reflection, however, depending on how far away from the mirror you are. If the mirror were on the Moon you'd be a couple of seconds of it.