• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental Discharge at SEG on 01/03/2010

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
As best that I can figure, I am approximately 2.997925*10[sup]+08[/sup]
meters per second faster than the mirror.

Either that is a lose/lose situation or a win, depending on your viewpoint. :quirky

Yata hey

You are the speed of light faster than your reflection? I think not. This is a very large speed, the largest possible in fact.

You are perhaps a few picoseconds ahead of the reflection, however, depending on how far away from the mirror you are. If the mirror were on the Moon you'd be a couple of seconds of it.
Precisely, I draw at X speed and my reflection "reacts" at X + the speed of light relative to the distance.

Makes sense to me, but maybe I'm a little slow compared to the speed of light. :)

Yata hey

PS - I did not shoot myself in the foot at SEG.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Shooter was a USPSA shooter just had trigger work done on hiz CZ75 (to make it about 2lbs) and admits he must not have had his finger out of the way when he was reholstering. He had the targets on a timer and had just completed 50 repetitions with no problem. Shooter did not even know he was hit until he saw his own blood. Waived to RSO who had him lay down. Holster was made by Blade-Tech.

Ed

Tomahawk

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
As best that I can figure, I am approximately 2.997925*10[suP]+08[/suP]
meters per second faster than the mirror.

Either that is a lose/lose situation or a win, depending on your viewpoint. :quirky

Yata hey

You are the speed of light faster than your reflection? I think not. This is a very large speed, the largest possible in fact.

You are perhaps a few picoseconds ahead of the reflection, however, depending on how far away from the mirror you are. If the mirror were on the Moon you'd be a couple of seconds of it.
Precisely, I draw at X speed and my reflection "reacts" at X + the speed of light relative to the distance.
<facepalm> No, that's in error...but I'm not going to get into a physics discussion now. Maybe next time we meet.

curtiswr

imported post

ed wrote:
Shooter was a USPSA shooter just had trigger work done on hiz CZ75 (to make it about 2lbs) and admits he must not have had his finger out of the way when he was reholstering. He had the targets on a timer and had just completed 50 repetitions with no problem. Shooter did not even know he was hit until he saw his own blood. Waived to RSO who had him lay down. Holster was made by Blade-Tech.

Ed

Not a Glock!!

:lol:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Curtis wrote:
ed wrote:

Ed

Not a Glock!!

:lol:

Another stereotype shattered.:banghead:

carbon

Banned
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Yes, I agree with ProShooter.

What sort of drill were they doing?

What firearm was being used?

What Holster was being used?

We need details, so we can learn from this, not just an "ambulance chaser" synopsis...

Oh, and BTW, there is NO SUCH THING as an AD. Only ND's...
IMO, what firearm used, what holster being used, and what drill was being conducted is all irrelevant. FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO FIRE is all that needs to be said!Its just the instinct in todays society to want to know all the details.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

arrron wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
Yes, I agree with ProShooter.

What sort of drill were they doing?

What firearm was being used?

What Holster was being used?

We need details, so we can learn from this, not just an "ambulance chaser" synopsis...

Oh, and BTW, there is NO SUCH THING as an AD. Only ND's...
IMO, what firearm used, what holster being used, and what drill was being conducted is all irrelevant. FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO FIRE is all that needs to be said!Its just the instinct in todays society to want to know all the details.

Version#1 - Shooter was a USPSA shooter just had trigger work done on hiz CZ75 (to make it about 2lbs) and admits he must not have had his finger out of the way when he was reholstering. He had the targets on a timer and had just completed 50 repetitions with no problem. Shooter did not even know he was hit until he saw his own blood. Waived to RSO who had him lay down. Holster was made by Blade-Tech.

Version #2 - Some guy had his finger on the trigger and shot himself.

From version #1 - As an instructor and someone seeking to use the information as a training tool;I draw from that information that the gun owner was a veteran shooter, who is obviously anexperienced gun handler, even to the point of regularly participating in competative shooting events. He had been on the range for a considerable time and even though he had done things safely 50 times in a row, he still managed to have a negligent discharge. The shock of the ND, probably combined with thesmaller caliber weapon that he was shooting resulted in the fact that he did not know that he had been shot. The same effect may occur on an attacker and they may continue the attack on a citizen without having realized or felt the pain of a gun shot. That is why it is important to understand stopping power as it relates to a defensive firearm.

From version #2 - As an instructor and someone seeking to use the information as a training tool; I draw from that information that some guy shot himself because his finger was on the trigger.

yah, much better....:(

cdpmaster

imported post

According to my conversation with the RO on duty during the incident and the Range Master, he was a Security guard who was wearinga jacket that has the strings hanging from it. One of them caught on the hammer, and he reholstered with his booger hook on the bang button. It was a revolver for those of you collecting that information.

Ed, I would love to hear where you came up with your BS story.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

cdpmaster wrote:
According to my conversation with the RO on duty during the incident and the Range Master, he was a Security guard who was wearinga jacket that has the strings hanging from it. One of them caught on the hammer, and he reholstered with his booger hook on the bang button. It was a revolver for those of you collecting that information.

Ed, I would love to hear where you came up with your BS story.
QFT

cdpmaster

imported post

Wait...

Post the 911 call

post the police report with proper redactions.

As to new guy... clearing reading for comprehension is difficult for you gentlemen. Check dates of joining.

curtiswr

imported post

cdpmaster wrote:
Wait...

Post the 911 call

post the police report with proper redactions.

As to new guy... clearing reading for comprehension is difficult for you gentlemen. Check dates of joining.

Did you mean clearly?

Writing properly begets reading and comprehending properly. ;)

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

cdpmaster wrote:

I suppose that you meant clearly, not clearing. Clearly, typing is difficult for you.

And as for dates of joining, we generally pay that no mind. Its the post count and involvement in the forum that generates seniority and respect among the members....

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Since I don't use handguns that have "safety" switches, "external safety" to me is watching what I'm doing while holstering. It's too easy to sweep the foot and leg while holstering, and the part of the holster that covers the trigger guard while the gun is in place can catch the trigger while inserting the gun with disastrous results. I try to make it a habit to be conscious of what I'm doing and actually watch carefully while the gun goes in. Haven't shot myself, yet.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
cdpmaster wrote:
I suppose that you meant clearly, not clearing. Clearly, typing is difficult for you.

And as for dates of joining, we generally pay that no mind. Its the post count and involvement in the forum that generates seniority and respect among the members....
That and you (cdpmaster ) really don't want to get into comparing stats, quals and certifications; you really don't.

Ed has a history of detailed, accurate postings here. Never known him to be wrong - thought he was once, but he was only mistaken. :)

Lighten up and check your sources - that's what he did.

Yata hey