• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

newb question

ducksandtrucks

imported post

I am 19 years old and live in baton rouge louisiana. My uncle is a sheriff and they are upgrading from the glock 23 to a bigger side arm. He can get his old glock 23 (which has been maintained very well) with 3 14 round magazines for $325. Lurking around I have seen some prejudice toward glocks. I was wondering if there were any real reasons why not to many people liked them? I have shot many guns from barettas to smith and wessons and recently shot this glock at the range and fell inlove with it. I was quite accurate with it. This gun if purchased will go in my desk drawer at home (im off at college) until I turn 21. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't know that I'd call it "prejudice" against Glocks. It's more of a personal preference. Some people really like their Glocks, others prefer something else.

If your proficient with this handgun and knowldgeable of it's functions, then go for it.

ducksandtrucks

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
I have a Glock 21 and trust my life with it.

Welcome to the forum.:dude:

Thank you Glad to be here

And also how do you treat not having an external safety?? Do you keep a round chambered?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ducksandtrucks wrote:
I am 19 years old and live in baton rouge louisiana. My uncle is a sheriff and they are upgrading from the glock 23 to a bigger side arm. He can get his old glock 23 (which has been maintained very well) with 3 14 round magazines for $325. Lurking around I have seen some prejudice toward glocks. I was wondering if there were any real reasons why not to many people liked them? I have shot many guns from barettas to smith and wessons and recently shot this glock at the range and fell inlove with it. I was quite accurate with it. This gun if purchased will go in my desk drawer at home (im off at college) until I turn 21. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First off, welcome to the forum, I hope you learn a lot as I have. Lots of good people on OpenCarry.org.

I am not sure where you saw "alot" of prejudice towards glocks but they are well known for being excellent handguns. I have a Glock 22C and absolutely love it! It is the bigger brother of the Glock 23 and I thought LEO's using Glock .40 S&W would be using G22's and not G23's but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Glock is a fine firearm manufacturer. Most of the stuff is well built, like any other product manufactured by any other company, there are lemons sometimes but they are few and far between with Glock as with Smith & Wesson, etc, etc. Generally, if you hear of a Glock failure, it is typically due to misuse and bad ammunition such as overcharged loads or undercharged/squib loads. Both have the potential for destroying a gun, hurting, or killing you.

TheMrMitch

imported post

To answer Duck.....I'm 67 yrs old and a sworn Corrections officer. USMC military police in the 60s and have assorted affiliations with police forces since.

As experienced as I am......I got a Glock and would NOT put a round in the chamber until I was well satisfied I would handle it safely. No problem now.

The "booger hooker" off the "bang switch" is the safest practice around.:dude:

sprinklerguy28

imported post

You pointed out the 2 most important things when choosing a gun. It felt good in your hands and you are able to shoot it well. I don't own any Glocks, never liked how they felt in my hand. However they are a proven weapon. Go with what works for you.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I have not seen any bias against Glocks in this forum, I considered one for myself but chose to go with another manufacturer because the glock did not point naturally for me and it just did not feel right in my hands.

I feel it is an excellent self-defense firearm, just point it and pull the trigger with no manual safety to screw around with. If your shooting good with it, buy it. or get that cheap uncle of yours to give it to you as a gift.

The Wolfhound

imported post

If you like the feel of a Glock, then by all means you should get it. Most of the prejudice against Glock, my own included, is either about the fit to hand or just against polymer. Glocks are among the most loved and hated guns around. The reputation is that of a very reliable durable firearm.

architect

imported post

Some people drive Chevys, some drive Fords.

Some of these Ford drivers sincerely believe that Chevys are the worst cars in the world, they will give you many many reasons for this.

Some people shoot Glocks...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ducksandtrucks wrote:
Welcome aboard! We're happy to have you with us.

First off, you probably have 13-round magazines for that gun unless there is a +1 mag extension installed.

My primary carry gun for both open and concealed carry is one of my Glock 23's. It is a fine gun and does its job quite well. Most of any sort of bias you might find is going to be on other product-oriented websites. Frankly, any of the major brands should do quite well. The Glock has a long and proven track record and the G23 will serve you quite well. And a well-known writer in the gun culture believes the Glock 23 is the finest combat sidearm you can carry (Boston T. Party in "Boston's Gun Bible").

As sprinklerguy28 pointed out, you have satisfied two of the most important criteria for a defensive sidearm. The gun should satisfy the single most important one: that it goes bang when it is suppose to.

Go for it.

4angrybadgers

imported post

Glocks are fine guns. The hate comes from a couple of camps, mostly just variations on "plastic sucks, gimme steel any day", "no safety = no buy", or "Glocks blow up all the time!!!111". Any firearm has a (hopefully tiny!) chance of malfunctioning, and Glocks are no worse than other widely respected brands.

I've fired my dad's G22 (full-frame .40S&W), and my only complaint was the grip, which obviously is merely a personal preference. I've owned a Springfield XD (same idea - striker-fired polymer pistol, different ergonomics and a grip safety) for 15 months now, and I love it. If you like the way the Glock feels, get it. You will never regret your purchase, especially for that price.

ducksandtrucks wrote:
And also how do you treat not having an external safety?? Do you keep a round chambered?
Same as any gun, external safety or no - keep your finger off the trigger until you're going to fire. As the saying goes, "the best safety in the world is the one between your ears."

ducksandtrucks

imported post

Thanks for all the great info and replies.

First off the LEO's did have the G23 for their side arm, but are moving up to the G22 now. The reason is they believe the female and older deputies will be able to fire more accurate with the larger gun.

Second my uncle would definitely give me the gun, but he has to buy it from the sheriff for the 325, and he has twin 7 year old boys, and a 1 year old girl. He doesnt have the extra cash laying around with that family haha I really dont mind buying it either makes it feel more my own.

Also you said you conceal carry this weapon. How do you do that?? What brand holster?
Thanks

Dreamer

imported post

If you are 19, concealed carry is not a legal option for you in Louisiana. You must be 21 to get a Concealed Handgun Permit in LA...

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

For OC, the Serpa CQC is an excellent choice, as are any number of Galco, Bianchi, or Safariland holsters. All these brands make good products, and they all offer models with good retention features (active and thumb-snap, depending on your preference).

ducksandtrucks

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
If you are 19, concealed carry is not a legal option for you in Louisiana. You must be 21 to get a Concealed Handgun Permit in LA...

For OC, the Serpa CQC is an excellent choice, as are any number of Galco, Bianchi, or Safariland holsters. All these brands make good products, and they all offer models with good retention features (active and thumb-snap, depending on your preference).

Yeas I knew I couldnot cc but If i am correct you cant carry a hand gun at all until you are 21 ?

Alexcabbie

imported post

ducksandtrucks wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

Yeas I knew I couldnot cc but If i am correct you cant carry a hand gun at all until you are 21 ?
Despite the best efforts of a certain amorphous group of conniving moronic freaks, every state has its own laws regarding firearms. In VA you can OC at age 18 (but you cannot buy a handgun until you are 21). In some states it is 21 for purchase and carry. and in Washington DC it is keep it in the house until the jerks that run that city find some way to circumvent the Second Amendment yet again and confiscate several hundred dollars of weaponry and your protection. Your state's code is online as should also be that of your locality. Research it. And happy shooting, no matter what you choose get in the range time to be familiar with your weapon.

SouthernBoy

imported post

ducksandtrucks wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
I have a Glock 21 and trust my life with it.

Welcome to the forum.:dude:

Thank you Glad to be here

Whether or not your sidearm has an external safety is a personal choice. For me, I don't want any extra levers, buttons, or switches on my defensive sidearm to have to think about if and when I need it in an extreme encounter. All I want to have to do is to be able to pull it and hear it go bang. But like I said, that is a personal choice.

As for having a round chambered? Absolutely. If you carry your gun in Condition Three (full magazine, empty chamber, hammer/striker uncocked), you have a poor excuse for a hammer. I know, a fair amount of people claim they can get their gun into battery from this condition quickly, but I have to wonder if they have thought it all out. Suppose your weak hand or arm is disabled (shot, broken from a blow, or trapped)? Now you have a serious problem facing you.

Carry your gun in battery, ready for use and employ a good holster which will protect the trigger. Believe me, when the SHTF, the last thing you want to worry about is what condition your gun is in RIGHT NOW.

SouthernBoy

imported post

ducksandtrucks wrote:
Thanks for all the great info and replies.

First off the LEO's did have the G23 for their side arm, but are moving up to the G22 now. The reason is they believe the female and older deputies will be able to fire more accurate with the larger gun.

Second my uncle would definitely give me the gun, but he has to buy it from the sheriff for the 325, and he has twin 7 year old boys, and a 1 year old girl. He doesnt have the extra cash laying around with that family haha I really dont mind buying it either makes it feel more my own.

Also you said you conceal carry this weapon. How do you do that?? What brand holster?
Thanks
For open carry, I use a Fobus Evolution belt holster. I use this holster for a lot of concealed carry as well. If I want a little deeper concealed carry with my G23, I use a DeSantis Mini Slide belt holster. This one holds the gun closer to the body.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
ducksandtrucks wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

Despite the best efforts of a certain amorphous group of conniving moronic freaks, every state has its own laws regarding firearms. In VA you can OC at age 18 (but you cannot buy a handgun until you are 21). In some states it is 21 for purchase and carry. and in Washington DC it is keep it in the house until the jerks that run that city find some way to circumvent the Second Amendment yet again and confiscate several hundred dollars of weaponry and your protection. Your state's code is online as should also be that of your locality. Research it. And happy shooting, no matter what you choose get in the range time to be familiar with your weapon.
You can buy a handgun at age 18 in Virginia. It just has to be in a private sale or obtained as a gift.