Thread: Open Carrying in the greater Mpls / ST Paul area

Post imported post

Hello,

I am a new permitee , I live in Rochester,Mn. I OC everywhere I go including Mayo Clinic no problems, local Library, all shopping centers including Apache Mall ,Home Depot, Menards,FLeet Farm and even Wells Fargo Bank since it is not posted.I have been questioned once at a Kwik Trip: While paying for a gallon of milk I noticed a nice shiny pair of black shoes out of my peripheal vision and knew leo was present. I anticipated a visit so I moved my car to the pumps and proceeded to fill up and a few minutes later I was approached by a Deputy who asked if I was Ken **** and if I was part of a group of Oc s that had picked trash along the highway and had an article in the local paper , I said no and I volunteered my permit just to help the situation a bit, we chatted and I asked if he wanted to see my drivers license and he said no that I seemed like a nice guy, told me to have a nice day, I thanked him and I left. I have a friend of mine that states that I/we may not open carry in Minneapolis / St Paul or in my bank but I have not read anything that supports his think. I am looking to your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Post imported post

Go to http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/...ml#permitvalid

Check out ? 22

22. If I have a permit to carry a pistol do I have to conceal the pistol?
    No. Minnesota’s Personal Protection Act is a permit to carry law, not a conceal and carry law. The pistol does not need to be concealed, but can be concealed.

St. Paul's Rockin Eastside, Minnesota, USA

Post imported post

boscoman51 wrote:
    Go to http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/...ml#permitvalid

Check out ? 22

22. If I have a permit to carry a pistol do I have to conceal the pistol?
    No. Minnesota’s Personal Protection Act is a permit to carry law, not a conceal and carry law. The pistol does not need to be concealed, but can be concealed.
    Have been told by St. Pauls finest if they see me oc they will arrest me for Disturbing the Peace, tke my gun, make me fight to get it back. Told me the intent of the law was cc. Told friend of mine i would oc for aweekand see what happens, he laughed and said thats u stirring the pot!!!!
    Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you. "Henry Kissinger" A wise man once told me to strive to own one of every type and caliber, and I'm doing my best to comply. JW

Post imported post

jweiss wrote:
    Have been told by St. Pauls finest if they see me oc they will arrest me for Disturbing the Peace, tke my gun, make me fight to get it back. Told me the intent of the law was cc. Told friend of mine i would oc for aweekand see what happens, he laughed and said thats u stirring the pot!!!!
    I have a friend that tells me the same thing, but I think thatsometimes the pot NEEDS to be stirred a little bit.
    Last edited by tletourneau; 06-28-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Thanks,

Tom

----------------------------------
    Springfield XD-40 Service
    Taurus PT-111 Pro (3rd Gen)
    Desert Eagle .50AE Mark VII

Post imported post

Minnesota allows Open Carry or Concealed Carry by anyone who has a Valid permit from their Sheirff's Office.

Interestingly, one needs a Valid Permit, with limited exceptions, to even Openly Carry a Long-Gun.

Minnesota Codes referenced:

Minnesota Code 624.714, 2006 Minn., (Pertains to Pistols only...), and

Minnesota Code 624.7181, 2006 Minn., (Pertains to Long-Guns...).

Quote Originally Posted by tletourneau View Post
    jweiss wrote:
    I have a friend that tells me the same thing, but I think thatsometimes the pot NEEDS to be stirred a little bit.
    If you don't check how will you know if the water is cold?

OC south of the river

Went on a little excursion today just to test the waters south of the river.

-Apple Valley-
    Walmart - no issues, chatted with a couple people about OC ( bought all the .45 ammo they had @ 15.95/50 rds - federal
    Municipal Liquor Store (no signage) - no issues, nice chat with clerk about glocks
    Super America - no issues

Pretty uneventful evening of running around
    - Knowledge is power and there IS strength in numbers -

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jweiss View Post
    boscoman51 wrote:
    False arrest and malicious prosecution. They threaten you with punitive action for committing no crime. That is malicious on its face and the grounds for a great lawsuit. Ask them if they have the balls to say it into a voice recorder. The vast majority of cops are too stupid to discuss the "intent" of the law. A good lawyer can educate them very quickly in court. And in Federal Court there is no immunity for the cop in a 1983 suit. Damages against him and the city are both joint and several.

Went and bought a voice recorder today in Burnsville at Office Max .. No issues, when the clerk asked why I was buying it I told him " to keep everyone honest ". He asked if I was a LEO I told him no and a 15 minute conversation went on about Permit To Carry and open carry .. nice guy .. no issues with me carrying and no signs posted.

Looking forward to finding some information pertaining to Minnesota carry education and keeping it with me. It seems every day I am talking to someone and spreading the word .. to date really no horrible experiences .. some nasty looks but that's about it.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

OC today ..
    Shooters Burnsville - No issues
    White castle in Apple Valley - No issues
    Super America - No issues but a good conversation about the MN permit to carry

All n all a pretty damn nice day!

- Thomas Jefferson

OC today -

Paradise Car Wash Apple Valley - No issues .. some odd looks .. but having the dog on my left, gun on my right, usually makes people think I'm a LEO :[

Starbucks Lakeville - no issues

Blue Max Liquor store - no issues ( didnt even notice )

Planning on going to the State Fair tomorrow to see if I can get past the gate while OC

- Thomas Jefferson

OC around Lakeville, Burnsville, and Apple Valley -

Lakeville liquor store - no issues - approached by a rather rough looking guy in the parking lot who commented on how much he liked the Glock sticker on the back of my truck. As I turned to get in while making small talk my strong side showed and he proclaimed very loudly " I LIKE THAT EVEN MORE, KEEP IT UP " - gave me a smile

White Castle Apple Valley - no issues there either other than a couple stares from other patrons

Gander mountain - no issues

- Thomas Jefferson

Awesome stories, keep up the good work. I'm a resident of WI but I regularly go to MN. I've been thinking about getting my permit to carry, but I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting till after the November election to see if we can get a republican governor in office to sign concealed carry in. Then hopefully I can just get my concealed carry in WI and I'll have reciprocity with MN.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro01 View Post
    Awesome stories, keep up the good work. I'm a resident of WI but I regularly go to MN. I've been thinking about getting my permit to carry, but I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting till after the November election to see if we can get a republican governor in office to sign concealed carry in. Then hopefully I can just get my concealed carry in WI and I'll have reciprocity with MN.
    I would definitely get your MN permit. Do not count on reciprocity with MN when/IF WI does sign a bill into law. Your MN permit if you did obtain it would give you reciprocity with several other states and is worth having if you do carry.

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rotty View Post
    I would definitely get your MN permit. Do not count on reciprocity with MN when/IF WI does sign a bill into law. Your MN permit if you did obtain it would give you reciprocity with several other states and is worth having if you do carry.
    I would have to agree with rotty. Get your MN permit as well. I will do the same if WI ever allows for carry permits. I got my Utah permit and it opens up a lot of states out west.

Not sure where your friend heard you couldn't open carry in Minneapolis/St. Paul, I do so all the time. I seldom completely conceal my weapon, though I often have a polo/button shirt that drapes over it. Usually everything below the trigger guard is still visible. Carried everywhere from the HCSO in Minneapolis to my credit union, city parks. I've never had an issue where someone asked me to leave, or otherwise showed a dislike for my carrying a weapon, but have had a few incidents in which people have had questions.

Regardless, I try to look friendly and approachable while not looking 'soft.' Good luck.

Oc tc

The Caribou Coffee in Roseville is OC friendly, or didn't notice any of the 4 times I was in while plowing snow in the big storm a couple weeks ago....

Same for the Holiday on 65 and Ulysses in Blaine. The Blaine White Castle is on the "nice" list as well, as well as the 4 Anoka County Deputies in there for break!

The grocery store in Isanti is also friendly.

Menards in Forest Lake, White Castle in Forest Lake, Gander Mountain and Applebees in Forest Lake are also all on the nice list.

Had a few nice conversations as well...

I've got the "everyday" gun, now need to look for a Kimber for Sundays....

Are you sure all of those locations are "friendly".

There is a difference between places being friendly, apathetic, or not even noticing....

Just curious...
    Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
    NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Shotshell + Metallic Reloading, RSO)
    Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors

Oc tc

Point taken.

More research necessary, then. Will post as to further findings...

I've had no issues OCing around Plymouth.

I go regularly to Lowes, CVS, Target-no indication anyone noticed. Even had an officer hold the door for me at CVS.

FedEx-some of the employees are clearly uncomfortable, but no one has said anything and the manager seemed at ease.

Holiday at Hwy55 next to Red Robin- no trouble just buying gas at the pump. I sometimes go inside to get a car wash. One cashier got a little wide eyed, otherwise no indication anyone noticed.

Regis hair place in Maple Grove is also cool- the girl cutting my hair took about 10mins to notice, but then we had a nice discussion about carrying in general. Turns out her husband has been trying to get her to carry for a while.

I also OC (when not wearing a coat at least) around our neighborhood with no issues. in fact, we recently had some "undesirables" move in, and my liberal neighbors suddenly wanted me to take more walks.
    Last edited by Daddyo; 01-01-2011 at 12:26 AM.

After the Starbucks incident in Wisconsin, I emailed Caribou Coffee and received an email with this as their response,

"Thank you very much for your email and thank you for taking the time to contact us.

We currently follow all state laws regarding firearms in store locations.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Lisa
    Caribou Coffee Customer Relations"

A simply sweet answer.
    J.A.Salinas
    "Natural Selection is another way of God telling you you're an idiot"

Everywhere

I OC everywhere I go when the weather is warm enough. I have had to produce a permit a few times, but never more than that. Some will freak, some are cool, most have no idea. Carry and be safe.

open carry st.paul/mpls

I work in st.paul and i always open carry, i have never had a problem with cops or anyone for that matter. St.paul cops will arrest you tho if they ask you to conceal you weapon and you do it and they see you later with you weapon showing again. Most cops arrest for disorderly conduct, never disturbing the peace. That officer that said that technically should loose his job.

OC...

Hi all,

I was raised in Hastings and I moved to WI in 2000. In 2007 I abtained my MN carry permit and when I carry in MN, I usually carry concealed. When I'm in WI, I open carry as WI law states that you can ONLY carry a firearm openly. I have been OC'ing in WI for about three years now so I'm quite used to the looks and questions. I usually don't have any problems or issues. A lot of people don't even notice and some that do ask if I'm a cop. Most just look but I believe that with more and more people OC'ing, other people are starting to get used to seeing sidearms which is a good thing.

As far as MN law, the carry permit is just that. A CARRY PERMIT! Your sidearm does not have to be concealed and if you look at your permit it states that it is a permit to carry a pistal. And like others here have pointed out, MN law is very clear about that. So, if a cop starts to harrass you about OC'ing, politely inform him that MN law allows you to carry your sidearm in either fashion, concealed or open.

As you may or may not know, A Constitutional Carry bill SB-93 has pasted the first stage to becoming law by a vote of 3-2. There are I believe two more hurdles that have to be jumped before it becomes law but we are on our way. If this bill passes, then I will be able to OC or conceal carry in WI without a permit, just like the Constitution has intended. That will be fantastic because right now when I go to and from MN to or from WI, I have to unload my XD45 or M&P45......or both when I leave or enter WI. I can't wait.

Tony