• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying in the greater Mpls / ST Paul area

ridemypanhead

imported post

Hello,

I am a new permitee , I live in Rochester,Mn. I OC everywhere I go including Mayo Clinic no problems, local Library, all shopping centers including Apache Mall ,Home Depot, Menards,FLeet Farm and even Wells Fargo Bank since it is not posted.I have been questioned once at a Kwik Trip: While paying for a gallon of milk I noticed a nice shiny pair of black shoes out of my peripheal vision and knew leo was present. I anticipated a visit so I moved my car to the pumps and proceeded to fill up and a few minutes later I was approached by a Deputy who asked if I was Ken **** and if I was part of a group of Oc s that had picked trash along the highway and had an article in the local paper , I said no and I volunteered my permit just to help the situation a bit, we chatted and I asked if he wanted to see my drivers license and he said no that I seemed like a nice guy, told me to have a nice day, I thanked him and I left. I have a friend of mine that states that I/we may not open carry in Minneapolis / St Paul or in my bank but I have not read anything that supports his think. I am looking to your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

jweiss

St. Paul's Rockin Eastside, Minnesota, USA
imported post

:banghead:boscoman51 wrote:
Go to http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/Documents/CarryPermit/FAQs.html#permitvalid

Check out ? 22

22. If I have a permit to carry a pistol do I have to conceal the pistol?
No. Minnesota’s Personal Protection Act is a permit to carry law, not a conceal and carry law. The pistol does not need to be concealed, but can be concealed.
:banghead:Have been told by St. Pauls finest if they see me oc they will arrest me for Disturbing the Peace, tke my gun, make me fight to get it back. Told me the intent of the law was cc. Told friend of mine i would oc for aweekand see what happens, he laughed and said thats u stirring the pot!!!!

tletourneau

imported post

jweiss wrote:
:banghead:Have been told by St. Pauls finest if they see me oc they will arrest me for Disturbing the Peace, tke my gun, make me fight to get it back. Told me the intent of the law was cc. Told friend of mine i would oc for aweekand see what happens, he laughed and said thats u stirring the pot!!!!
I have a friend that tells me the same thing, but I think thatsometimes the pot NEEDS to be stirred a little bit.

Last edited:

aadvark

imported post

Minnesota allows Open Carry or Concealed Carry by anyone who has a Valid permit from their Sheirff's Office.

Interestingly, one needs a Valid Permit, with limited exceptions, to even Openly Carry a Long-Gun.

Minnesota Codes referenced:

Minnesota Code 624.714, 2006 Minn., (Pertains to Pistols only...), and

Minnesota Code 624.7181, 2006 Minn., (Pertains to Long-Guns...).

rotty

OC south of the river

Went on a little excursion today just to test the waters south of the river.

-Apple Valley-
Walmart - no issues, chatted with a couple people about OC ( bought all the .45 ammo they had @ 15.95/50 rds - federal
Municipal Liquor Store (no signage) - no issues, nice chat with clerk about glocks
Super America - no issues

Pretty uneventful evening of running around

Gunslinger

:banghead:boscoman51 wrote:
False arrest and malicious prosecution. They threaten you with punitive action for committing no crime. That is malicious on its face and the grounds for a great lawsuit. Ask them if they have the balls to say it into a voice recorder. The vast majority of cops are too stupid to discuss the "intent" of the law. A good lawyer can educate them very quickly in court. And in Federal Court there is no immunity for the cop in a 1983 suit. Damages against him and the city are both joint and several.

rotty

Went and bought a voice recorder today in Burnsville at Office Max .. No issues, when the clerk asked why I was buying it I told him " to keep everyone honest ". He asked if I was a LEO I told him no and a 15 minute conversation went on about Permit To Carry and open carry .. nice guy .. no issues with me carrying and no signs posted.

Looking forward to finding some information pertaining to Minnesota carry education and keeping it with me. It seems every day I am talking to someone and spreading the word .. to date really no horrible experiences .. some nasty looks but that's about it.

rotty

OC today ..
Shooters Burnsville - No issues
White castle in Apple Valley - No issues
Super America - No issues but a good conversation about the MN permit to carry

All n all a pretty damn nice day!

rotty

OC today -

Paradise Car Wash Apple Valley - No issues .. some odd looks .. but having the dog on my left, gun on my right, usually makes people think I'm a LEO :[

Starbucks Lakeville - no issues

Blue Max Liquor store - no issues ( didnt even notice )

Planning on going to the State Fair tomorrow to see if I can get past the gate while OC

rotty

OC around Lakeville, Burnsville, and Apple Valley -

Lakeville liquor store - no issues - approached by a rather rough looking guy in the parking lot who commented on how much he liked the Glock sticker on the back of my truck. As I turned to get in while making small talk my strong side showed and he proclaimed very loudly " I LIKE THAT EVEN MORE, KEEP IT UP " - gave me a smile

White Castle Apple Valley - no issues there either other than a couple stares from other patrons

Gander mountain - no issues

Pyro01

Awesome stories, keep up the good work. I'm a resident of WI but I regularly go to MN. I've been thinking about getting my permit to carry, but I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting till after the November election to see if we can get a republican governor in office to sign concealed carry in. Then hopefully I can just get my concealed carry in WI and I'll have reciprocity with MN.

rotty

Awesome stories, keep up the good work. I'm a resident of WI but I regularly go to MN. I've been thinking about getting my permit to carry, but I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting till after the November election to see if we can get a republican governor in office to sign concealed carry in. Then hopefully I can just get my concealed carry in WI and I'll have reciprocity with MN.

I would definitely get your MN permit. Do not count on reciprocity with MN when/IF WI does sign a bill into law. Your MN permit if you did obtain it would give you reciprocity with several other states and is worth having if you do carry.

MNBlackjack

I would definitely get your MN permit. Do not count on reciprocity with MN when/IF WI does sign a bill into law. Your MN permit if you did obtain it would give you reciprocity with several other states and is worth having if you do carry.

I would have to agree with rotty. Get your MN permit as well. I will do the same if WI ever allows for carry permits. I got my Utah permit and it opens up a lot of states out west.

ecrist

Not sure where your friend heard you couldn't open carry in Minneapolis/St. Paul, I do so all the time. I seldom completely conceal my weapon, though I often have a polo/button shirt that drapes over it. Usually everything below the trigger guard is still visible. Carried everywhere from the HCSO in Minneapolis to my credit union, city parks. I've never had an issue where someone asked me to leave, or otherwise showed a dislike for my carrying a weapon, but have had a few incidents in which people have had questions.

Regardless, I try to look friendly and approachable while not looking 'soft.' Good luck.

armedwalleye

Oc tc

The Caribou Coffee in Roseville is OC friendly, or didn't notice any of the 4 times I was in while plowing snow in the big storm a couple weeks ago....

Same for the Holiday on 65 and Ulysses in Blaine. The Blaine White Castle is on the "nice" list as well, as well as the 4 Anoka County Deputies in there for break!

The grocery store in Isanti is also friendly.

Menards in Forest Lake, White Castle in Forest Lake, Gander Mountain and Applebees in Forest Lake are also all on the nice list.

Had a few nice conversations as well...

I've got the "everyday" gun, now need to look for a Kimber for Sundays....

robdoar

Are you sure all of those locations are "friendly".

There is a difference between places being friendly, apathetic, or not even noticing....

Just curious... :D

Daddyo

I've had no issues OCing around Plymouth.

I go regularly to Lowes, CVS, Target-no indication anyone noticed. Even had an officer hold the door for me at CVS.

FedEx-some of the employees are clearly uncomfortable, but no one has said anything and the manager seemed at ease.

Holiday at Hwy55 next to Red Robin- no trouble just buying gas at the pump. I sometimes go inside to get a car wash. One cashier got a little wide eyed, otherwise no indication anyone noticed.

Regis hair place in Maple Grove is also cool- the girl cutting my hair took about 10mins to notice, but then we had a nice discussion about carrying in general. Turns out her husband has been trying to get her to carry for a while.

I also OC (when not wearing a coat at least) around our neighborhood with no issues. in fact, we recently had some "undesirables" move in, and my liberal neighbors suddenly wanted me to take more walks.

Last edited: