• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying in the greater Mpls / ST Paul area

AdamXD

After the Starbucks incident in Wisconsin, I emailed Caribou Coffee and received an email with this as their response,

"Thank you very much for your email and thank you for taking the time to contact us.

We currently follow all state laws regarding firearms in store locations.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Lisa
Caribou Coffee Customer Relations"

A simply sweet answer.

mobyclarke

Everywhere

I OC everywhere I go when the weather is warm enough. I have had to produce a permit a few times, but never more than that. Some will freak, some are cool, most have no idea. Carry and be safe.

tom007

open carry st.paul/mpls

I work in st.paul and i always open carry, i have never had a problem with cops or anyone for that matter. St.paul cops will arrest you tho if they ask you to conceal you weapon and you do it and they see you later with you weapon showing again. Most cops arrest for disorderly conduct, never disturbing the peace. That officer that said that technically should loose his job.

aj45acp

OC...

Hi all,

I was raised in Hastings and I moved to WI in 2000. In 2007 I abtained my MN carry permit and when I carry in MN, I usually carry concealed. When I'm in WI, I open carry as WI law states that you can ONLY carry a firearm openly. I have been OC'ing in WI for about three years now so I'm quite used to the looks and questions. I usually don't have any problems or issues. A lot of people don't even notice and some that do ask if I'm a cop. Most just look but I believe that with more and more people OC'ing, other people are starting to get used to seeing sidearms which is a good thing.

As far as MN law, the carry permit is just that. A CARRY PERMIT! Your sidearm does not have to be concealed and if you look at your permit it states that it is a permit to carry a pistal. And like others here have pointed out, MN law is very clear about that. So, if a cop starts to harrass you about OC'ing, politely inform him that MN law allows you to carry your sidearm in either fashion, concealed or open.

As you may or may not know, A Constitutional Carry bill SB-93 has pasted the first stage to becoming law by a vote of 3-2. There are I believe two more hurdles that have to be jumped before it becomes law but we are on our way. If this bill passes, then I will be able to OC or conceal carry in WI without a permit, just like the Constitution has intended. That will be fantastic because right now when I go to and from MN to or from WI, I have to unload my XD45 or M&P45......or both when I leave or enter WI. I can't wait.

Tony