• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anonymous 911 call leads to innocent man held at gun point

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

4sooth wrote:
See JL v Florida. Anonymous tips have NO predictive value where firearms are concerned.

Also Harlow v Fitzgerald 457 U.S. 800. ALL public officials are required as a matter of law to be aware of the law which governs their individual actions.

The person stopped here probably has a good case for 1983 action.
I agree. See http://virginiaduilawyer.clarislaw.com/virginia-dui/supreme-court-wont-review-virginia-case-re-anonymous-tip-about-suspected-drunken-driving.php(reporting that the US S. Ct. declined to review decision of the S. Ct. of Va. to suppress evidence of anonymous tip that a driver was drunk).

mymokie

imported post

This is intresting..... Around this same time a few days before or after. We were driving on Redwood Road No toward Eagle Mount, Lehi cross roads and there was a Mustang Red, from Cali. Driving erratically and almost hit a snow bank he was infront of us, when I decided I had better do something I called 911 and told of the car, they knew who I was because I had called long time ago on some one drinking a beer in there car. Anyway gave them all info and that I saw a patrol car right before Smiths had someone pulled over the 911 dispatch said "Are you willing to sign a complaint?" I said "Are you kidding me I'm on my way out to Herriman for x-mas celebrations" she said they could not do anything about it unless I wanted to sign a complaint. The Drunk kept driving about his biusness. I'm just glad he went in a different direction.Hope noone died because of him,,,,,:X

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

mymokie wrote:
This is intresting..... Around this same time a few days before or after. We were driving on Redwood Road No toward Eagle Mount, Lehi cross roads and there was a Mustang Red, from Cali. Driving erratically and almost hit a snow bank he was infront of us, when I decided I had better do something I called 911 and told of the car, they knew who I was because I had called long time ago on some one drinking a beer in there car. Anyway gave them all info and that I saw a patrol car right before Smiths had someone pulled over the 911 dispatch said "Are you willing to sign a complaint?" I said "Are you kidding me I'm on my way out to Herriman for x-mas celebrations" she said they could not do anything about it unless I wanted to sign a complaint. The Drunk kept driving about his biusness. I'm just glad he went in a different direction.Hope noone died because of him,,,,,:X
Dispatch typically would be asking if you were willing to sign a complaint in the event that LEO located the vehicle but did not see anything that justified THEM stopping the driver.

kirkaroberts

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
The cops get a call about a man using a gun in a threatening manner. Had they reacted any other way, they'd have been way behind the curve had it been a legitimate complaint. This type of false report is becoming a new tactic of certain low lifes.

Rather than making the cops risk life and limb by screaming at them about gestapo tactics, until they respond with no show of force on "man weilding gun in a dangerous manner" calls, it looks like it's time to make the penalty for calling one like this in a straight up bad news proposition.

kirkaroberts

imported post

caverat wrote:
Francis Marion wrote:
The anonymous caller committed assault with a deadly weapon using a cop as proxy and should be charged with the crime and not just with submitting a false report. Now they just have to identify the real perp.

I agree
I am not familiar with that law. Does it actually exist? Doesn't the cop actually have to shoot the person for it to be an assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, murder, or is just pointing a gun at someone assault with a deadly weapon. I guess I don't know the law on this one.

YoZUpZ

imported post

I don't know specific utah law, but in many states, saying you're going to beat someone up doesn't constitute assault, but raising a bat/wrench/pipe/fist/gun/etc... In a manner that leads them to believe that you are going to use it is classified as assault, whether they actually use it or not.

I don't know about assault with a deadly weapon, but I definitely could see assault and forceful kidnapping being valid charges (with additional penalties because a firearm was used in the "kidnapping"... I'll check into specific utah law if someone doesn't beat me to it.

swillden

imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
I am not familiar with that law. Does it actually exist? Doesn't the cop actually have to shoot the person for it to be an assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, murder, or is just pointing a gun at someone assault with a deadly weapon. I guess I don't know the law on this one.
Aggravated assault is the actual name of the crime. The definition of the crime is build up from the definition of assault, so it makes sense to start there.

Assault (76-5-102) is defined as "a threat, accompanied by a show of immediate force... to do bodily injury to another". If I threaten to punch you in the nose and then cock my fist back, I have assaulted you under Utah law.

That's one part of the definition, anyway. If I actually punch you, that's also assault, under a different part of the definition.

Aggravated assault (76-5-103) is defined as Assault + use of a dangerous weapon (or force likely to produce serious injury; so a threatened kick to the head is also aggravated assault, even though no weapon is used).

So, threatening to shoot someone and showing them a gun is aggravated assault, even if you don't actually shoot them. There's also no requirement that the threat be verbal. If I point a gun at you, that's a clear threat and a show of immediate deadly force. So just pointing a gun at someone is aggravated assault.

Sam is absolutely right that an argument could be made for charging the caller with aggravated assault. Technically, we could probably make the same charge against the police officers, on the grounds that they did not have a reasonable belief that the man they stopped was dangerous, and so did not have justification for pointing guns at him. But no judge is going to buy that; police get a lot of leeway.

kirkaroberts

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
Francis has hit the nail on the head. +1. Assault with a deadly weapon by proxy unless the report was an honest, good faith mistake.

Let me offer a counter perspective to the false dichotomy presented by kirk and 41mag. Both argue (at least implicitly) that the only choice is for police to either ignore anonymous calls, OR to make a full up felony stop every time someone anonymously reports a driver threatening with a gun.

There is a third option (and maybe a fourth or fifth). Make a stop to investigate but do so without automatically pointing loaded guns at people who may well have done nothing wrong.

Some years ago while driving to work a police officer pulled in behind me and turned on his lights. I knew I'd done nothing wrong so was a little surprised. I pulled over and as is my habit, had my license, registration, and insurance card ready as he walked up to my window.

Only then did I notice he had his hand on his holstered firearm and had stopped in a defensive position slightly behind me. He said, "Please keep your hands on the wheel where I can see them for a few moments." I complied and he proceeded to walk up to the front of my car where he quickly examined the front of my car all while keeping a close eye on me and his hand on his firearm.

He then relaxed, took his hand off his gun, walked back to my window and explained, "I'm sorry for the problem. We've had a hit and run and from the back, your car matched the description. However, from the front end it is obvious this is not the car that was involved. Thank you for your cooperation. Have a nice day." And with that he was back in his cruiser and headed out, I presume, to look for the hit and run car.

Now I recognize that a hit and run is not exactly the same as someone being armed and dangerous. My point is simply that it looks to me like a police officer can make a stop where the person may be dangerous and do so in such a way that protects the officer without needlessly subjecting the suspect to the danger, trauma, or invasion of being drawn down on and handcuffed.

I'd have been pretty upset had I been handcuffed, had a gun pointed at me, or forced to lie down in the street in any but my worst work-in-the-yard clothing. As it was, the entire stop lasted less than 2 minutes and I continue to hold in my mind an image of a consummate professional, doing his job while both protecting himself and respecting the public.

The stop in this news story did not happen on some rural road where back up was 30 minutes or more away. There were not multiple, independent calls about a mad man waving a gun around or shooting at people. The one caller refused to give his name despite following the guy for several miles.

Yes, an investigatory stop should have been made. NO, it was not justified to do so as a full felony stop, guns drawn, and forcing a man face down on the ground.

Charles
I do see your point, however, if the person was in fact waiving a gun around, perhaps had just robbed and killed someone, he may be laying in wait, gun drawn, ready for an officer who cautiously approaches the vehicle with his hand on a holstered firearm. Now the officer has to draw his weapon and fire before the bad guy just squeezes a trigger. Seconds count. I think the real solution is stiff penalties for false reports that result in felony stops and methods for identifying the caller. It's a tough subject.

We did just have an officer killed in Utah. My heart goes out to her family, friends, and fellow officers.

The officer who handled your possible "hit and run" certainly handled it very well in my opinion. He may have exposed himself to being run over if he walked in front of your car but it sounds like he treated you well.

kirkaroberts

imported post

swillden wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:
Aggravated assault is the actual name of the crime. The definition of the crime is build up from the definition of assault, so it makes sense to start there.

Assault (76-5-102) is defined as "a threat, accompanied by a show of immediate force... to do bodily injury to another". If I threaten to punch you in the nose and then cock my fist back, I have assaulted you under Utah law.

That's one part of the definition, anyway. If I actually punch you, that's also assault, under a different part of the definition.

Aggravated assault (76-5-103) is defined as Assault + use of a dangerous weapon (or force likely to produce serious injury; so a threatened kick to the head is also aggravated assault, even though no weapon is used).

So, threatening to shoot someone and showing them a gun is aggravated assault, even if you don't actually shoot them. There's also no requirement that the threat be verbal. If I point a gun at you, that's a clear threat and a show of immediate deadly force. So just pointing a gun at someone is aggravated assault.

Sam is absolutely right that an argument could be made for charging the caller with aggravated assault. Technically, we could probably make the same charge against the police officers, on the grounds that they did not have a reasonable belief that the man they stopped was dangerous, and so did not have justification for pointing guns at him. But no judge is going to buy that; police get a lot of leeway.
I understand the assault definition but just not that the person making the false complaint has met the definition. I think it's a slam dunk for a false police report and believe malicious false police reports should have a different definition than a standard false report. One that causes this kind of response from the police should have much stiffer penalties. It did put the driver of the car at risk. We all know that even well intentioned police officers can have accidental shootings. I believe in prevention. If someone knows that they can be tracked and prosecuted harshly for something like this, they will be less likely to do it. I would like to see the prevention of the calls, I just don't know how to identify everyone who does it.

Will you please explain how you connect the assault to the jerk who made the false report. Is there something in the law that makes that leap? I guess I just don't see it. I wish I did.:( Has anyone in Utah ever been prosecuted for assault for making a false police report?? I don't know.

Also, I think the police were acting in good faith based on admittedly bad information, but how are they supposed to decide which calls are real and which are not?:( I will admit that I am a former 911 fire/EMS dispatcher and we did not screen calls. They all received a response, even when we knew it was a B.S. call. Not very often, but on occasion the calls that we thought were B.S. turned out to be valid. I know the police dispatch side was different, but I really don't think it is wise to have a police dispatcher decline to dispatch officers on a report of a man waving a firearm. I truly think the focus should be on the caller and not the police or 911 dispatchers.

I still owe you lunch. I am not kidding. Let's pick a day.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
swillden wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:

I understand the assault definition but just not that the person making the false complaint has met the definition. I think it's a slam dunk for a false police report and malicious false police reports should have a different definition than a standard false report. One that causes this kind of response from the police should have much stiffer penalties. I believe in prevention. If someone knows that they can be tracked and prosecuted harshly for something like this, they will be less likely to do it. I would like to see the prevention of the calls, I just don't know how to identify everyone who does it.

I still owe you lunch. I am not kidding.
Every time that I have called 911 while on my cell phone to report somethingthey have asked me for my name and contact info... I guess that I just assumed they had caller ID and had my mobile number ALREADY!

kirkaroberts

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:
swillden wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:

I understand the assault definition but just not that the person making the false complaint has met the definition. I think it's a slam dunk for a false police report and malicious false police reports should have a different definition than a standard false report. One that causes this kind of response from the police should have much stiffer penalties. I believe in prevention. If someone knows that they can be tracked and prosecuted harshly for something like this, they will be less likely to do it. I would like to see the prevention of the calls, I just don't know how to identify everyone who does it.

I still owe you lunch. I am not kidding.
Every time that I have called 911 while on my cell phone to report somethingthey have asked me for my name and contact info... I guess that I just assumed they had caller ID and had my mobile number ALREADY!
I don't think they can identify every caller, especially from throw away cell phones. Also, I think you can call 911 from old cell phones that aren't even activated or connected to an account. I get a new cell phone about once every two years and I honestly have no idea where the phones I have had since back in the 90's are. I think I need to start taking a sledge hammer to them (Except the battery).

Does blocking caller ID work with the 911 system? I am not sure about Utah, but in many states the 911 capabilities vary from service area to service area. Do you know what the capabilities are? What were the 911 capabilities where this incident occurred? My current phone has my location turned on so I can be found if I call 911 and can't communicate where I am. My number is not "blocked" but I receive calls from "blocked" numbers on occasion.

I don't think it is as simple as having caller ID. It should be.