• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feds no gun zone works well

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What did work well was the fact that there were armed men at the door who prevented further loss of life. Most of us make no distinction that they had badges.

opusd2

imported post

I saw a little bit of the video on the news last night. With all of the gunfire it sounded like a scene out of an action movie. Which, I guess, it was.

Gordie

imported post

Thankfully, he didn't make past the lobby. As said before, just shows what immediate armed response can do. Just think if he had been able to just walk into whatever office he had wanted to, like you canat mostschools.

Dreamer

imported post

Reports range anywhere from 45 to 100 shots fired. We won't know the REAL shot count until the "official" forensics report is files, which could take months...

Let's say this BG had an "extended capacity" shotgun with an 8rd tube. If he got off every round, that leaves, at the low estimate, 37 shots fired by the LEO's present.

What I am most curious about in this incident is the shot distribution. ow many good guys did the BG hit? And how many bullets fired by the LEO's hit their mark in the BG?

What the really important forensic statistic in this incident will be is the shots fired/hits ratios of both sides of the event.

I imagine we will find that the LEO's in this situation have a very similar hit ratio that is the "reported average shot/hit ratio" of LEO's nationwide in gunfights, as reported by the DOJ, which is somewhere between 18 and 34% (depending on city and agency--Feds tend to be MUCH more accurate than urban municipal LEOs, and Sheriff's Deputies tend to be just a few percent below Feds...)

Dreamer

imported post

Here is a VERY in-depth article about Johnny Lee Wick's (the gunman) background. It's a very telling tale of a lifelong violent criminal who finally decided to go out in a "blaze of glory"...

http://www.lvrj.com/news/Authorities-81-shots-fired-at-courthouse-shooter-80727872.html?numComments=43

This article states that Wick's used a Mossberg shotgun, and fired a total of 5 rounds, killing one security officer and wounding a Deputy US Marshall in the arm.

LEO's returned fire (including the first victim, who, reports say, bravely got one shot off before he was slain). This report says that LEO's fired a total of 81 rounds at Wicks--the final shot that put him down was a head shot. It has been reported (but not confirmed) that Wicks was hit TWICE--once in the stomach and once in the head:

Wicks: 2/5 = 0.4 = 40%
LEO's 2/81 = 0.025 = 2.5%

So I guess I was wrong. The responding officers in this incident had a hit ratio that was less than 10% of the national average for LEO gunfights.

Looks like some re-training is in order in Las Vegas...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Here is a VERY in-depth article about Johnny Lee Wick's (the gunman) background. It's a very telling tale of a lifelong violent criminal who finally decided to go out in a "blaze of glory"...

http://www.lvrj.com/news/Authorities-81-shots-fired-at-courthouse-shooter-80727872.html?numComments=43

This article states that Wick's used a Mossberg shotgun, and fired a total of 5 rounds, killing one security officer and wounding a Deputy US Marshall in the arm.

LEO's returned fire (including the first victim, who, reports say, bravely got one shot off before he was slain). This report says that LEO's fired a total of 81 rounds at Wicks--the final shot that put him down was a head shot. It has been reported (but not confirmed) that Wicks was hit TWICE--once in the stomach and once in the head:

Wicks: 2/5 = 0.4 = 40%
LEO's 2/81 = 0.025 = 2.5%

So I guess I was wrong. The responding officers in this incident had a hit ratio that was less than 10% of the national average for LEO gunfights.

Looks like some re-training is in order in Las Vegas...
This is mind blowing. It can mean only one thing; they're pulling the trigger without a target in their sights. Just blasting away in a general direction.

I'd like to know how many of the Police Shots were just plain blind firing, and how many ended up hitting someone other than the intended target. No one ever bothers to count how often the Police do more damage than the supposed perpetrator... Maybe not in this circumstance, but there are not a small number of cases where the police do more killing than if the BG had just been left alone to do his/her thing... Just because they suck at shooting and don't think it through.

Because 'they' are highly trained professionals, and only 'they' should have guns.... You know, because they are far more competent in using them than anyone else could ever be... :quirky I've still never met the Police Officer that even comes close to my skill level with a firearm. When they come to the range, I leave.