• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a fixed blade for EDC back up

TehGruu

imported post

Hello, I'm looking into geting a new fixed blade for EDC. I know some people like folders, but for defense, I prefer a fixed blade. They just are quicker to be put into action at least for me, and yes, I have had to draw one. I have a Gerber folder that I carry for when I need a cutting tool.

Anyway, I used to carry a CRKT fixed blade that's just a little over 4 inches. I had it for several years now and while it's still a good blade that I trust, I am looking for something new. I would prefer something that is about 5" that is Texas legal i.e. not double edged. I would also like one that can be carried horizontal as well as vertical, depending on type of dress and such.

I really like the look of some Wilson knives, the Tactical Fighter, model 2 I believe it was, looked really nice, but I am not to keen to drop 280 bucks on a blade. I would like to stay under $150.00 if I can. However, if I have to go higher, so be it. I've done some research, but it's been so long since I went knife shopping. I checked Spyderco, Cold Steel and such, but I'm not a big fan of some of the "modern" looks. I also looked at Columbia River's website, but nothing struck my fancy. So, I turn to you gentlemen here. I hope you can help. Thanks!

I posted this on the M1911 forums as well but figured a lot of you gentlemen (I use the term loosely for some :) ) and ladies might be able to help as well.

-Gruu

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TehGruu wrote:
...SNIP

I posted this on the M1911 forums as well but figured a lot of you gentlemen (I use the term loosely for some :) ) and ladies might be able to help as well.

-Gruu

You might have better luck posting to a KNIFE forum. But have you looked at the Ka-Bar BK&T Campanion. IT is not pretty but BK&T knives moto "knives that work for a living" is VERY accurate. This blade is one DURABLE puppy and should be Texas Legal to carry.

Regards

PS - Yes it is spelled CAMPanion not COmpanion.

TehGruu

imported post

Well, if you know of any good knife forums, I would appreciate a link. As I'm more of a gun than a knife guy, I posted where I frequent. And I feel that I should mention, I'm not trying to be snarky, text fails to convey inflection. :)

I appreciate the link to Ka-bar.

-Gruu

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TehGruu wrote:
Well, if you know of any good knife forums, I would appreciate a link.  As I'm more of a gun than a knife guy, I posted where I frequent.  And I feel that I should mention, I'm not trying to be snarky, text fails to convey inflection.  :) 

I appreciate the link to Ka-bar. 

-Gruu

Well here are the top two that Google found in a search for "knife forum" on my computer you may get different results-

Knifeforums.com
BladeForums.com

There are WAY too many to list, but these two have been around for a long time.

Michigander

imported post

Find a bowie knife you like that has a good sheath. You can also modify your sheath, make a new one, or have one custom made if you really want to spend the extra money.

The basic Bowie knife design is as close to an all purpose knife as I've ever found. Well suited to fighting, kitchen use, cutting packaging, whatever you need. Got a strong but pointy tip, a good cutting edge in most cases, and a very comfortable grip.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bowies and 7" blades are illegal in Texas. In fact Bowies are not just illegal to carry down there, in some cases they are illegal to possess. Yea I know, I too think it is stupid, but that is the law in Texas.

Texas
Summary: Folders under 5.5" OK.
Max length: 5.5"
Specifically illegal: Switchblade, throwing knives, daggers (in general), bowie knives, swords and spears.
Relevant laws:Penal Code 46
Quirks: The one state people associate with Bowie knives explicitly forbids them.

Dreamer

imported post

If you dig Gerber knives, you might want to look into their LMF-II:

http://www.rockynational.com/1858_22-01629_Gerber_LMF_II_Infantry_Black_with_Sheath.html

If you prefer a more traditional look with a stag horn handle, look at the Freeman:

http://www.rockynational.com/5903_22-01832_Gerber_Freeman_Stag_S30V_Drop_Point.html

Cold Steel makes some nice larger knives with a unique look, and VERY thick, strong blades. The "Military Classsic" is a fine looking piece of cutlery:

http://www.coldsteel.com/micl.html

But I'll admit, if I were going to buy a Cold Steel knife right now, it woul dbe their "OSS" model. This knife is just a beautiful piece of industrial design, and the price is VERY reasonable:

http://www.coldsteel.com/oss.html

Good luck finding a blade that fits your needs. There is a mind-numbing selection of quality knives out there, and even in your price range, you can get a REALLY nice knife that will perform for years!

TehGruu

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Good luck finding a blade that fits your needs. There is a mind-numbing selection of quality knives out there, and even in your price range, you can get a REALLY nice knife that will perform for years!

Hey, thanks. You aren't kidding about the crazy selection. The last fixed blade I bought, I selected in person. This was back when dial-up internet was state of the art. I've been looking online for something that might work so much the past couple of days that my eyes may start bleeding soon.

Yeah, Hawk, Michigander,I totally agree with you about the banning of Bowies as a carry option is a disgrace.

Everyone else, thank you so much for your input. I've been checking out the knife forums as well. I was looking for input from those here that view their firearm as their primary defense with the knife being a last ditch weapon like I do.

-Gruu

Alexcabbie

imported post

Check out the latest Guns and Ammo. There is an ad there for a pistol bayonet :question:

The thing clamps onto a Picatinny rail. Dumbest thing I have seen on a pistol, ever.

I am reminded of a story about a recruit undergoing bayonet training wherin the Sergeant said that if the bayonet became stuck in bone, to fire a round and let the recoil jerk the bayonet free. The soldier replied: "Beggin' the Sergeant's pardon, but if'n I got a round in my rifle, there ain't gonna be no bayonet fightin'.

Honestly, a "pistol bayonet"? :banghead: