• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Desperate for success, 'Handgun supporters collect food for needy' Fox11onLine.com Little Chute

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/mobile/handgun-supporters-collect-food-for-needy-
LITTLE CHUTE - Customers at the Save A Lot food store in Little Chute pitched in to help a local food bank. But in addition to the non perishable items collected it was hard to miss the handguns in holsters on those doing the collecting.
"We're doing awareness for open carry and concealed carry in Wisconsin," said Michael Long.
Long is a criminal justice student at Fox Valley Technical College and the county coordinator for i-carry dot org. He used to be against the idea of being able to carry a gun in public, but changed his mind and purchased his first gun back in June.
"I thought firearms were the reason people were dying, guns kill people. Then I realized it's not the guns it's the people operating the firearms," said Long.
The Wisconsin Anti Violence Effort opposes more people carrying holstered guns, the director saying more guns do not lead to less violence. We spoke with a representative earlier this year.

"There are increased risks to individuals and society therefore we can't possible support that kind of action," said Jeri Bonavia, WAVE director.
Long and other local gun carriers say the response from shoppers was nearly all positive. They also say they were able to get their message out and campaign for a concealed carry law.
"By allowing conceal carry it has a great crime deterrent because criminals don't know who is and who is not able to defend themselves, so they are less likely to attack people in a violent fashion," said Shaun Kranish, icarry.org founder.
The Wisconsin Anti Violence Effort disagrees.
"Those people being armed are not going to provide a higher degree of safety for themselves or for us," said Bonavia.
I-carry dot org members plan to hold similar community projects in the future to help the needy and raise awareness.

gbu28

imported post

If you had read the Icarry website at the correct hour (I believe the posts didn't last an hour before being deleted) you would have seen 2 posts discussing that someone had spoke with the local pd there beforehand and the local pd informed the person that the new location was in a school zone and open carry would not be allowed, even though it was private property. One of the posters stated that the local pd was incorrect (obviously) and the poster would speak to the local pd in the morning. Then the posts were removed from the forum.

So for a short time, open carry was abandoned at the incorrect response of the local pd.

The funny part for me was that I was busy that day so couldn't make it but when I read those posts I had every intention of rearranging my schedule so I could go there myself to oc and see if their bite is as big as their bark. But apparently the pd backed down, much to the organizers credit I'm sure.

I'll have to try to attend the next one.

Never ask permission to do a lawful activity. That can't be stressed enough.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

gbu28 wrote:
I don't screenshot everything I look at.
I'll try that on Milady wife when next she rails at me, "Not another book!" I just finished Asimov's secular history of Biblical times, Asimov's Complete Guide to the Bible. Coincidentally we had Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven so now I'm looking for a good history of the millennium leading up to the Crusades.

Apropos the Bible; the radio talkshow host that I'm listening to just now, Neal Boortz WSB Atlanta, mentioned waterboarding. The Bible tells of a king IIRC being killed by waterboarding. I'll see if I can't come up with a citation...

2 Kings 8:15 Now on the day after, Hazael took the bed-cover, and making it wet with water, put it over Ben-hadad's face, causing his death: and Hazael became king in his place.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
The Wisconsin Anti Violence Effort disagrees.
"Those people being armed are not going to provide a higher degree of safety for themselves or for us," said Bonavia.
I-carry dot org members plan to hold similar community projects in the future to help the needy and raise awareness.
They keep playing that old clip of her spewing her anti-gunrhetoric without even a fabricated statistic to back it up. The sad part is that she is far better at unification and fund raising than is the gun rights movement in WI as a whole.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

gbu28 wrote:
someone had spoke with the local pd there beforehand and the local pd informed the person that the new location was in a school zone and open carry would not be allowed, even though it was private property. One of the posters stated that the local pd was incorrect (obviously) and the poster would speak to the local pd in the morning. Then the posts were removed from the forum.

So for a short time, open carry was abandoned at the incorrect response of the local pd.
Never ask permission to do a lawful activity. That can't be stressed enough.
Although there was temporary confusion on the front end, by "informing" the local PD that an event was to take place and ironing out the issues ahead of time, there was no maverick cop trying to write a citation because of their ignorance of the law. Even a baseless citation looks bad in the war for public support.