• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Community College Carry

Jay

imported post

I was thinking about attending a New Hampshire community college. I could not find any topics on the subject in the forum so here we go. I found this in the student manual for River Valley Community College under prohibited items.

12. Possession of firearms, explosives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals
on CCSNH college premises (including in vehicles) except as authorized by
the college for instructional, maintenance, or law enforcement purposes;

Is this allowed since the college is owned by the State of New Hampshire??

First Responder

imported post

I hope you can make the Jan. 6th and/or Jan. 11 protest at the state house for a "empty holster " protest because there are rules and bills being pushed restricting your NH 2A rights and RSA statutes even more.

Even NH government doesn't appear to follow the laws they make that is why I'll be in Concord tomorrow at the protest and speaking with District #10 reps.

There is no NH statute prohibiting carrying on campus and Tile XII Chp. 159
RSA 159:26 claims all prohibition must come from the legislature.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-26.htmHB 1635

You should let every firearm owner you know to either get out there and make themselves know or at least contact their reps to stop these two anti 2A bills.

HB 1653
AN ACT prohibiting the open carrying of a firearm in a public building

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2010/HB1635.html

HB 1654
AN ACT Relative to house security

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2010/HB1654.html

Check out www.FreeKeene.com, I believe that they were planing some school informational activities on citizens rights.

Contact Sara Adler in CT, a student that lobbies on campus for student carry if you need additional info

http://www.facebook.com/#/adlersaj

Jay

imported post

First Responder wrote:
I hope you can make the Jan. 6th and/or Jan. 11 protest at the state house for a "empty holster " protest because there are rules and bills being pushed restricting your NH 2A rights and RSA statutes even more.
I will try and make it the 11th.

So I am right that currently the college has to follow the letter of the law. So my next question is how do I get them to change there policy to allow gun carry. Because something in the back of my head tells me. They are not going to give a s**t what I say. Even if I staple the statue to there forehead while I :banghead:

pgauthier

imported post

Jay, I support open carry, but the community colleges of NH are not owned or operated by the state. For the past year and a half they have been separating from the state, and like any other college can define and enforce their own rules regarding what is allowed on campus.
Please don't let this stop you from attending though - they are great schools with great staff and a very low crime rate. In fact, I am employed by the CCSNH and can tell you that each of the 7 colleges publishes annual crime statistics on their websites as required by law.

Jay

imported post

pgauthier wrote:
I am employed by the CCSNH and can tell you that each of the 7 colleges publishes annual crime statistics on their websites as required by law.
I thank you for your support on open carry. I did not realize they were no longer part of the state because I saw that the state department of human resources does the hiring and job postings for the community colleges. As far as the crime statistics go have you personally looked at them because I have looked at three of the community college statistics on their respected websites. According to the ones I have looked at there has never been any crime. There are 0's under every category I find that a little hard to believe especially at Manchester College.

pgauthier

imported post

You got me there Jay, I have no idea how accurate these reports are, but they are required by what is called the "Cleary Act" and are supposed to include all criminal activity on the campus.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

I'm guessing you live in or around Lebanon,NH and are looking at the Community College's in and around the surrounding county's? Having worked in Grafton county and lived in Sullivan county for most of my life I can tell you that for the most part the crime in the two county's is vary low. Most of the crime we get is drug related. Having attended the Claremont Community college before the change's to the community college system took place. Then it was NCTC now it's renamed to River Valley Community College. I can tell you Their is no crime at the college's really to speak of. I have also attend the NCTC in Laconia and I can tell you that all community colleges are not equal AT ALL. The Claremont one is vary nice and kept clean and has a vary nice lay out to it Vs the Laconia one that is vary dirty and has a vary crappy lay out to them. But things may have changed at the Laconia one sence 2005 when I attended it. The Claremont one was just remodeled and looks even better now then it did in 2005. Vary good college system just not for me as I wanted to work on a BS/BA right off the bat and stay at one school and not have to worry about transferring to a new school after two years. I would also look into GSC ( Granite State College) they are a vary good college as well and offer both BS/BA and AS degree's another huge plus is unlike the Community colleges who's classes are 3 credit's each and you need ( last i checked) 6 credit's to be part time and 12 to be full time and get Aid. Granite State College classes are 4 credits each so you can take one class and be classified a full time student VS needing two or more classes.

Jay

imported post

Thanks for the information I really did not think that they have a high crime. It is just the principle that is all. Yes I am looking into the River Valley College. I am not for a BA just a couple A&P classes. I am looking to get into a program at Dartmouth Medical Center and A&P is the prereq for the program

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Just keep in mind that at that college to receive the full extent of your finical aid/grants you have to be a full time student ( 12 credits). No idea what your life is like but most people have to work and still like a life outside of work and school. At River Valley and other NCTC's 12 credits is three class's. To receive any aid at all you have to be a part time student at six credits ( two classes) at four to five hours per class. So if your looking to pay for your schooling out of pocket they are great schools. Being a young family man and working I did not have time to due all that on top of the fact stated in the above post I made about wanting a BA degree. Granite state is state wide college like NCTC system if your out and have time look into them they have offices in Claremont in the center of town (Pleasant street) as well as in Lebanon.

Jay

imported post

I am taking two classes at six credits so I will receive half the of the available financial aid. The two classes are on-line except for the A&P Lab. I can deal with going to the college one night a week. Then sitting at home and doing the rest of it from the comfort of my couch.

Rush2112

imported post

I also attend a NH community college and would prefer to carry, though I don't currently for obvious reasons. Crime statistics aside, it's a matter of doing what I want where I want. This is what annoys me most. Now that they've been privatized, I don't see this happening. And, as there is no real campus community (no dorms etc), I don't see any point in trying to organize a group of students to support this cause.

The most annoying part is that I often don't come from/return to home directly, which means I often have to leave my firearm at home.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Rush2112 wrote:
I also attend a NH community college and would prefer to carry, though I don't currently for obvious reasons. Crime statistics aside, it's a matter of doing what I want where I want. This is what annoys me most. Now that they've been privatized, I don't see this happening. And, as there is no real campus community (no dorms etc), I don't see any point in trying to organize a group of students to support this cause.

The most annoying part is that I often don't come from/return to home directly, which means I often have to leave my firearm at home.
I take it by your profile location your attending the Laconia college(Lakes Region CC)? I was there back in 2005 for a fire science degree and man back then the place was a dump hole. No idea what it's like now ( Hoping it's better) but I would not have walked in the parking lot at night for any amount of money. I spent a week there and transferred back to my home town CC. About not being armed you could do one of two things. A) Buy a little gun safe and disarm and store your gun and ammo in your safe in your car. Now you would still be parking your car on school grounds so they may still try and kicked you out ( if they ever found out you had a weapon in your car). So plan B) you could park your car at public place and then walk to school. Again I have not been down there in years so you may not be able to do A or B.

Rush2112

imported post

Taking fire science as well. A would not work because it's against their policy and B would not work because there's no nearby parking to speak of. And I think they remodeled a few years ago. It's ok but still nothing to write home about.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Rush2112 wrote:
Taking fire science as well. A would not work because it's against their policy and B would not work because there's no nearby parking to speak of. And I think they remodeled a few years ago. It's ok but still nothing to write home about.
Yeah they started to remodel and where building a new building next to the main college when I was there back in 2005. But the main college building was a POS and nothing like the nice one in our town. When I first applyed there I was signed up to do the live in program they have there. That allows you to live at a near by fire station and respond to calls with them while your in school. It was nice but I got home sick and wanted the hell out of that town so I moved back home and attended college at the local CC. It really comes down to how bad you want your tool should the need to defend your life come up. Get some mace so you will have something. I disliked the CC systems I cant really speak about them now that they are no longer state run but back in 2004-2005 the state still ran them and they sucked. I attend Grainte State College now and I can bring my gun with me as the College is in the middle of down town. So I park right in front of the college on the street and not on the student parking lot in the rear of the building.

We-the-People

imported post

I'm having a Comm Coll fiht here in Oregon on firearms carry. Ours are not OWNED by the state but are DISTRICTS authorized by the state and tax the people to provide for their revenue. As such they are MUNICIPAL CORPORAITIONS of the state (much like a city of county).

Every state is different but if your "privatized" Community Colleges are being operated by tax dollars through any sort of district there is a good chance that legally they are still bound by the states preemption statute on firearms.

I'd be interested to know as my wife and I are looking to relocate from Oregon (too many Commiefornians coming here and bringing their silly ideas on "freedom") and New Hampshire looks pretty good on the freedom and liberty scale.