• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I get some help with a letter?

Would you support lowering the age of carry (handguns) down to 18?

• Definitely, give the youngins a chance!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe.... I am not sure

• No, they are not mature enough to carry

• No comment, I am just a lurker!

• Total voters

Trigger Dr

imported post

Call the game I will be there. 1245A Defender, we have shot before let's team up and show them a trick or two.If we cannot find a place OC friendly, we can always go to one of the Senior Centers, they are operated by either the city or county.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

This is what I found as to the atmosphere in Olympia when it comes to firearms.
While the Democrats can stop any firearms law from moving along they do not have enough votes to take anything away either.

I was looking into the issue of State Emergency Powers of the Governor where the RCW would allow her to restrict firearms outside the home or business during a time of a declare emergency.

The glitch to this is that State Preemption prohibits this action by the Governor along with THE ROBERT T. STAFFORD DISASTER RELIEF AND EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE ACT that was passed after the New Orleans gun confiscation.

So after discussions it was best to leave as is and if we were ever presented with this situation the defense with State Preemption is there to support us.

This is not to discourage you, just wanted to ensure you do not get discouraged by hitting road blocks. Work on it and seek information and hopefully the climate will change in Olympia where your work could be put into play.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

So for now I am stuck in one place, but for the time being, the best thing to do is inform, and inform, more, and more people about our rights.

Really, I think we have nothing to gain, because our right is our right, but we have it to lose. We are just fighting to keep what's left of it.

Trigger Dr, I'll just use a stock cue stick. :)

I need to get to the pool hall in rainier beach and practice!!!

kschmadeka

imported post

I think this is an ideal year to bring up the issue and I'm going to be floating it past some legislators myself soon. The issue is being raised by libsin connection with the Assault Weapon bill, named after 18 year old Aaron Sullivan, who was murdered last year, and of course was unarmed at the time. I brought this up in my op-ed here, which was in the legislative news roundups: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100102/OPINION03/701029999

First step in floating an idea is to write your bill, and I've got one readyhere: http://frpwa.com/?page_id=101

Whether it stands a good chance this year or not, the sooner you start on an issue, the sooner you get to the finish line. Lawmakers who want to tout the name of Aaron Sullivan will have a hard time ignoring this if it gets dropped, and when the AWB gets dropped, pro-gun legislators will likely be looking for something to hit back with. So if you want to make a project outof this, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction, and there's lots of others here who can help with that too. And if you happen to be in the 18 to 20 age bracket, that gives you alot of standing in the issue.

K.S.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Ok, do I go to the legislatures webpage and throw in my zip code and email those guys first? Who then after that? Because my letter is up and ready to go.

kschmadeka

imported post

The first thing I'd start with is an email broadcast to the whole legislature. I can send you the whole list you can copy into your email program. After that, wait a couple days to see who responds, then work on them some more, and other known pro-gun legislators. If you work under the banner of a lobbying outfit, such as mine or one you make up yourself, you get around the problem of legislators telling you to get lost because you're not from their district. You might call it the "I Deserve To Live Too" Campaign.

Okay if I look at your letter so I can make suggestions?

Kevin frp-wa@mindspring.com

Bobarino

imported post

i have to disagree that it won't happen in your lifetime. i think it very well could. the bad part is, it would probably take several years and hundreds of thousands in attorney's fees. in my opinion, it it wouldn't be much different than, and would have to go the route of Heller. apply for a permit at age 18, get denied, file a lawsuit, appeal it all the way up to the SCOTUS if necessary. i know Alan Gura has his hands full right now but you may want to try to contact him via email just to see what he thinks about it and if he would have any interest in taking on such a case in the future.

in my opinion, i DO think that 18 year olds should be able to carry. they're old enough to drive, vote, join the military, enter into contracts, get married, and should enjoy the same rights, protected under the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment as any other adult.

that said, in retrospect, (and i'm speaking ONLY for myself here) i'm glad i was not afforded that ability when i was 18 because i was an idiot. of course, i didn't think so at the time, but looking back, i'm luck i didn't hurt or kill myself or someone else just my driving, let alone all the other stupid stuff i did. there are plenty of people that are 18-21 that handle themselves much better than i did though.

Bobby

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Thank Bobarino for your input. kschmadeka sent me a huge list of people to send emails to, and I will be revising and sending more letters.

I do look back every couple of months (say 6 months) and think of how stupid I was, and I think I will continue to do that for a long time. I am surprised nobody shot any of my old friends in self defense. :what: