• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I get some help with a letter?

Would you support lowering the age of carry (handguns) down to 18?

• Definitely, give the youngins a chance!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe.... I am not sure

• No, they are not mature enough to carry

• No comment, I am just a lurker!

• Total voters

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Ok. Forget it, can someone please tell me who I send letters to for changing the laws? Am I sending to state legislators or senators or what the heck am I doing?

oldkim

imported post

I hate to be a realist here but do you know how likely you are to get that passed into law? Let's just say you won't see in it in your lifetime.

I'm not saying not to try to do it. Just saying.

You are looking at best (if a law was considered to repeal and modify current law) at least 3-10 years. It has to be voted on committees after committee and then to the state legislature and so forth. I have to say by the time it was "passed" you would be older than I am. :?

If you want to do it right - get a lawyer and ask what legal hurdles you are facing. They can also direct you on how best to proceed and direct your energy. Mind you that will cost a bit (retainer and hourly fees). You can always hit up a law school and find a "future" lawyer to do the leg work.

My best to you!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

If it gets passed then it is worth it to have my future kids to be able to protect themselves. Even if by the time this is passed I can already carry. But I want to get this issue some attention. Is this not for a better future?

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Poosharker,

Don't waste your time sending letters to all the legislators -- you have to selectively target those who either might be supportive of your effort, or those who represent the district where you live. Hopefully one or more of your legislators will at least be receptive to your idea.

Those most likely to be receptive are going to be republicans, however there are democrats in this state who are very supportive of 2A. I do work on legislative issues as part of my job, and I'll be realistic -- unless you can find a supportive democrat, any proposal to lower the carry age has a snowball's chance right now. The political landscape may well change after elections next year, but now is the time to begin your work.

You can go about this by writing letters, or you can look at the statutes and consider how you would revise them to allow carry by 18-year-olds. I've been drafting legislation recently and working with legislators, so if you have some specific ideas I'd be happy to help with drafts.

Questions to ponder --

• Are you proposing CC for 18 year olds, or OC only?
  • What is your fall-back position, if any? Car carry for 18-21 year old?
  • Would you settle for CC/OC for 18-21 with additional training not required of 21+? (similar to hunting at 16 vs. hunting at 18)
  • Would you settle for a limitedintra-state CPL for 18-21 that has no validity in other states?
One of the challenges you face with this proposal is that if Washington issues CPLs to those under 21, our state would lose reciprocity with other states that require our standards to be equal or greater to theirs.

Don't be discouraged -- put your mind to work and come up with a workable proposal!

Charles

amzbrady

imported post

Poo, you are young enought to go to school, and become a lawyer. Become a really good defense lawyer, then go on into politics, become a senater, then an Attorney General or visa versa.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Near as I can figure, if you're old enough to carry a firearm to defend this country, then you're old enough to carry to defend yourself.

How can that be argued?

PavePusher

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Near as I can figure, if you're old enough to carry a firearm to defend this country, then you're old enough to carry to defend yourself.

How can that be argued?
Stop Making Sense! :banghead:

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Wow, thanks for the help guys, I kind have got discouraged a bit after the first post, but I will be making changes, and targeting several folks to send it to them.

I've always realized how good of a lawyer I could be, but people don't like lawyers very much. Then again, they tend not to like me either. ;)

amzbrady

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Wow, thanks for the help guys, I kind have got discouraged a bit after the first post, but I will be making changes, and targeting several folks to send it to them.

I've always realized how good of a lawyer I could be, but people don't like lawyers very much. Then again, they tend not to like me either. ;)

An armed lawyer, even if someone dont like you, they wont let you know.

BTW, I think your alright, but then I havent met you.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Sorry I put up such a small post earlier, I was at the library and was rushed.

Charles Paul Lincoln, thank you for your offer, I will be indeed asking more of those questions, and putting some more work into this, as I know this won't be a small and easy task. I don't understand the works of legislation and all of that, and I will be needing assistance in understanding it.

amzbrady, exactly, you haven't met me. I am sure if you had encountered me years ago, you would have probably put a couple holes through my skull :lol:

amzbrady

imported post

Nah, Poo you would be surprised. Race may be diff, but doubt past is much diff. I made bad choices when I was younger, (your age) Then I grew up and made better choices. Who knows maybe when you get your life together completely you will grow up to be an old fat whiteredneck also.

1245A Defender

imported post

just write to everbody! make youre best arquments! you are articulate and smart, youre reasonable and thoughtfull. you can own a gun! you can vote. you can defend your country. the age of your rights should be adjusted.

as an aside.. is like to play you a game of pool... or 2 outa 3:cool:

1245A Defender

imported post

9 ball is a game of luck.... l like to make predetermined shots... so 8 ball is my preference.:) saw some one call you pool sharker once before,, and if you haddenet answered we still wouldent know,,,, but i always thought that poo was pool..

1245A Defender

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Challenge accepted. Spot me at an OC meet and it'll go down.

im hoping to meet you on the 17th...in everet sp? i play for the thrill of the great shot... not just the win!... last game was a 4 rail 8 ball in the corner....

study the wash state owning and carrying laws.... you could own and carry some self defence guns now at your age....they can be got legaly and be usefull in many circumstances under the law...just gotta know when and where! ill do some lookin too

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

What is everett sp??

I thought the 17th meet was in Bothel? Or maybe I do not quite understand city names. I am hitching a ride with Ayrk45XD so it depends on him. He also shoots "poo" so more opponents!

As for owning and buying and carrying at age 18, I pretty much can own but not carry unless I am at a specific event like a shooting range or whatever. Unless I want to be really bold and have it unloaded in a opaque case on my person :idea:.

Unless you know something I don't...... :D

massivedesign

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Challenge accepted. Spot me at an OC meet and it'll go down.

Come down south, I'll rack a few with ya. 9-Ball is my preference... It's not a game of luck when you play with other people who know how to play. It's a game of strategy and safeties.

Another is bank 8 - Where the 8 ball must be banked or kicked into a called pocket.

Might have to bust out my Helmstetter and sneaky-pete finally...