• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 108: Disposition of firearms

TFred

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+HB108

Full text here.

Disposition of firearms. Provides that no locality may participate in any program in which individuals are given a thing of value in exchange for surrendering a firearm to the locality unless the governing body of the locality has enacted an ordinance authorizing the participation of the locality. The ordinance shall require that such firearms shall be sold by public auction or sealed bids to a person licensed as a dealer or be disposed of in any other appropriate manner.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:

Full text here.

Disposition of firearms. Provides that no locality may participate in any program in which individuals are given a thing of value in exchange for surrendering a firearm to the locality unless the governing body of the locality has enacted an ordinance authorizing the participation of the locality. The ordinance shall require that such firearms shall be sold by public auction or sealed bids to a person licensed as a dealer or be disposed of in any other appropriate manner.
Not sure that I like "or be disposed of in any appropriate manner."

Seems to leave it up to the locality at to what this manner is. Destroyed?
Sold as scrape metal, require that they be cut up or melted down?

The back door would be left open I fear. :(

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

Is this not what our Lobby Day efforts could (should) be directed towards? I am sure we can garner enough attention with our respective delegates to make amendments or revisions in committee prior to vote, right?

I think this guy is on the right track, he just needs some guidance from the people.;)

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
TFred wrote:

Full text here.

Not sure that I like "or be disposed of in any appropriate manner."

Seems to leave it up to the locality at to what this manner is. Destroyed?
Sold as scrape metal, require that they be cut up or melted down?

The back door would be left open I fear. :(

Yata hey
Last year the bill was introduced without that phrase. It was added at some point in the process, maybe by the Senate?

The reason Kaine said he vetoed it was because he didn't want to impose on the local governments.

I suspect Delegate Cole submitted it just as it passed both houses last year to increase the likelihood that it would get through again this year.

One thing we need to keep in mind... although several bills made it through to the Governor's desk last year, some of the more liberal lawmakers knew very well that these bills had a date with the VETO stamp, so they were "safe" to vote for them, without any chance that they would actually make it into law.

That is clearly not the case this year, so I would not be surprised to see some votes change on some of these bills that were vetoed last year.

With the language being identical to the bill that was passed last year, any change in a vote would clearly expose these shenanigans for the proper public outcry they deserve.

TFred