• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denied my CHP

eddyys

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Here you go, 18.2-308 E7, this is a list of people who are to be denied, one of the conditions is:

7. An individual who has been convicted of two or more misdemeanors within the five-year period immediately preceding the application, if one of the misdemeanors was a Class 1 misdemeanor, but the judge shall have the discretion to deny a permit for two or more misdemeanors that are not Class 1. Traffic infractions and misdemeanors set forth in Title 46.2 shall not be considered for purposes of this disqualification.

Since your infractions were more than five years ago they CANNOT deny you. But you're going to have to fight them.Give them a black eye for me :^). I'm not sure if you can go directly to the judge or not or just bring this up with the Sheriff, he might be able to get it corrected for you. Quote this section to him.
Unless those traffic stops were Reckless Driving/Reckless Endangerment then he might have a problem due to the fact those are both misdemeanors.

aquinob1

imported post

This is a BIG deal and should catch the eye of more senior members. Get your appeal ready!

I would also write a personal letter to the Sherrif, AG, and governor (the other two might be a waste of time though:banghead:)

Neplusultra

imported post

eddyys wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Here you go, 18.2-308 E7, this is a list of people who are to be denied, one of the conditions is:

7. An individual who has been convicted of two or more misdemeanors within the five-year period immediately preceding the application, if one of the misdemeanors was a Class 1 misdemeanor, but the judge shall have the discretion to deny a permit for two or more misdemeanors that are not Class 1. Traffic infractions and misdemeanors set forth in Title 46.2 shall not be considered for purposes of this disqualification.

Since your infractions were more than five years ago they CANNOT deny you. But you're going to have to fight them.Give them a black eye for me :^). I'm not sure if you can go directly to the judge or not or just bring this up with the Sheriff, he might be able to get it corrected for you. Quote this section to him.
Unless those traffic stops were Reckless Driving/Reckless Endangerment then he might have a problem due to the fact those are both misdemeanors.
Possibly, but he did say the infractions were about 10 years ago and the law states they can only consider misdemeanors going back 5 years prior to the date of the application. PS, actually I just reread his original post and he didn't state when the traffic tickets occured.....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
imported post

The last traffic ticket was 2005 may to be exact.i got a ticket for going 10 over the day before i left for Iraq.ive only had 3 speeding tickets in almost 20 yrs.the last legal charge i had was in 2002.that was for a bounced check.still havent learned to balance my checkbook.if it werent for my wife id be screwed.

riverrat10k

imported post

Good luck with this shooter, and thank you for your service.

Some of the previous posts seem to give you good ammo.

Perhaps you got a DHS flag also, you know, dangerous returning serviceman and all.

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
imported post

Ok just a little up date on whats going on. Still waiting on my sitdown with the sheriff, but do have my hearing on Jan 20th. I got a look at my file and saw a coment on it from the sheriff that "In my opinion the subject would handle a firearm in a manner unsafe to himself and the public." Not sure where he is getting his info from. I can be any worse than some of his own deputies.Few years ago two of them living together got drunk one put on his kevlar and had the other shoot him so he would know what it felt like.They both still work there and both got promoted.

TFred

imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
Ok just a little up date on whats going on. Still waiting on my sitdown with the sheriff, but do have my hearing on Jan 20th. I got a look at my file and saw a coment on it from the sheriff that "In my opinion the subject would handle a firearm in a manner unsafe to himself and the public." Not sure where he is getting his info from. I can be any worse than some of his own deputies.Few years ago two of them living together got drunk one put on his kevlar and had the other shoot him so he would know what it felt like.They both still work there and both got promoted.
Wow, that's amazing. This might start to attract some real attention.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
1000ydshooter wrote:

TFred
Just remember Fred, this may be embarrassing to the Shooter.
The way it sounds and from what I've found, the Sheriff doesn't have anything otrher than a general feeling. That won't fly if the Judge does his job. In a rural area, that can be an issue though.

That Sheriff has been there since 87 and I expect the Good Ol Boy network is alive and kicking.

I wish User would throw his 0.02 in.

eddyys

imported post

My question is why is the comment in there in the first place. What prompted it in the first place?

Questions is all I have for this one.

eddyys

imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
What comment are you refering to?
I want to know what prompted the sheriff when he put pen to paper to say, "likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently to endanger others"

Was their a misdemeanor listed somewhere on the paper work that the sheriff would see? If so, which one?

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
1000ydshooter wrote:

TFred
Just remember Fred, this may be embarrassing to the Shooter.
The way it sounds and from what I've found, the Sheriff doesn't have anything otrher than a general feeling. That won't fly if the Judge does his job. In a rural area, that can be an issue though.

That Sheriff has been there since 87 and I expect the Good Ol Boy network is alive and kicking.

I wish User would throw his 0.02 in.
Yeah, all I meant by that was that the more we hear, the more this stinks. User's comments would be welcome indeed. Unfortunately, it has already "flown" since the judge has already denied his permit.

What does it take for libel to kick in, and does the fact that the Sheriff is doing it as a part of his official duty make it better or worse?

At the very least, it seems that this Sheriff has no understanding of what it means to have a "Shall Issue" CHP law, you need to have a concrete reason, listed in the law, to deny a CHP.

What happened here is the exact reason that you change "may issue" to "shall issue" in the first place! It really sounds like the Sheriff is thinking old school.

TFred

Virginiaplanter

imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
Still waiting on my sitdown with the sheriff,.

Make sure you are open Carrying a real big handgun. Ask Peter Nap for a good size.

"Although I don't need no stinking permit, I would like to get one. By the way, how are your deputies doing after they shot each other. Wasn't that a crime under Virginia law?"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Make sure you are open Carrying a real big handgun. Ask Peter Nap for a good size.
I'm getting better. Just got one of these.:lol:

54445630.File0420.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:

"Although I don't need no stinking permit, I would like to get one. By the way, how are your deputies doing after they shot each other. Wasn't that a crime under Virginia law?"
Whoot! :lol:

Yata hey

Dreamer

imported post

So let me get this straight...

You said you got your last ticket just before you left for Iraq. I assume by that, you are (or at least were at the time) active-duty military, right?

Did the Sherif know this when he wrote that you were "likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently to endanger others"?

That type of thinking is difficult to comprehend. You need to wait until the new AG gets in office, and then file a formal appeal. Getting a few recommendation letters from your CO from Iraq might help too, to prove that you are versed in the safe and legal use of a firearm.

Good Luck with your appeal. Hopefully you can get this all straightened out...

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
Today i found out i denied my chp application here in isle of wight county.I have been a resident in the county for 39yrs,minor criminal record (A couple bounced checks about 10yrs ago,and 3 speeding tickets.) what i want to know is what can i do to protest this.i have requested a face to face with the sheriff as it was a letter of no recomendation to the judge that caused it.Any other ideas as how to proceede.

Y'all have done a pretty good job of analyzing the issues. I really don't have anything to add. I hope1000ydshooterfiled his petition for an ore tenus hearing on time; that should be in the standard form of any initial pleading using the case number from the original application. Whether or not the ore tenus was demanded, he can still file an appeal with the Ct. Apps., and when they confirm the ruling of the circuit ct., it can be appealed to the Sup. Ct.

By the way, it's a really good idea to have a lawyer for that. I've got some ideas about this specific case, that I would not want to make public just yet, so, 1000y.s., feel free to give me a call or send email. I've been successful ina couple such cases, where one guy had actually been convicted of a felony and the other who'd spent the weekend in a psych. clinic for court-ordered observation involuntarily; what that demonstrates is that you really have to understand the procedure - it's not enough to know the facts or have "truth, justice, and the American Way" on your side.

I just checked, and there's no appeal from an order denying the CHP on jan. 20 on the Isle of Wight Circuit Court's docket. Did you file a praecipe setting it on that date?

aquinob1

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
aquinob1 wrote:
This is a BIG deal and should catch the eye of more senior members. Get your appeal ready!

I would also write a personal letter to the Sherrif, AG, and governor (the other two might be a waste of time though:banghead:)
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...hgIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNFarkYdKBA2s8y2-hxt_qkLHpdRcwKen Cuccinelli - The incoming Attorney General is very pro and one of the good guys. We look for very good things from him.

Yata hey
that's good to hear!