• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and spare clips question

YoZUpZ

imported post

So, my CCW permit is being processed (I hear it takes up to 90 days now), so I carry openly right now, Utah unloaded of course.

I was wondering what the laws regarding carrying spare clips is. Can you carry any spare clips with you at all? If so, do they have to be carried openly as well or can they be carried in a pant or jacket pocket?

I've talked to a couple people I know that Open Carry/have a CCW permit, but get different answers and "guesses"... anyone know the exact laws on this? Thanks!

rocknsnow

imported post

A spare magazine is not a weapon. You can carry one without a problem. I used to carry on in my thigh rig or in a pocket sometimes when I would carry in Utah. I think the best and easiest way to carry a spare mag is in some sort of holder on the opposite side from the weapon.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I have found that some magazines fit nicely into Leatherman / Gerber pouches.

This can also be useful if you plan to conceal in the future, and wish to hide your spare mag as well.

kirkaroberts

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
So, my CCW permit is being processed (I hear it takes up to 90 days now), so I carry openly right now, Utah unloaded of course.

I was wondering what the laws regarding carrying spare clips is. Can you carry any spare clips with you at all? If so, do they have to be carried openly as well or can they be carried in a pant or jacket pocket?

I've talked to a couple people I know that Open Carry/have a CCW permit, but get different answers and "guesses"... anyone know the exact laws on this? Thanks!
My brother recently took a CFP course and received his permit under the 45 days. I am not sure why some people seem to be getting them back so late. It does help to pay with a credit card. If you look at the date that they charge your credit card, they seem to be showing up about 45 days from then.

As for the extra magazines, if someone shows me a law that prohibits me from carrying them, I guess I will stop carrying them. Until then :). My handgun doesn't fire very well without ammunition. If there is a law that prohibits me from carrying extra magazines, I guess I will just have to start carrying a whole bunch of extra guns.:p

riding4life162

imported post

It shouldn't take too long, It took 52 days from the day I turned my paperwork in at BCI to the day I received my permit.

swillden

imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
My brother recently took a CFP course and received his permit under the 45 days. I am not sure why some people seem to be getting them back so late. It does help to pay with a credit card. If you look at the date that they charge your credit card, they seem to be showing up about 45 days from then.
A few months ago, delays were very long, but it's getting better now.

BTW, it is NOT helpful to pay with a credit card. For fastest processing times, drop your application off in-person and pay with CASH. The BCI starts their clock from the time they collect your payment (which is not what the law says, but it's what they do), so if you pay with check or credit card they can sit on the payment for a while and they figure it doesn't count against their processing time.

YoZUpZ

imported post

yeah, thats what I was told by my instructor, so the next day I went in person with cash in hand :dude:

SAMI

imported post

Dang, i wish I had known that little tip. I dropped mine off in person just yesterday, but paid with a check..

kirkaroberts

imported post

swillden wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:
A few months ago, delays were very long, but it's getting better now.

BTW, it is NOT helpful to pay with a credit card. For fastest processing times, drop your application off in-person and pay with CASH. The BCI starts their clock from the time they collect your payment (which is not what the law says, but it's what they do), so if you pay with check or credit card they can sit on the payment for a while and they figure it doesn't count against their processing time.
My instructor told me to pay by credit card for fastest processing and it worked for me. I had mine in about 35 days. I am starting to wonder if there is any system to insure your application is processed in any kind of order based on the comments here.

swillden

imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
My instructor told me to pay by credit card for fastest processing and it worked for me. I had mine in about 35 days. I am starting to wonder if there is any system to insure your application is processed in any kind of order based on the comments here.
My comment is based on the system I built and maintained last year for tracking processing times. I collected information from nearly 150 applicants (here's the data) and then wrote some software to process the data and generate graphs showing the progress of BCI processing times.

kirkaroberts

imported post

swillden wrote:
kirkaroberts wrote:
My comment is based on the system I built and maintained last year for tracking processing times. I collected information from nearly 150 applicants (here's the data) and then wrote some software to process the data and generate graphs showing the progress of BCI processing times.
That is some excellent data. It is nice to see someone collecting it. My comment was based on my own personal experience and the experience of one other person. I will stand by your data. I did fairly well in statistics. Excellent work.

SAMI

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
i sent mine out over a week ago, lets have a race! last person to receive theirs has to set up the next OC meet :p
My account was charged on Friday of last week. The balls are rollin.

Vegassteve

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:

Until you know the correct terms for the tools you carry then you should not carry. Maybe the pistol you carry does take a clip, but I doubt it.

YoZUpZ

imported post

Magazine... happy? I knew that someone was going to give me crap for calling it a clip... maybe you should go release some of that analism, and not use a computer until you can "properly" name every part of it... Oh, and make sure that you start walking to work until you can name every single part of it "correctly" as well, good luck... (hope you don't use a computer at work) :lol:

Vegassteve

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
Magazine... happy? I knew that someone was going to give me crap for calling it a clip... maybe you should go release some of that analism, and not use a computer until you can "properly" name every part of it... Oh, and make sure that you start walking to work until you can name every single part of it "correctly" as well, good luck... (hope you don't use a computer at work) :lol:
If you 'knew" someone was going to give you crap why did you do it? I do not use my PC as a weapon but something I do use as a weapon I make sure I use the correct terms. It is what separates us from the gangbangers who give us a bad name.

YoZUpZ

imported post

As soon as I posted the thread I noticed that I used the word "clip" instead of magazine, I know that I could edit the body of the post, but the title would still say "clip", so I didn't see any point in editing it... I guess maybe I can thank my occupation and the interactions that I have for some of the slang I use

kirkaroberts

imported post

SAMI wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
i sent mine out over a week ago, lets have a race! last person to receive theirs has to set up the next OC meet :p
My account was charged on Friday of last week. The balls are rollin.
I already have mine so I can't race you but it would be nice to add your dates to swillden's data to see if there is a trend toward faster or slower approvals.