• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I-Phone App that alerts you to entering school zone?

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

The I-Phone has the capability. Does anyone know if there is an app already written that will alert you to approaching the 1000' marker of a school? This would be incredibly helpful to maintain the law and not breach any penal codes.

I have heard of one person modding their dash mounted GPS unit to route away from schools as an avoidance option.

eraseallhope

imported post

i have a verizon droid

And as soon as i saw this thread i searched my marketplace and found

SCHOOL ZONE ALARM

lets you know when you are entering and leaving a school zone.

AND ITS FREE

chewy352

imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
i have a verizon droid

SCHOOL ZONE ALARM

AND ITS FREE
is that 1000 feet or for speed limits?

RaycerX96

imported post

Dave, called me and told me about this. Unfreaking believable, especially after Saturday. Walter, I would be calling the Capt and complain.

onedavetoomany

imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
i have a verizon droid

SCHOOL ZONE ALARM

AND ITS FREE
It lets you adjust the school zone radius!

Gundude

imported post

onedavetoomany wrote:
eraseallhope wrote:
i have a verizon droid

SCHOOL ZONE ALARM

AND ITS FREE
It lets you adjust the school zone radius!
The cops are gonna hate this app if it works.

yelohamr

imported post

With an iPhone, using Google Maps, in the search bar, type in elementary schools and the name of the city. Do the same for middle schools and high schools. If you just type schools, it won't show them all.

It doesn't sound an alarm, but at least you can map your route.

wewd

imported post

Remember that the 1,000 feet start from the property line and radiate out from there, with the zone taking the general shape of the property. It is not like some of the already existing Google Maps tools which draw a 1,000 foot radius from the center of the property in a perfect circle. Google Maps and even Google Earth do not yet have the capability to generate an accurate map of every school's property lines.

What's even worse is that the icons for the schools in Google Maps merely mark where their street address is, and if you drew a 1,000 foot circle from this position, it would not even cover the entirety of the school property itself in many cases. None of these tools and apps can be relied upon to keep you out of a school zone. You would have to draw a radius of around half a mile to give yourself enough of a buffer to stay away from most zones and even then you could not completely rely upon it.

The upside to all of this is when it comes time to properly challenge the law in the courts, it can be shown just how vague the boundaries are and how nearly impossible it is for anyone to reasonably stay out of the zones while lawfully exercising their right to carry a firearm.

yelohamr

imported post

I stopped in Blythe today, on the way to AZ. I used the Google Earth version for iPhone and searched for "schools". It gave my location and where the schools are. I UOCed at Popeye's and 30 minutes later I loaded a mag into my pistol as I crossed the Colorado River.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
With an iPhone, using Google Maps, in the search bar, type in elementary schools and the name of the city. Do the same for middle schools and high schools. If you just type schools, it won't show them all.

It doesn't sound an alarm, but at least you can map your route.
This method is no different than carrying a map with schools marked on it. The prosecution could twist this on you and suggest that you had mal intent against K-12. They would put put a negative spin on it and siggest to a jury that you had a map with all of the local schools on it. How would that sound to a jury who already thinks you're guilty?

More of a hurt than a help. But, an alarm tone to warn you to "Stay Away" would clearly show good intent to abide fully by the law.

yelohamr

imported post

I don't have Google Maps active on my iPhone at all times, so no one is going to see what I looked at. When I leave home, going from point A to point B, I know how to get there. If there's a GFSZ, Ilock my gun in the gun safe, until I either get to where I'm going or until I'm way past the 1000'.

Plan your route, it's easy, it's not rocket surgery.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

I agree it's not difficult to plan your route, however there are schools in my town that I'm not even aware of but are well within 1000' of a main road. A lot of school are placed a block away from the main roads in a residential area. Unless you drive into the residential area you would not even see the school. So most defintely study your home town so as to be in the know. But when traveling to a not so familiar place an specially design app to measure the radian from the perimeter of the schools would be very handy. The data is public information and would not be hard to compile into a program. The program itself is simple. I could write it in QBASIC. Too bad the Iphone doesn't support QBASIC. haha.

yelohamr

imported post

If you can do it, that would be great. You would have to have the alert sound way before the 1000' mark, so you could lock up your gun. Maybe .25 or .5 mi. warning.

Then work on one for iPhone. :D