• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snohomish Council votes/13Jan10/ Firearms Possession in Parks

jbone

imported post

Barabara Chapman hadMr. Thomas,Analyst who worked on the Ordinance revision send me this today:

Here'sour chance to set the Code right in Snohomish. I hopemany can be there to voice, or write it in.

"Mr. Xxxxx,

Ms. Chapman and I recently conversed about a couple questions related to the proposed code revision related to firearms in parks. She suggested I e-mail you to confirm with you that the public hearing is scheduled for January 13, 2010 at 10:30. This will likely be the only opportunity for members of the public to submit testimony into the record regarding the proposed code revisions. You may submit your comments in person or e-mail them to councilmembers.

I would recommend you copy me in comments that you submit and that you submit any written comments via e-mail by January 12[suP]th[/suP]. Of course, written comments can be submitted to council at the hearing. Councilmembers may vote on the proposal immediately following the close of the hearing.

If you have questions regarding the proceedings, please feel free to call me.

Respectfully,

Geoffrey Thomas

Sr. Legislative Analyst

Snohomish County - Office of the County Council

3000 Rockefeller Avenue, M/S 609

Everett, Washington 98201-4046

Direct Line: 425.388.6507 or 1.800.562.4367, Ext. 6507

Council Reception: 425.388.3494"

January 13, 2010; 10:30 a.m. Public Hearing
Ordinance No. 09-143, relating to firearms and other weapons in parks; amending SCC 22.16.090

Council Public Meetings and Public Hearings are generally held in the Henry M. Jackson Board Room, 8th Floor, Robert J. Drewel Building (Admininstration Building East), 3000 Rockefeller, Everett. Please call the Council office at 425-388-3494 to confirm events or for additional agenda information.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/20339.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/34494.html

Hendo

imported post

jbone,

Is it your sense thatSnohomish countywill acknowledge state preemption andcorrect their illegal ordinance since they cite the AG opinion?
Thanks for your good work.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I need to write Barb (and John) a thank you letter.

Jbone, could you pm me Barb's email address. I had her card, but it didn't survive a trip thru the washing machine with my wallet.

jbone

imported post

Hendo wrote:
jbone,

Is it your sense thatSnohomish countywill acknowledge state preemption andcorrect their illegal ordinance since they cite the AG opinion?
Thanks for your good work.

I am sure hoping they do and pass it.

I hope lots of members will show up and speak.

jbone

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
I need to write Barb (and John) a thank you letter.

Jbone, could you pm me Barb's email address. I had her card, but it didn't survive a trip thru the washing machine with my wallet.
PM sent. Are you going?

jbone

imported post

The below was mentioned to me a while back when working the Snohomish County Firearm Possession Ban in parks.

"We have to tackle these cases one at a time. However, if Seattle falls in court, as we believe it will, I expect the rest will pretty much throw in the towel"

I don't believe in letting other fish get away just to wait for the big one! More fish pound per pound can win the tournament[/b]

I see this as an advantage, a reversal of the quote above, if we show up in numbers, or get our comments into SnohomishCouncil for the Jan 13 public hearing, just perhapsSeattle will get the message and "throw in the towel". Snohomish isa big county (big fish) with another little fish (Arlington) voting in February. These votes happen before any Seattle court dates. We shouldn’t miss this opportunity to send a clear message to Seattle and the rest of the State.

So! With that being said how many are going, or submitting comments to the council?[/b]

jbone

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:

Awsome Thanks, Perpare and comment if you want and speak.

I sure hope more go from Snohomish, numbers speak!

Red Ryder

imported post

jbone,

I'll try to get the time off so I can attend also. Thanks for sharing the info. I'm more of a concealed carry guy by preferencebut I support our rights either way.

jbone

imported post

Unable to get the morning off , had to send in my comment.

Richard6218

imported post

I was planning to show up and put in my $.02 about the state constitution and preemption but regrettably discovered I have a schedule conflict. Short of going there I will be calling the key Council members today just so they hear from someone.

Next we need to get Whatcom County to get off the dime. I've been getting shuffled by my contact on the Council here for a year now. Any Whatcom residents are cordially invited to join me for a push to get this done. PM me if you're interested.

heresolong

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
Next we need to get Whatcom County to get off the dime. I've been getting shuffled by my contact on the Council here for a year now. Any Whatcom residents are cordially invited to join me for a push to get this done. PM me if you're interested.
Whatcom County repealed their ban. It was all over oc.org some time ago.

Richard6218

imported post

In lieu of attending the meeting tomorrow AM I just submitted this email to the county coucil general email address:

Gentlemen:

I submit this email for the record in the matter of your proposed amendment to Chapter 22.16 SCC concerning regulation of firearms in county parks. As written, the background synopsis states well the intent of the revision. RCW 9.41.290 is quite clear about the issue of local ordinances concerning firearms. The State Attorney General has cited this section in his opinion AGO 2008-8 issued in October 2008. Your proposal to amend the County Code is entirely appropriate and in my view is the only action to take in order for the County to be in compliance with state law. I urge each of you to vote accordingly.

Richard G Hunter

Ferndale, Washington

Richard6218

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
Thanx for the update. Sam Crawford was supposed to notify me when they were going to vote on it --- he read me some of the language in his draft, and it sounded good to me and I blessed it at the time. Well, I'm glad that's off my plate, so now I can move on to the next issue :)

jbone

imported post

Snohomish:

Just called, and spoke to the council admim. Mr. Koster made the motion to approve and no second from anyone else on the council.

Put to rest; not approved.

Hendo

imported post

To be clear - so they are defying state law (preemption)?

Richard6218

imported post

Hendo wrote:
To be clear - so they are defying state law (preemption)?

Here is the whole text that I just sent to the Council. I encourage everyone to send their own comments to this address: contact.council@co.snohomish.wa.us

Gentlemen:

I was shocked to learn today of your inaction in the matter of the proposed compliance with Washington state law. Your failure to enact the amendment proposed by Councilman Koster is unconscionable. The concept of preemption stated in RCW 9.41. 290 is clear: you have NO RIGHT to violate state law in this manner. RCW 9.41.270, 9.41. 050, and Article I, Section 24 of the State Constitution all state the right of the individual citizen to bear arms in self-defense.

This is not a matter of what any politician thinks is politically expedient. Self-defense is a God-given right, as are the rights to speak freely, the right to worship or not as we may choose, the right to due process, the right to peaceably assemble, the right to redress grievances to the government, the right to own property and to dispose of it as we see fit. The government cannot bestow any of these upon us, nor can it take them away because they are part of our humanity. The Founding Fathers memorialized these concepts in the Declaration of Independence and in the Constitution of the United States. They are also well defined in Washington law and constitution.

You have no choice in this matter. Other counties and municipalities in our State have acted appropriately to bring their codes into compliance. You must do likewise.

Richard G Hunter

Ferndale (Whatcom County) Washington

Richard6218

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
I just read the code section and I see that they added a Section (C) to 9.32.085 but this seems to cover only concealed carry. Is there something else that allows OC? I guess I'm being a bit intellectully lazy at the moment but can you help me out with this? I think it's covered in another section but I can't put my finger on it.

jbone

imported post

I Just had a nice talk with Barbara Chapman, Councilmember's Legislative Aide.

Councilman Koster is not happy with the outcome, very concerned about how his fellow councilmember's justblew off state law. It can be brought to the floor again, will take pressure on the other four councilmember's.

It was suggested that everyone write thefour law breakers that refused to recognize Councilmember's motion a letter, and you what to say. Imay even Cc County Executive Aaron Reardon, and the state AG as well. This is unbelievable, the arrogance of these four.

She also said the turn out numbers were good on the speaker side and sent in comments.

Here are the four criminals;

Chair
Dave Gossett, District 4;Vice-Chair Dave Somers, District 5;Councilmember Mike Cooper, District 3; Councilmember Brian Sullivan, District 2

Just saw the new story on King 5, thefourcriminals give him the cold shoulder. The story also said even the County Prosecutor said the ban was illegal.