• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

THAT NEW BERETTA STORM!

Alexcabbie

imported post

Just saw an article about the Beretta Storm pistol series offered in 9MM, .40 S&W. and .45 ACP.

This gun has everything I want in a semi-auto: Exposed hammer for manual cocking or (if need be) decocking; "second strike" capability for a glitchy primer; SA first shot/DA subsequent (no carrying cocked and locked); decocking safety like the Walthers I love. AND MORE!

There are ergonomic grip inserts th custom-fit to the hand. Sights are designed to be replacable with custom configurations with no trouble. It uses a "rotating barrel" locked-breech recoil system. Safety lever is ambidextrous.

And it is available in .45 ACP!

The Italian proof house rated the weapon for the German police and put 10,000 rounds through out of the box with no malfunctions.

Move over Springfield XD/m. As soon as my finances stabilize and I have the rest of my weapons back, I'ma get one of these.

BUT before I do, anyone else have any opinions or maybe shot this weapon??

(edit for wrong pic)

Eeyore

imported post

I shot the 9mm version a while back, rented from the range on a USMC base. It is definitely a good-looking gun. IIRC, the trigger feel was very similar to the M9/92FS--no surprise there. The ergos were good and the rotating barrel made for very smooth action and light recoil. However, I did experience several failures to feed--the slide didn't cycle all the way back into battery. This and the relatively high price eliminated it from contention in my mind. My theory is that the rotating barrel lock-up design is more sensitive to lubrication (or lack thereof) than other designs.

Alexcabbie wrote:
....SA first shot/DA subsequent (no carrying cocked and locked); ....
Actually, just to nit-pick, it's DA first shot, SA subsequent. :p

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

My CPL had one (9mm) for training, it shot very well, I liked the rotating barrel, but it had a thumb safety. So I would never ever ever carry one for personal defense.

I learned early that any unnecessary safetys make the gun go click when it should go bang.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

And, te same magazines work in the CX-4 Storm carbine they offer (is same caliber)

So when you get the pistol, pick up the carbine in the same caliber so almost all your needs will be met and have crossover with mags & ammo.

I am torn between adding either an AR variant, or the CX-4 carbine to my collection.

buster81

imported post

It is a fine feeling gun in the hand, but I had trouble reaching the safety with my thumb. My fingers are kind of short, but that thing wasn't anywhere near my thumb. and it's a bit odd shaped for me (the thumb safety).

zhowe

imported post

I own the Px4 in both 9mm and 45acp. I guess that you might say I like the pistol :)

One thing to note, you can getthe 9mmin a variety of magazine types. One takes the same mags as the old 92, one is a new design for the Px4. Just make sure you get the one you want...

Also have Cx4 9mm.

sevenplusone

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
My CPL had one (9mm) for training, it shot very well, I liked the rotating barrel, but it had a thumb safety. So I would never ever ever carry one for personal defense.

I learned early that any unnecessary safetys make the gun go click when it should go bang.

Yet that looks like a Kimber in your picture which has a thumb safety, grip safety, and the Schwartz safety for good measure.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Its a "dream gun" I cant afford it. I wouldnt carry a 1200$ gun anyhow, I wouldnt want to mar the finish. I want this gun for range use, and because it looks bad @$$.

Dont mind the XD getting scratched up though, adds character.

230therapy

imported post

The slide mounted flip-up safety is a terrible flaw.

The designers at Beretta need to get a clue and remove it. They're European, so I don't expect much change in the design. Maybe it's deliberately designed to be difficult to use.

The problem is twofold: 1) it flips up for slow disengagement and 2) the safety is very easy to engage while doing an emergency reload, resulting in a "click" instead of the expected "bang!".

TehGruu

imported post

I personally have never liked Berettas. I had one for a while. It was the 9000s I believe. Now I know it was in .40 but it was still pretty damned snappy for the caliber. I, too, am not a big fan of their safeties. The only good thing about it was that I got it for the wife and got to keep it in the ensuing divorce.:celebrate I traded it like 2 weeks later for my first 1911:cool:. Unfortunately, it was a Kimber :uhoh:and left the stable after a bit. Oh well. That being said, the Storm does look purty.

-Gruu