Thread: Non-resident LTCF

Post imported post

I mailed my LTCF application packet off to Sheriff Nau in Centre County today. His office was very helpful on the phone with some of the quesitons I had about filling out the form, and they told me that they were proud to be one of the few Sheriff's departments in the state that actually followed the PA state laws with regards to issuance of Non-Res permits. Seems like a real stand-up guy, with a VERY well-qualfied staff.

I've already got my CHP here in NC, so it should be just a few weeks before I get my PA license. I was going to get a VA non-res permit, but they cost more than my NC CHP, so I decided PA was a better choice.

I'm getting a PA permit with the hopes that the MD legislature passes their HB-52, which gived reciprocity to holders of PA, VA, DE, and WV permits. As it is now, I can't carry in MD when I visit my daughters and granddaughter, but if HB-52 goes through, my PA non-res license would mean I could drive from NC to MD and not have to do the "stop at the border and stow it" dance. Plus, I could legally carry when out with my family, and if anyone has ever been to Baltimore, you know why I want this bill to go through...

Now the wait begins...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I really hope ,and I m sure you will - get the LTCF permit.

As a native Marylander, though, it kinda makes me angry that the citizens are again getting shafted.

If I still lived in MD (and thank god I dont), I would be pissed that other people from different states can carry in my state, but I couldn't.
    Now I would not take it out on fine folks like you or want to stop allowing you guys from carrying in my sate.

But I know I would feel very betrayed by my law makers.

I remember when I was 23 years old, there was a "situation" at my office and the possible outcome was very life threatening to me and my family.

I had the States Attorney of the Circuit court of Anne Arundel county AND an Annapolis FBI Special Agent who were my references to get a MD Concealed Handgun License, it was denied even with those two fine upstanding people vouching for my need for one. (perhaps I can share that story in a different thread)

It was that day, I started the process of moving out of that state.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Is there a pool? I say you have it by Jan 15...
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
    Is there a pool? I say you have it by Jan 15...
    If your are referring to his Pa. permit - that would be outstanding.

OTOH - if you are responding to Md. recognizing other state pemits, I would ask of what year?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot,

According to the wording of this proposed bill, if it passes this session:
    SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take effect October 1, 2010.
    So if it goes through, folks with permits from PA, VA, DE (and WV, when amended) could legally carry in MD in October of this year.

I may have to make a special trip on my birthday (9 Oct.) to celebrate if this bill passes...:celebrate
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

was referring to his PA LTCF...

Post imported post

According to the USPS, the Centre Co. Sheriff's office received my application on Jan 8.

Hopefully I'll have my permit by the end of this week!

I'll keep you folks updated...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

My PA Non-Resident LTCF arrived today. That's got to be some kind of record! Only 7 days turnaround...

Bravo to Sheriff Nau of Centre County for doing a FANTASTIC job!

--Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    My PA Non-Resident LTCF arrived today. That's got to be some kind of record! Only 7 days turnaround...

Wow, that is fast!
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:

2 days faster than I called....Good show.

Post imported post

I'm getting a PA permit with the hopes that the MD legislature passes their HB-52, which gived reciprocity to holders of PA, VA, DE, and WV permits.
    With the track record of issuance of permits even to those who jump through all the hoops, I would not hold my breath on that one.