• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-resident LTCF

Dreamer

imported post

I mailed my LTCF application packet off to Sheriff Nau in Centre County today. His office was very helpful on the phone with some of the quesitons I had about filling out the form, and they told me that they were proud to be one of the few Sheriff's departments in the state that actually followed the PA state laws with regards to issuance of Non-Res permits. Seems like a real stand-up guy, with a VERY well-qualfied staff.

I've already got my CHP here in NC, so it should be just a few weeks before I get my PA license. I was going to get a VA non-res permit, but they cost more than my NC CHP, so I decided PA was a better choice.

I'm getting a PA permit with the hopes that the MD legislature passes their HB-52, which gived reciprocity to holders of PA, VA, DE, and WV permits. As it is now, I can't carry in MD when I visit my daughters and granddaughter, but if HB-52 goes through, my PA non-res license would mean I could drive from NC to MD and not have to do the "stop at the border and stow it" dance. Plus, I could legally carry when out with my family, and if anyone has ever been to Baltimore, you know why I want this bill to go through...

Now the wait begins...

Sig229

imported post

I really hope ,and I m sure you will - get the LTCF permit.

As a native Marylander, though, it kinda makes me angry that the citizens are again getting shafted.

If I still lived in MD (and thank god I dont), I would be pissed that other people from different states can carry in my state, but I couldn't.
Now I would not take it out on fine folks like you or want to stop allowing you guys from carrying in my sate.

But I know I would feel very betrayed by my law makers.

I remember when I was 23 years old, there was a "situation" at my office and the possible outcome was very life threatening to me and my family.

I had the States Attorney of the Circuit court of Anne Arundel county AND an Annapolis FBI Special Agent who were my references to get a MD Concealed Handgun License, it was denied even with those two fine upstanding people vouching for my need for one. (perhaps I can share that story in a different thread)

It was that day, I started the process of moving out of that state.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
Is there a pool? I say you have it by Jan 15... :D
If your are referring to his Pa. permit - that would be outstanding.

OTOH - if you are responding to Md. recognizing other state pemits, I would ask of what year? :lol:

Yata hey

Dreamer

imported post

Grapeshot,

According to the wording of this proposed bill, if it passes this session:
SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take effect October 1, 2010.
So if it goes through, folks with permits from PA, VA, DE (and WV, when amended) could legally carry in MD in October of this year.

I may have to make a special trip on my birthday (9 Oct.) to celebrate if this bill passes...:celebrate

Dreamer

imported post

According to the USPS, the Centre Co. Sheriff's office received my application on Jan 8.

Hopefully I'll have my permit by the end of this week!

I'll keep you folks updated...

Dreamer

imported post

My PA Non-Resident LTCF arrived today. That's got to be some kind of record! Only 7 days turnaround...

Bravo to Sheriff Nau of Centre County for doing a FANTASTIC job!

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I'm getting a PA permit with the hopes that the MD legislature passes their HB-52, which gived reciprocity to holders of PA, VA, DE, and WV permits.

With the track record of issuance of permits even to those who jump through all the hoops, I would not hold my breath on that one.