• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court Says Wash. Felony Inmates Should Get To Vote

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.kirotv.com/politics/22142060/detail.html

The ninth circus is at it again.

Taken to it's ultimate end... does this mean that they cannot take away your second amendment rights also? I don't see a difference! A right is a right!

Court Says Wash. Felony Inmates Should Get To Vote
Posted: 1:15 pm PST January 5, 2010Updated: 2:15 pm PST January 5, 2010

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Incarcerated felons should be allowed to vote in Washington to ensure that racial minorities are protected under the Voting Rights Act, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The 2-1 ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the 2000 ruling of a district judge in Spokane. That judge had ruled that state law did not violate the act, and dismissed a lawsuit filed by a former prison inmate from Bellevue.

The two appellate judges ruled that disparities in the state's justice system "cannot be explained in race-neutral ways."

The issues the ruling raises about racial bias in the justice system are not unique to Washington state, said Marc Mauer, executive director of The Sentencing Project, a Washington, D.C., group promoting sentencing reform.

"They are issues that permeate the justice system and are relevant in every state," he said.

A spokeswoman said state Attorney General Rob McKenna is weighing the state's next step.

The lawsuit was filed by Muhammad Shabazz Farrakhan of Bellevue. He was serving a three-year sentence at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla for a series of felony-theft convictions when he sued the state in 1996.

Ultimately, five other inmates, all members of racial minority groups, joined as plaintiffs.

The lawsuit contended that because nonwhites make up a large percentage of the prison population , a state law prohibiting inmates and parolees from voting is illegal because it dilutes the electoral clout of minorities.

That was a violation of the U.S. Voting Rights Act of 1965, the lawsuit said.

The state contended that the lawsuit should be dismissed because the law was not intended to discriminate against minorities.

Last year, lawmakers passed a law that allows convicted felons to reregister to vote once they're no longer on parole or probation. Previously, felons who were no longer in Washington state custody but owed court-ordered fines and restitution were not allowed to vote.

Washington's neighbor, Oregon, automatically restores voting rights to felons once they're released from prison. Nearly 40 other states and the District of Columbia also have less onerous restrictions on restoring voting rights to felons.

Maine and Vermont are the only states that allow those behind bars to cast ballots

DEROS72

imported post

Honestly I don't thinkviolent criminal deserve 2A rights.They made a choice.Most of these people can't get jobs, I know in all my years I never hired any.So what do they do they go back to what ever it was that put them there in the first place .Great give these gangbangers legal guns when they get out I don't think so.Also make sure they can't collect welfare either .After violating others rights with no regard for anything but themselves they don't deserve it. The right to vote?What do people like that vote for more welfare,looser prison terms and so on.They aren't able to vote responsibly.Like giving immigrants and welfare people the vote is wrong.All they ever vote for is more programs to take from decent people or to give rights to illegals.Who shouldn't have rights in the first place in this country.All these people just take and take .THere should be a way to keep them in prison for ever.They made a choice its not up to us to take care of them anymore....Look at people like thae guy that shot tose 4 officers.You would give that human garbage a right to vote and a legal gun.Rights are for the lawabiding not the convicted,especially violent criminals.Someone attacks one of my daughters or rapes a childI don't care about his rights anymore.

amzbrady

imported post

What about the right not to be robbed, raped, shot, stabbed, disabled, or even killed?

All Prisoners have the right not to commit a crime before prison. Just like you dont go to jail for good behavior, not you get out early for it.

dang

Banned
imported post

deros Guess you agree with the Brady bunch that no one should own firearms? After all, why not cherry pick the bill of rights like the Brady bunch do.

swatspyder

imported post

dang wrote:
deros Guess you agree with the Brady bunch that no one should own firearms? After all, why not cherry pick the bill of rights like the Brady bunch do.
The question is, how long does it take people to realize that no one can keep firearms out of the hands of a criminal in society? The only way possible is to keep them locked up in prison. Otherwise, they are free to buy one on the street.

This is why everyone should be armed and ready to protect themselves and their family/friends.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

So the courts are saying...

'black people commit a lot of crimes, but because they're black they need to vote so we don't look racist'..

F%*%^ers

erps

imported post

Taken to it's ultimate end... does this mean that they cannot take away your second amendment rights also? I don't see a difference! A right is a right!
That seems logical to me. A revocation of firearms possession rights seems to be an infringement to me. It appears that the SCOTUS believes some infringements are reasonable. It appears that there are folks here that believe no infringement is reasonable. To be consistent, it would seem that those folks would have to argue for a felon's RTBA's.

DEROS72

imported post

I dibn't see where the bill of rights applies to mass murderers,child rapist,multiple convictons of violent crimesetc.The guy that killed tose 4 officers was a five time fellon with I think 8 charges pending.He should have had no rights ,except to remain in prison for life..Especially no rightto freedom.Once you cross the line your rights are done.That attitude is like the social justice progressive that run this country.Maybe more programs for criminals,more of your tax dollar spent on them.B.S.They deserve nothing.

How is our fault if someone chooses not to finish school,chooses to join a gang ,chooses to hold up a convenience store and kill someone because he can't get a job.There is NO EXCUSE for that behavior.I don't care what kind of neighborhood you grow up in,or if you were beaten up by gangs ,you had no money...Not our fault.They make these choices .We have to stop feeling sorry for them.Keep them in jail forever and no they shouldn't be voting.In a sysytem they chose to attack and try to destroy with no respect for anyones rights.

Also we should be going through all the prisons and taking all tv's radios ,gym equipment ,everything and giving it to veteran and military families .The Americans that do have rights and actually defend them.They in prison are allowed a cot and three meals and thats it.If that.

swatspyder

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I dibn't see where the bill of rights applies to mass murderers,child rapist,multiple convictons of violent crimesetc.The guy that killed tose 4 officers was a five time fellon with I think 8 charges pending.He should have had no rights ,except to remain in prison for life..Especially no rightto freedom.Once you cross the line your rights are done.That attitude is like the social justice progressive that run this country.Maybe more programs for criminals,more of your tax dollar spent on them.B.S.They deserve nothing.

How is our fault if someone chooses not to finish school,chooses to join a gang ,chooses to hold up a convenience store and kill someone because he can't get a job.There is NO EXCUSE for that behavior.I don't care what kind of neighborhood you grow up in,or if you were beaten up by gangs ,you had no money...Not our fault.They make these choices .We have to stop feeling sorry for them.Keep them in jail forever and no they shouldn't be voting.In a sysytem they chose to attack and try to destroy with no respect for anyones rights.

Also we should be going through all the prisons and taking all tv's radios ,gym equipment ,everything and giving it to veteran and military families .The Americans that do have rights and actually defend them.They in prison are allowed a cot and three meals and thats it.If that.
Like I said. You can't keep firearms out of the hands of a criminal if their rights (on paper) have been taken away. They will buy a gun on the street.

The only thing you can do is keep them in prison. Or have more of these convicted murderers with DNA and or video evidence of them committing the crime, killed by lethal injection. Get them out of society. And save money that is wasted in prisons and jails by making simple possession of drugs legal. The war on drugs is the biggest waste of tax payer money that goes to jails and prisons.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swatspyder wrote:
Like I said. You can't keep firearms out of the hands of a criminal if their rights (on paper) have been taken away. They will buy a gun on the street.

The only thing you can do is keep them in prison. Or have more of these convicted murderers with DNA and or video evidence of them committing the crime, killed by lethal injection. Get them out of society. And save money that is wasted in prisons and jails by making simple possession of drugs legal. The war on drugs is the biggest waste of tax payer money that goes to jails and prisons.

Agreed. I think I just read that the average time spent in prison for murderis around 10 1/2 years! Violent offenders need to serve 100% of their sentence for good behavior and if they don't have good behavior then they stay!

And yes locking people up for drug possesion is ahuge waste of money and time!

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Edited to remove excessive sarcasm.

If restricting gun rights worked then the individual that shot those four officers could not possibly have done so.

You're either free or your not.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
***removed because apparently it was "sarcasm" ***

JIM675, you know this is online, and I can't see facial expressions right? Throw a wink face in there or something so we know you are being sarcastic, yaddamean? :D

DEROS72

imported post

Under no circumstances should we make possesion of meth ,herion ,etc.legal, it dertroys people.Dealers should also get life with out parole.

That being said ,some kid that may have stolen a car when he was young served time and over the years lived a decent life and stayed out of trouble i think should have the chance for restoration of rights.Never for a violent criminal that has harmed someone in the commision of a crime or was jacked up on meth or something.

As I have said many times the Bill of rights and Constitution does not mean we should have a free for all and everything should be legal.Thats nuts.

erps

imported post

As I have said many times the Bill of rights and Constitution does not mean we should have a free for all and everything should be legal.Thats nuts.

is the debate over an infringement or an unreasonable infringement?

dang

Banned
imported post

deros No you are nuts. Where is it written that someone with a speeding ticket should have free access to a gun. For that matter where do you see ,you having a right to own a gun, after all there where no nuts that thought felons were good enough to have gun rights untill 1968.

Why not go all the way big shot,after all there is no crime in Cuba.

Tawnos

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Under no circumstances should we make possesion of meth ,herion ,etc.legal, it dertroys people.Dealers should also get life with out parole.

That being said ,some kid that may have stolen a car when he was young served time and over the years lived a decent life and stayed out of trouble i think should have the chance for restoration of rights.Never for a violent criminal that has harmed someone in the commision of a crime or was jacked up on meth or something.

Two separate questions:
Do you support the Second Amendment Foundation and, with it, Alan Gottlieb?

Do you think any felons should be allowed to own guns? Not all, but is there some class of felon where it's "okay" and another where it's not?

DEROS72

imported post

Honestly I do think there is potentially a felonclassthat should have a chance at restoration of rights .Someone busted on possesion perhaps and ,gets out and lives a clean life for example as long as no on got hurt. I do believe some are worthy of a second chance.I have a hard time with violent offenders.Yeah they could easily get a gun on the street but why make it easier by allowing them to just go in and buy one.I'm sorry I am not getting the logic.

Convince me guys ,I don't understand why a felon that commits a violent crime maybe shoots someone in the commission of that crime should have the right to buy firearms ...ever. Or some poor gal beaten and raped at gunpoint .I for ex have the right to bear arms as I have never comitted a crime.As you all do as well.At the very least it should be on a case by case basis.Someone is a repeat offender I just don't see it.

dang

Banned
imported post

deros Admit it you have a problemwith the supreme law of the land.Try reading the fifth amendment "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation".and square that with your bigotted opinions.

No you only want to cherry pick the bill of rights. NICE JOB PATRIOT,NOT!