• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can't exactly OC this but...... new toy!

Bobarino

imported post

I treated myself to a new rifle as a Christmas present to myself this year. This is a budget build so the hardcore benchresters/snipers/varminters will likely be unimpressed. The goal was to have a rifle capable of 1,000 yards for under $1,500. After lots of googling and reading reviews and what not this is what i came up with

Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 26" varmint contour barrel (same barreled action as the 700P)

Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock with aluminum bedding block

Millett LRS-1 6-25x56mm with illuminated mil-dot/bar reticle, side focus, target turrets and .1 mil click adjustments, and knobs resettable to zero

Burris XTR two peice picatinny bases

TPS steel 35mm rings

Harris bipod 9-13 inch with notched legs.

so here's the pics:

dscf1047i.jpg

dscf1048y.jpg

i had to break out the rat tail file and relieve the bottom part of the grip so my fat mits could fit in there:
dscf1053.jpg

my little helper in the background

dscf1054q.jpg

this should be a great starter package for my intro to long range shooting and the rem 700 action is a great base for a custom rifle later on. this is all common stuff that i got at the local gun shop and from Midway, combatstocks.com etc. nothing custom or special order. i don't think Blade-Tech makes a drop leg holser for this model. :p

range day is the 17th. can't wait 'til then!

Bobby

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

What do you mean you can't OC this?
This is what WA ceasefire says you only need (for the time being)! A hunting rifle!! You don't need an AR15!

Because the way they talk, 2A is about hunting privileges!

Trigger Dr

imported post

I also have a 1000 yard rifle. Took 2nd place in the Oregon State Championships with it in 2004. 1885 Winchester 40-65 black powder cartridge. 425 gr bullet. If you think Black Powder will not do 1000, have I got a surprise for you.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I also have a 1000 yard rifle. Took 2nd place in the Oregon State Championships with it in 2004. 1885 Winchester 40-65 black powder cartridge. 425 gr bullet. If you think Black Powder will not do 1000, have I got a surprise for you.
Hey Quiggley!:celebrate

killchain

imported post

That's a nice Rem 700. I might pick one of those up for my bolt-action.

And that 45/70 is a GREAT rifle. A buddy of mine has one of those. Real fun.

Bobarino

imported post

thanks :) i found a killer deal on an SKB case, bought some foam and made a nifty little kit for it and my AR.

dscf1061d.jpg

this is the AR in the case

dscf1064d.jpg

had some foam left over so i did a briefcase with a false bottom for the Sub2000 and the H&K

dscf1066r.jpg