• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discussion With a Co-Worker About OC!!

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I work at a Medium Security Correctional Facility and was talking about guns with a fellow C.O. when I told him that away from work I tend to carry a gun with me everywhere I go. The first question out of his mouth was to ask why I did it. I told him I do it because I want to first of all. Second of all, and more importantly, I want to be able to keep myself and my loved ones safe from harm.
He did nothing but insult my choice to carry and insult me for feeling it necessary to do so. He told me he's carried in some big cities and never felt the need to do so. He was apparently in the Army and claimed he walked down 'Main Street' in downtown Mosul, Iraq without a firearm and felt completely safe.
His next question, in and amongst all these insults, was to ask how many times I've needed my firearm with me when I've carried. I told him about four or five times in my life. He then stated, (in his exact words): "If you were smart, like me, you could have gotten yourself out of all those situations without your pistol being needed!" The first thought in my head was to backhand him at that comment. I refrained though, not a good thing to do in front of inmates.
I told him it was my choice to carry and the way I was brought up. I was raised around guns, hunting, shooting, the Second Amendment, patriotism, family, and most of all, God! Not drinking, cheating and partaking in as many alcoholic libations as I can afford each day, like he was.
He mentioned how I need a permit to be able to carry anywhere in the state. Not only (in his opinion) is it Local law, it's State and Federal law... or at least that's what he says. He fancies himself a fountain of knowledge when in fact he's not. I told him there was no Federal Law stating I needed a permit, nor was there a State law to that effect either. He tried to argue that there was. I told him in the state of Montana, the only place one needs a permit is within the limits of an incorporated city, town, mining/logging camp or other such area. Outside the geographical limits of such an area a permit is not needed, nor is a permit needed for OC within the state. He was disgusted at my explanation of this and promptly tried to back-pedal and attempted to tell me why it was illegal to carry. Suffice it to say, I won't be attending any of his backyard barbecue's. If I were to do so, I'd be carrying and I wouldn't be welcome if I carried.

I guess the final thought is: I'll continue to carry, I'll continue to keep my pistol under my pillow, I'll continue to live the way I've been doing for as long as I can.

TFred

imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
I work at a Medium Security Correctional Facility and was talking about guns with a fellow C.O. when I told him that away from work I tend to carry a gun with me everywhere I go. The first question out of his mouth was to ask why I did it. I told him I do it because I want to first of all. Second of all, and more importantly, I want to be able to keep myself and my loved ones safe from harm.
He did nothing but insult my choice to carry and insult me for feeling it necessary to do so. He told me he's carried in some big cities and never felt the need to do so. He was apparently in the Army and claimed he walked down 'Main Street' in downtown Mosul, Iraq without a firearm and felt completely safe.
His next question, in and amongst all these insults, was to ask how many times I've needed my firearm with me when I've carried. I told him about four or five times in my life. He then stated, (in his exact words): "If you were smart, like me, you could have gotten yourself out of all those situations without your pistol being needed!" The first thought in my head was to backhand him at that comment. I refrained though, not a good thing to do in front of inmates.
I told him it was my choice to carry and the way I was brought up. I was raised around guns, hunting, shooting, the Second Amendment, patriotism, family, and most of all, God! Not drinking, cheating and partaking in as many alcoholic libations as I can afford each day, like he was.
He mentioned how I need a permit to be able to carry anywhere in the state. Not only (in his opinion) is it Local law, it's State and Federal law... or at least that's what he says. He fancies himself a fountain of knowledge when in fact he's not. I told him there was no Federal Law stating I needed a permit, nor was there a State law to that effect either. He tried to argue that there was. I told him in the state of Montana, the only place one needs a permit is within the limits of an incorporated city, town, mining/logging camp or other such area. Outside the geographical limits of such an area a permit is not needed, nor is a permit needed for OC within the state. He was disgusted at my explanation of this and promptly tried to back-pedal and attempted to tell me why it was illegal to carry. Suffice it to say, I won't be attending any of his backyard barbecue's. If I were to do so, I'd be carrying and I wouldn't be welcome if I carried.

I guess the final thought is: I'll continue to carry, I'll continue to keep my pistol under my pillow, I'll continue to live the way I've been doing for as long as I can.
Seatbelts? Homeowners insurance? Polio vaccinations for the children? What a waste of time, you're not likely to ever need those...

TFred

fully_armed_biker

imported post

If your co-worker lives int the same county as you, he sounds like he's Toole County's #1 Tool!

My reply to his question about how many times you've needed your gun would have simply been..."I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!" that's my standard reply when people ask me "What do you need a gun for?"

As far as "why" you do it...I'd have just pointed out to him that the two of you work in a PRISON! All the other reasons aside...your constitutional right, to protect your family, yada yada....I'd have said, "Because I don't want one of these morons that are behind bars to recognize me on the street, after they get out, and decide they're going to exact some revenge on me for the way they were 'unfairly' treated in the prison, by the system, etc, etc..."

fully_armed_biker

imported post

...Oh, almost forgot....I'd have asked him to show you the specific code he believes doesn't allow you to carry...his jail house lawyering days (pardon the pun) would end right there!

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glad you didn't back down in that conversation. The best you can do is give him some documentation. If he does not care or refuses to believe it, then leave him alone. That person is apparently set on not liking guns in the hands of other people or at least he believes you don't need one. I think that is poppycock. Sure, thereisn't aBeirut, Mosul, Baghdad, or Kabul, really in America so citizens are not constantly under attack by some force or individuals, however, there is always a chance of it and one should have the right to defend themselves with deadly force should that threat arise.

Feeling completely safe should never be misconstrued as being mental which your coworker seems to be.

This is all I have to say to your coworker:

The belief that anyone is completely safe is sheer foolishness and I welcome ANY challenge to the contrary. If a criminal can committ a crime somewhere against another person, chances are it has, it currently is, or it will happen. The potential is there, don't be a fool, and don't trample on other people's rights to defend themselves.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."
-Bertrand Russell

here's a good one:

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."
-George Bernard Shaw

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have my doubts that there are any soldiers that walkedthe streets of downtownMosul, Iraq fully armed that felt completely safe. This guys a total lier or idiot, take your pick. Could be both.

canadian

imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
claimed he walked down 'Main Street' in downtown Mosul, Iraq without a firearm and felt completely safe.
Then unless he was wearing a hijab (thus hiding the fact that he was a soldier), he's a liar.

His next question, in and amongst all these insults, was to ask how many times I've needed my firearm with me when I've carried.
The correct answer to that question is "I don't know. I have no way of knowing how many crimes I've prevented, because they were...prevented."

PavePusher

imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
He did nothing but insult my choice to carry and insult me for feeling it necessary to do so. He told me he's carried in some big cities and never felt the need to do so. He was apparently in the Army and claimed he walked down 'Main Street' in downtown Mosul, Iraq without a firearm and felt completely safe. 1

I guess the final thought is: I'll continue to carry, I'll continue to keep my pistol under my pillow 2, I'll continue to live the way I've been doing for as long as I can.

1. I'd say he's lying.

2. Please don't keep a gun under your pillow, very much not safe!!

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
40s-and-wfan wrote:
He did nothing but insult my choice to carry and insult me for feeling it necessary to do so. He told me he's carried in some big cities and never felt the need to do so. He was apparently in the Army and claimed he walked down 'Main Street' in downtown Mosul, Iraq without a firearm and felt completely safe. 1

I guess the final thought is: I'll continue to carry, I'll continue to keep my pistol under my pillow 2, I'll continue to live the way I've been doing for as long as I can.

1. I'd say he's lying.

Especially a gun with a bayonet attached.

Only a moron walks around in Iraq without a weapon, that guy clearly either wasn't there, or should be sterilized.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The OP should ask this idiot if he carries any money when he is in the office. If he does ask him why. After all he does not need it while he is working.
Oh ... Yea I forgot .. he MIGHT need it at some during the day.

D_Weezy

imported post

I work at a prison also and your co-worker sounds like a complete idiot. If that fool was walking down the street in Iraq unarmed, that is because that dumbarse forgot his weapon somewhere. You guys work at a prison. Unless your co-worker is that tight with all the inmates, I would say that one day he will find himself in an uncomfortable situation with one outside of the prison. Some of these guys will hold a grudge for the smallest thing. I had an inmate remind me of a time that I wouldn't let him microwave his food, when it was still count time. I then reminded him that I still would not let him do this, if we were in the same situation. You always seem to see these guys when you are the most vulnerable, going to and coming from work. It really sucks that we as c/o's can not have a weapon in our vehicles on property.

XD40coyote

imported post

This guy sounds like the retired corrections officerI run into now and then. My guy lives in MD, but goes into PA to a range or to shop. I asked him if he had a MD carry lisc being as he was a corrections officer for so many years. He told me "they" keep trying to give him one, but he doesn't need it. He is convinced calling 911 is all that is needed. I'm not sure if he is slowly going senile or has some sort of general brain damage, as he also has gotten a shotgun out in a parking lot and asked me to check the scope out ( which I declined), and started into defensivehandgun training stuff out loud in the Goodwill store. If he had had blue training guns, he probably would have started roleplaying. Oh yeahI went to the range with him once and he inadvertantly pointed an unloaded pistol at me and when I made a fuss about it, he was like " whats the problem, we both know it's not loaded". I guess it's better he doesn't carry! But his attitude that others "don't need to, just call 911", is just rediculous.

zoom6zoom

imported post

It's hard for me to conceive of someone who has to work around the scum of the earth every day who wouldn't want to carry. After all, they should be more aware than the average person what those folks are capable of, and the fact that before they were locked up they were out in the real world... and many of them will be returning.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
He was apparently in the Army and claimed he walked down 'Main Street' in downtown Mosul, Iraq without a firearm and felt completely safe
BS, or self-deluded. Anytime I was boots on the ground in Iraq (in Mosul, Bagdad, Kirkuk, wherever), we were carrying as part of the ROE.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

PavePusher wrote:

Don't worry, my pistol doesn't sleepwalk and neither do I!!

Superlite27

imported post

40s-and-wfan wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

Don't worry, my pistol doesn't sleepwalk and neither do I!!

It's not you. It'll just make the tooth fairy $#!T her panties.

Or, you'll wake up and there will be a quarter under your pillow.

"Stupid tooth fairy ripped me off!"