• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman shot 9 times..

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Yikes. I wonder if she ever was really going to use it? Or just wanted to scare him? Either way it serves as a deterrent for hothead alcoholics that may want to own a gun or already do.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/21929709/detail.html

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. -- No charges will be filed in the death of a 42-year-old Mesa County woman who was shot nine times in the driveway of a neighbor who said he fired his gun in self-defense.

Crystal Nash, 42, was shot and killed around 2:20 a.m. on Nov. 1 in the driveway at 3007 Rood Ave.

"In declining to file criminal charges here, I do not intend to condone or endorse anything that happened," District Attorney Pete Hautzinger wrote in a letter sent Thursday to Mesa County Sheriff Stan Hilkey. "I certainly believe that neighborhood disputes are usually better resolved without firearms being involved."

Hautzinger said his investigation showed Nash was armed with a 9-mm handgun and had a blood-alcohol level of 0.184 percent when she confronted her neighbor, Tom Jarvis, at his home early Nov. 1. Witnesses said she was upset that he may have called police earlier about a party at her home.

When Jarvis answered the pounding on his door, he said he grabbed his .22-caliber pistol and hid it behind his back.

"He asked her if she had a gun, and she told him that she did and that she was going to use it," Hautzinger’s letter said.

Jarvis told her to put her gun down, according to Hautzinger.

"Ms. Nash responded with another obscenity and brought her gun up across her body toward" the neighbor, Hautzinger wrote. The man then shot Nash, emptying all nine rounds in the clip of his handgun.

Jarvis told investigators he thought he was going to die when Nash raised her gun toward him.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I'd say that's clearly a case of self defense... mag dump 'n all.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I remember reading this in the news after it happened. I was wondering how it would turn out.

She's drunk, she had a gun, she made threats, she escalated the situation, she was shot, self defense, so be it.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Seems like a good example of how a lowly .22 CAN stop a threat.

Good example of how being armed while intoxicated can be reallybad mojo, too. ;)
Yes I carry a 22 in my car with a perfectly accurate laser grip. I just always wonder though if my first few shots will even phase a criminal in the torso as much as say a .45 would.. I mean I want him to stop shooting at me.. would a 22 in a torso do that as quick? Or do I find the headshot in all the madness?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

.22LR is a really nasty round to shoot.

Sure, physics tells us that it won't STOP anyone as would a larger bullet as the effect of an impact is very low (as compared to a .45 cal or .357 magnum).

What .22LR does do is tear up flesh like mole on speed and cocaine. It's nasty.

Even a determined predator will not be able to ignore the pain. The people that may not be so easily phased would be those that are drugged up (muscle relaxers, uppers, narcotics, etc, etc). However, several well placed or even lucky shots may disable someone from continuing to shoot. That is why it is probably good to keep firing until your threat is neutralized/incapacitated and have additional ammunition.

I'm interested in .22 Magnum my self. Kel-tec is about to release a 30 round capacity handgun, the PMR-30, that shoots this ammunition. All I have to say is, damn.

With all that said, as a main weapon, if I have choice, .22LR and 22 mag would not be my first line of defense, but I wouldn't mind having one as a backup.

CommonMan101

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
Yikes. I wonder if she ever was really going to use it? Or just wanted to scare him? Either way it serves as a deterrent for hothead alcoholics that may want to own a gun or already do.

Isn't whipping it out using it?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
I'd say that's clearly a case of self defense... mag dump 'n all.

+1

I would bet a shiny nickle it was 9-shot revolver, though. Guess my H&R 9-shotlead meto that thought

'Could'a been... but seems like that'd take longer to do... maybe not. I could cycle a MOD 10 (3 rounds)faster than my 1911 would shoot. But all 9?

Talk about bout gettin' 'lit up'! :what:Oh... here it is: "emptying all nine rounds in the clip"

That settles that.

45acpForMe

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Talk about bout gettin' 'lit up'! :what:Oh... here it is: "emptying all nine rounds in the clip"
I have a Walther P22 for use in training my daughters. I complain that it only has 10 in the magazine because with little to no recoil you can empty all 10 in a few seconds. It is fun to shoot but the fun only lasts while ammo does. :)

So if I found myself in a self defense situation and I had that gun, it would be very easy to empty the magazine. My worry as I watched the "little" bullets would be whether the attacker would stop before I ran out of bullets. I can only imagine the feeling of emptying the magazine only to see the attacker still alive and coming at you. Kind of like shooting grizzlies with normal pistol rounds.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
I have a Walther P22 for use in training my daughters. I complain that it only has 10 in the magazine because with little to no recoil you can empty all 10 in a few seconds. It is fun to shoot but the fun only lasts while ammo does. :)

So if I found myself in a self defense situation and I had that gun, it would be very easy to empty the magazine. My worry as I watched the "little" bullets would be whether the attacker would stop before I ran out of bullets. I can only imagine the feeling of emptying the magazine only to see the attacker still alive and coming at you. Kind of like shooting grizzlies with normal pistol rounds.

The P22is the gun I carry in my vehicle at all times. I as well worry about your scenerio. Which is why I got this laser.

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28

One of the best lasers I have seen. Once you adjust it, it seems to stay perfectly sighted unless you shoot at longer or shorter distances. Its green so it is much brighter. I can see it in the day time. At night in my pitch black house I can use it as a night light and it will bright up any area I point it at. I can be at ease knowing I can easily hit what I am pointing the laser at, even from my hip. Expensive but worth it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I have a Walther CP99BB pistol w/laser that I used for practice. It even recoils. Ennyhoo... at self defense range... it's nice for 'point and click' which is about what you'll have time for. The laser assists in target acquisition in low light and at short range the impact point approximates a 'bullet' strike. The pistol is semi-auto. Recoil only affects target recovery 'cause the round is gone to where it was aimed/pointed by the time youfeel it. 'Only problem lately has been gettin' CO2 ctgs. I use a Folgers plastic coffee can with the lid in place. The BB's go thru the lid 'target' and are trapped by the can. I re-use 'em. Sometimes I'll tape a face du jour from a magazine or newspaper on the can... one of the usual suspects.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Seems like a good example of how a lowly .22 CAN stop a threat.

Good example of how being armed while intoxicated can be reallybad mojo, too. ;)
Yes I carry a 22 in my car with a perfectly accurate laser grip. I just always wonder though if my first few shots will even phase a criminal in the torso as much as say a .45 would.. I mean I want him to stop shooting at me.. would a 22 in a torso do that as quick? Or do I find the headshot in all the madness?
While it can be effective, even a 22LR comes way shy of the stopping power of a 9mm, and a friend who's a sheriff's deputy once watched a perp take six 9mm rounds to the chest before disarming and killing the officer.

I've a 9mm, but it holds 17 rounds, and I use a round that's a good mix between CWP and penetration.

gsx1138

imported post

Almost every police shooting video I've seen they dump their magazine at the perp. While it might seen like overkill to some the adrenaline takes over and you shouldn't stop until the threat is down anyway.