Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming home to wisconsin (returning from iraq)

Post imported post

I have a lot of questions and maybe some of you guys can point me in the right direction. I would like to open carry but what is the current rules that i should be made aware of ? What holster and can you have a round in the chamber ready to rock and roll ? What is the limits the OC ?

Post imported post

Thanks for the service and welcome home! (when you get here anyhow)

There are lots of threads here you can read about OCing in Wisconsin. Just browse around a bit. I'd probably post something big but I should probably get back to work!

Here's a pamphlet with some information. Good to carry one when you OC.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Post imported post

Thanks i am really curious on what it all means..

By schools is that any public school or can i carry on a private school ?

If i obatined a CCP from let say MN does it apply in wisconsin ?

Post imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
    Thanks i am really curious on what it all means..

By schools is that any public school or can i carry on a private school ?

If i obatined a CCP from let say MN does it apply in wisconsin ?
    You're referring to the school zone? Doesn't matter if it's a private or public school, you can't carry anything but an encased and unloaded firearm within 1000 feet of the school property line unless you are on private property.

Minnesota gun permit is not valid in Wisconsin, nor is a permit from any other state.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

thanks i guess i would have to unload and all that junk when i drop off my child. Is their any hoslter as long as its on the hip or shoulder holster on the outside ?

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
    I have a lot of questions and maybe some of you guys can point me in the right direction. I would like to open carry but what is the current rules that i should be made aware of ? What holster and can you have a round in the chamber ready to rock and roll ? What is the limits the OC ?
    Thank you for your service, RD; when are you due home?

If you want to learn about Wisconsin law as it's written, you can't do any better than
    this thread which lists all the applicable statutes. I believe it's better to understand them yourself than to rely on somebody else's interpretation.

Dave
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Wisconsin State Statutes and Caselaw

Please read The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Post imported post

end of the month.

Post imported post

It's K - 12 Schools ( public & private ) , Federal building, court houses, police stations,bars & places that serve alcohol. and must be cased when in your vehicle.
    otherwise enjoy & THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!!
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

thanks too for your kind words...

Can i have one round in the chamber ready to go ?

Post imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
    thanks too for your kind words...

Can i have one round in the chamber ready to go ?
    YUP. , locked & loaded...good to go.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
    thanks i guess i would have to unload and all that junk when i drop off my child. Is their any hoslter as long as its on the hip or shoulder holster on the outside ?

You cant operate a vehicle while carrying either, they consider this to be concealed carry. So you wouldnt have to unload and secure while dropping your child off because you couldnt carryanyway. If your walking him/her to school you wouldnt be able to get with in 1000 feet of the school before your in violation of the school zone. The right to defend yourself ends when your in a vehicle or near a school.

Oh, and as said before. Thank you for fighting for us.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

what if i cross the border lets say into IL ? does that change anything ?

Post imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
    I don't think you can even carry a handgun in IL. WI and IL are the only 2 states that don't allow concealed carry.

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
    You then enter a whole new world of crap and loss of rights. Illinois has some really draconian gun laws.
    If you are a resident of IL, you would need to procure a FOID card (Firearm Owners Identification) before having the legal ability to own, possess, or purchase any modern firearm, ammunition, or reloading supplies.

If you are a resident of another state (such as WI) the FOID card requirement becomes null & void, but they have several cities where you are not even allowed to possess a handgun.
    Their laws are very difficult to find, and understand. If you are traveling through the state without any stops besides gas, the federal laws protects you and give you the ability to transport legally if it is encased, unloaded, out of the passenger compartment and the ammo is separate from the case.

It is a huge clusterphuck basically, My advice would be to avoid IL, but if you are forced to visit, have pepper spray or an electronic device with you in accordance with their laws.

BTW, Welcome back, thank you, and dress warm!

Post imported post

Thanks ya IL isn't my fav state but they have a pick and pull right on the border that i might go to. I really hope we get a CCP in this state cause i am tired of all the bs.

Post imported post

welcome back, and glad you're doing ok.

don't take this personal, but it almost sounds as if you might be just a bit overzealous to get into carrying. please take your time, and read AS MUCH AS YOU CAN about the wisconsin laws, and any other states you want to travel to, so you don't become a "legal casualty" like some people do.

i have been reading and asking on here for quite a while, and am still very nervous about carrying in public because of all the "fine print" in and around the law. so unfortunately i haven't really carried away from my property yet.

also where in wisconsin are you returning to???

Post imported post

if i sound over zealous then try not having a firearm on you at all times. I been adjusted to having my m4 straped to me for 14 to 15 months. I dont like not having a weapons near me. I do feel safer having it on me or at least in not allowed setting a spot where i can go to and get it if need be.

Thanks for the information and laws.. i been trying to sort through the garbage we have been hearing about what you can and can't do.

Dousman area.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
    Thanks ya IL isn't my fav state but they have a pick and pull right on the border that i might go to. I really hope we get a CCP in this state cause i am tired of all the bs.
    Tell me where that pick and pull is; I might go there myself.

Is it almost midnight where you are now?

Dave
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Post imported post

davegran wrote:
    recklessdriver wrote:
    Tell me where that pick and pull is; I might go there myself.

Is it almost midnight where you are now?

Dave

Yes it is... last few days left on this crappy place and we are gone.

Post imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
    if i sound over zealous then try not having a firearm on you at all times.* I been adjusted to having my m4 straped to me for 14 to 15 months.* I dont like not having a weapons near me.* I do feel safer having it on me or at least in not allowed setting a spot where i can go to and get it if need be.

Thanks for the information and laws.. i been trying to sort through the garbage we have been hearing about what you can and can't do.**

Dousman area.
    sorry didn't mean to sound rude or insulting. i had actually thought about that, but neglected to mention it. i do understand where you are coming from having been there. unfortunately the problem is that i don't think using that as an excuse here is going to fly.

hey i'm not against you..........just don't wanna see you get in trouble with some dumb LEO's right after getting back from hell.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
    Yes it is... last few days left on this crappy place and we are gone.

Good luck and be careful! The last days are just as deadly as the first days.

I used to tell my guys to be sure and keep a short-timer's calendar journal because just a few days out and all you'll remember, and miss, are the good parts, the camaraderie and personal successes.

It took me years to remember the sweaty anxiety of the 'fish in the water' alarm or 'rig for collision'.

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    It's K - 12 Schools ( public & private ) , Federal building, court houses, police stations,bars & places that serve alcohol. and must be cased when in your vehicle.
    otherwise enjoy & THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!!
    You may carry in places that serve alcohol if you get permission from the owner or manager. Make sure you get that in writing or recorded. Several of us have done this without incident.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

comp45acp wrote:
    You may carry in places that serve alcohol if you get permission from the owner or manager. Make sure you get that in writing or recorded. Several of us have done this without incident.
    Do you have anything (case law) to show this????
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

comp45acp wrote:
    Never heard of that one...

Member of:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast