• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming home to wisconsin (returning from iraq)

recklessdriver

imported post

I have a lot of questions and maybe some of you guys can point me in the right direction. I would like to open carry but what is the current rules that i should be made aware of ? What holster and can you have a round in the chamber ready to rock and roll ? What is the limits the OC ?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the service and welcome home! (when you get here anyhow)

There are lots of threads here you can read about OCing in Wisconsin. Just browse around a bit. I'd probably post something big but I should probably get back to work!

Here's a pamphlet with some information. Good to carry one when you OC.

recklessdriver

imported post

Thanks i am really curious on what it all means..

By schools is that any public school or can i carry on a private school ?

If i obatined a CCP from let say MN does it apply in wisconsin ?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
Thanks i am really curious on what it all means..

By schools is that any public school or can i carry on a private school ?

If i obatined a CCP from let say MN does it apply in wisconsin ?
You're referring to the school zone? Doesn't matter if it's a private or public school, you can't carry anything but an encased and unloaded firearm within 1000 feet of the school property line unless you are on private property.

Minnesota gun permit is not valid in Wisconsin, nor is a permit from any other state.

recklessdriver

imported post

thanks i guess i would have to unload and all that junk when i drop off my child. Is their any hoslter as long as its on the hip or shoulder holster on the outside ?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
I have a lot of questions and maybe some of you guys can point me in the right direction. I would like to open carry but what is the current rules that i should be made aware of ? What holster and can you have a round in the chamber ready to rock and roll ? What is the limits the OC ?
Thank you for your service, RD; when are you due home?

If you want to learn about Wisconsin law as it's written, you can't do any better than
[size="+1"]this thread which lists all the applicable statutes. I believe it's better to understand them yourself than to rely on somebody else's interpretation.

Dave
[/size]

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's K - 12 Schools ( public & private ) , Federal building, court houses, police stations,bars & places that serve alcohol. and must be cased when in your vehicle.
otherwise enjoy & THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!!!

bigdaddy1

imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
thanks i guess i would have to unload and all that junk when i drop off my child. Is their any hoslter as long as its on the hip or shoulder holster on the outside ?

You cant operate a vehicle while carrying either, they consider this to be concealed carry. So you wouldnt have to unload and secure while dropping your child off because you couldnt carryanyway. If your walking him/her to school you wouldnt be able to get with in 1000 feet of the school before your in violation of the school zone. The right to defend yourself ends when your in a vehicle or near a school.

Oh, and as said before. Thank you for fighting for us.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
what if i cross the border lets say into IL ? does that change anything ?
I don't think you can even carry a handgun in IL. WI and IL are the only 2 states that don't allow concealed carry.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
what if i cross the border lets say into IL ? does that change anything ?

You then enter a whole new world of crap and loss of rights. Illinois has some really draconian gun laws.
If you are a resident of IL, you would need to procure a FOID card (Firearm Owners Identification) before having the legal ability to own, possess, or purchase any modern firearm, ammunition, or reloading supplies.

If you are a resident of another state (such as WI) the FOID card requirement becomes null & void, but they have several cities where you are not even allowed to possess a handgun.
Their laws are very difficult to find, and understand. If you are traveling through the state without any stops besides gas, the federal laws protects you and give you the ability to transport legally if it is encased, unloaded, out of the passenger compartment and the ammo is separate from the case.

It is a huge clusterphuck basically, My advice would be to avoid IL, but if you are forced to visit, have pepper spray or an electronic device with you in accordance with their laws.

BTW, Welcome back, thank you, and dress warm!

recklessdriver

imported post

Thanks ya IL isn't my fav state but they have a pick and pull right on the border that i might go to. I really hope we get a CCP in this state cause i am tired of all the bs.

scorpio_vette

imported post

welcome back, and glad you're doing ok.

don't take this personal, but it almost sounds as if you might be just a bit overzealous to get into carrying. please take your time, and read AS MUCH AS YOU CAN about the wisconsin laws, and any other states you want to travel to, so you don't become a "legal casualty" like some people do.

i have been reading and asking on here for quite a while, and am still very nervous about carrying in public because of all the "fine print" in and around the law. so unfortunately i haven't really carried away from my property yet.

also where in wisconsin are you returning to???

recklessdriver

imported post

if i sound over zealous then try not having a firearm on you at all times. I been adjusted to having my m4 straped to me for 14 to 15 months. I dont like not having a weapons near me. I do feel safer having it on me or at least in not allowed setting a spot where i can go to and get it if need be.

Thanks for the information and laws.. i been trying to sort through the garbage we have been hearing about what you can and can't do.

Dousman area.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

recklessdriver wrote:
Thanks ya IL isn't my fav state but they have a pick and pull right on the border that i might go to. I really hope we get a CCP in this state cause i am tired of all the bs.
Tell me where that pick and pull is; I might go there myself. :lol:

Is it almost midnight where you are now?

Dave

recklessdriver

imported post

davegran wrote:
recklessdriver wrote:
Tell me where that pick and pull is; I might go there myself.
:lol:

Is it almost midnight where you are now?

Dave

Yes it is... last few days left on this crappy place and we are gone.