• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

purchasing

viperar15

imported post

ya know... i know we have talked about this in the past, as I helped clarify some of this, since i had been through the new process right at the beginning of the registration changes. but its been a while and i have a friend buying a pistol and trying to clarify for her how to go about it.

1.) pistol was purchased through ffl dealer, out of state
2.) she does not have a cpl
3.) this is her first purchase

Does she have to go to the police station to get a license to purchase?
or
Just go to the FFL dealer, fill out the paperwork, and mail in the sales/registration record and keep her copy for 30days?

I dont think we have to go to the police station for anything at all anymore, do we?

like i said, its been a while, and works got my head fried with projects we are working on right now.

thanks!

EM87

imported post

You're picking up the pistol from a MI FFL, I assume.

She'll have to get a purchase permit she doesn't have a CPL. Take that to the dealer to buy the pistol. Return the paperwork within 10 days.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

If you live in a township (most do) you need to go to your local "cop shop". If not, your county sherriffs office (i had to drive almost an hour to get to ours) will have it. Go to the closes one to you first, they'll tell you where to go if your at the wrong place.

There is the firearms safety test you have to take and pass, which is general firearms "common sense". Then you get a sheet of card stock perforated into 4 pieces. One is for the seller, and one is for you. The other two are state copies, they are all labeled as such.

From the date of issuance(they have to issue it the same day you apply in MI) you have 10 days to purchase said handgun and register it with the state. No safety inspection is required. If you DO or DO NOT purchase a hand gun, you need to return the permit to purchase to the LE building you got it from.

All in all one big hassle.

viperar15

imported post

ok, thanks guys. :)

and to think she started out with stating... "i hate guns" and after many conversations and her getting married, and her guy wanting a pistol too.... she's been converted ;-)

yup... mi ffl dealer :)

Haman J.T.

imported post

I believe if you purchase a firearm (pistol) out of state,you have to have an FFL(where the gun is purchased) transfer the firearm to an FFL holder in MI.I used to be an FFL holder and believe that hasn't changed.

SlowDog

imported post

This is true. I have purchased out of state lately and they have to send through their FFL to your FFL locally. She just goes to LEO shack and get a purchase permit like already stated. If it's like for me in Redford it takes around 5 minutes. Make sure she has it notarized while she is there or it's no good.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
This is true. I have purchased out of state lately and they have to send through their FFL to your FFL locally. She just goes to LEO shack and get a purchase permit like already stated. If it's like for me in Redford it takes around 5 minutes. Make sure she has it notarized while she is there or it's no good.

When buying a gun out of state you need to transfer from an FFL in your home state yes, but it does not have to be shipped from a FFL to an FFL. Neither Fedex or UPS has a policy to disallow this type of shipping.

I've never had to have my PtP notarized. Other then filling out teh safety quiz there is nothing else needed. A CPL may or may not need be notarized with you present, havent had the "pleasure" of that hassle yet.

autosurgeon

imported post

Purchase permits MUST be notarized. This was part of the update from safety inspection to registration.. the way it is now.

Most places do it when you pick them up... and in some places gun stores have a notary on staff.

Also most banks can do this.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

There is no literature in the MCL about having it notarized, which is what i based my statement on.

When i posted i was more or less under the assumption that if it is notarized, it is done so in the LEOffice your in.

Has anyone had to have a 3rd party notarize it? Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to make sure anyone who has/is planning on using a PtP did not miss a step.

SlowDog

imported post

When I bought my wife her bersa 380 I forgot to get it notarized. The dealer wouldn't even talk to me about the sale til I got it done. So being the weekend I went to the UPS store and had it notarized.Thus a 3'rd party Notarization.