• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2010 Legislative Requests

aadvark

imported post

I do not understand why not, because New Mexico is Pro-Gun.

You read New Mexico State Law about Firearms and everything is fine..., and then, bang!, 30-7-3!, instant 4th Degree Felony if you carry around Alcohol.

Let me get this right...New Mexico Citizens are trusted in McDonalds, but not Pizza Hut?

snoball

imported post

Two ofthe legislators replied back to me after I asked their help in this session on two progun laws. They both said that there would be no time this year. They think the budget will get all the attention and we have to wait until 2011. Just not enough time this year....they will be passed

MDA_II

imported post

I've heard from a few senators that think they have a strong chance of getting SB-40 heard and voted on this session, but they agree it's going to be tougher than usual just because it's a short budget session.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

aadvark wrote:
I do not understand why not, because New Mexico is Pro-Gun.

You read New Mexico State Law about Firearms and everything is fine..., and then, bang!, 30-7-3!, instant 4th Degree Felony if you carry around Alcohol.

Let me get this right...New Mexico Citizens are trusted in McDonalds, but not Pizza Hut?

It is crystal clear you have no understanding of what it takes to change a law. Please allow me to invite you to the Legislature in Santa Fe. we currently have one bill you have already noted - SB40, and it's sister in the House side by Rep. Heaton is HB83 - already assigned committees. Please join us in ANY of those committees or the Senate or House floor session to help promote these bills, see what we're up against and educate yourself on the process. Especially join us in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Oh, forgot to ask - you ARE a resident of New Mexico aren't you?

When you post something requesting the legislature literally throw out all our firearms laws - even the ones that protect and give you privilages in the state - it's pretty hard to take you seriously.

If you ever have a REALISTIC, common sense suggestion how we can make a positive change, let me know and I'll do everything within my control to help get that change. However, first, you must be a resident of the state and be willing to do your share of the work when asked.

Havea great day.

Steve Aikens

snoball

imported post

Steve makes some good points. I do not like the political process required to pass laws, but it is a necessary evil. Like Steve says, get involved! I have attended many hearings over the years to get CCW passed and have written dozens and dozens of letters to our NM legislators to urge them to pass laws that are kind to gun owners. If you are polite, informed and determined, they will hear you and assist all of us in getting laws passed. If every gun owner would write a letter to their representative we would get the laws passed we need.

We are lucky to have someone like Steve working with the legislature on any gun related issue. If you do not know of him, I urge you to go to his website at http://www.nm-ccw.com . He is the founder and designer of www.handgunlaw.us which is probably the best summary of US gun laws ever compiled….and he is a NM resource. He is a NRA Certified, New Mexico Approved CCW Instructor….I just wish he was in Albuquerque! Take a look at his classroom on his website!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"I do not like the political process required to pass laws" -- snoball

Neither do I: Trying to get a herd of people to agree on anything not only is incredibly time-consuming/frustrating, it almost alwaysproduces something weak/watered-down in the middle as a "compromise," which is one reason I'm a Monarchist -- a stroke of the pen and it's law. No muss, no fuss. ;-)

-- John D.

RogueWarrior

imported post

What I'd like to see if possible that New Mexico would allow Non Citizens to get a NM CCW. I'm a permanent Resident I will not be able to get my Citizenship for about a year

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local%20News/Guns-in-eateries-measure--moves-forward

Read the bill here: http://legis.state.nm.us/Sessions/10%20Regular/bills/senate/SB0040.pdf

The next stop for restaurant carry legislation is the Senate Judiciary Committee. This is a very difficult committee for us. We really need help getting support for this bill. Please use the link below to find contact information for committee members to urge their support.

http://legis.state.nm.us/lcs/committeedisplay.aspx?CommitteeCode=SJC

Specifically, the following Senators did not support this bill last year. Please contact them directly and ask them to support us now.

McSorley, Richard Martinez, Michael Sanchez, Wirth. Senators Linda Lopez and Bernadette Sanchez were excused from the committee for that vote but would not have voted for the bill.

A couple talking points you could use are:

When we chose to dine at finer restaurants in NM today, we are required to disarm, lock our firearms in our vehicles and walk unprotected to and from the restaurant, stay unprotected in that restaurant and hope that our firearm hasn't been stolen from our vehicle when we return. We are left without the right of personal protection in those establishments. We are currently denied that right because someone else in those establishments might be drinking a beer. As history has shown, there have been numerous attacks on business owners, employees and patrons of restaurants over the years. Allowing New Mexican Concealed Carry Licensees to carry their firearms in these establishments is a deterrent in itself.

Since the Florida Concealed Carry Legislation was adopted in 1987 - Florida is the first state to allow concealed carry, 47 other states have now adopted similar legislation - no concealed carry license holder has been charged with any firearm related charge in a restaurant in any state. Concealed carry license holders are not the problem - criminals are the problem.

Of the 48 states that license for concealed carry in the U.S., only 7 states currently prohibit licensees to carry in restaurants - NM, LA, SC, NC, OH, MT, ND. If this bill passes, there will only be 6 states. Ohio has filed House Bill 203 to remove that restriction from their state law as well.

Please make calls and send email to ask for support. Please forward this email to your friends and ask them to do the same.

Thanks.

--
Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM

http://www.handgunlaw.us
http://www.nm-ccw.com
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Certified Instructor
NM DPS Approved Instructor
AZ DPS Approved Instructor

snoball

imported post

Steve- thanks for the time you take in Santa Fe to testify (and close your businesss to do it).

I just sent an e-mail to the Senators that did not vote for it last time.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"When we chose to dine at finer restaurants in NM today, we are required to disarm, lock our firearms in our vehicles and walk unprotected to and from the restaurant, stay unprotected in that restaurant..." -- steveaikens

It's another Luby's (Killeen) "shooting rampage" incident waiting to happen...and consequently, another Suzanna Gratia Hupp story to come. Then another after that.

The owner of Lubys -- and the state of Texas -- should have been sued at the very least for criminal negligence/wrongful death, for allowing this to happen asthey denied people the right to protect themselves yet at the same time provided no armed security inside the building to protect customers (or extend that concept to schools/students and workplaces/employees -- same thing). This happens over and over again yet there are no lawsuits, not even attemptsat bringing suit.

If someone can slip on your sidewalk at home, get hurt/break their neck and get killedand may bring suit for that (becausethe property/homeowner was "responsible" for the outcome), then why are businesses/schools and the state NOT likewiseresponsible? It's either justice for all or justice for none.

So Lubys (and MacDonalds, Columbine, etc.) is probably going to happen again...more people are going to die in some restuarant, school or retail business/corporate office, yet nothing changes. Businesses/schools/the statehave no "incentive"to do anything (doing the RIGHT thing is not enough, they have to be FORCED) because nothing happens to themfor being criminally negligentand/ordenying people their right TO LIVE! There are no consequences for them being irresponsible.

IMO, that's criminal behavior on the part of businesses, schoolsAND the state.

-- John D.

aadvark

imported post

Mr. Steve Aikens,

Thank you again for your continued support of Firearm Rights throughout New Mexico, and throughout the rest of The United States of America.

Forgive my unintelligent, and uninformed, comments concerning New Mexico Firearm and Explosive Law. The post, so cited, will be promptly removed. My comments in the previous post were uncalled for, and prove that I have no real understanding of New Mexican Law.

I do not, as you have alreadly suggested, live in New Mexico. Moreover, my Permit is not honored in New Mexico. Should I ever come to New Mexico, without any reciprocital agreement in place between my State and yours, I would have to Open Carry my Firearm..., orkeep it [concealed]in my Vehicle.

However, I was a little taken by surprise of New Mexico Law concerning Firearms and Alcohol, more specifically New Mexico Statute 30-7-3.

As is most probably obvious to you, and others by now, I live in a State that no longer regulates Firearm Carry in Restaurants that serve Alcohol, nor regulates Firearm Carry in any bona-fideLicquor Store Establishments. Nevertheless, establishments that derive more than 50% of their gross-annual income from the sell of Alcohol for consumption on-premesis are still off-limits, however. This only encompasses Bars though, and does not effect any other said Establishment, less Private Property'Policies' that may be in place.

Regardless of what others may think, I stand by my comment on the most recent post concerning being trusted in McDonald's, but not Pizza Hut. To me..., that is an insult to us all, regardless if we live in New Mexico or not. Law-abiding Adult Citizens who are Americans should be trusted.

Maybe you may be able to help me better understand the finer details of New Mexican Politics in the near future. I look forward to any returned correspondence about this matter on this Post as it pertains to Firearm Law in New Mexico.

Thank you again,

Aadvark

P.S.- I have two questions concerning New Mexico State Firearm Law. What New Mexico State Law bars Carry [whether Openly or Concealed] into State Public Buildings? Furthermore, does this, if any, prohibition apply to ALL Public Buildings (State, County, Local, City)thoroughout The State of New Mexcio?

SpaceCase

imported post

aardvark,

IIRC there is no law that State Buildings are off limits.

-Space

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

SpaceCase wrote:
aardvark,

IIRC there is no law that State Buildings are off limits.

-Space

That is correct.

The NM DPS website FAQ states they are but that information in not correct. I simply haven't had time to contact them to get it corrected.

If it is legal to carry in the NM Legislature [it is]- that's the Roundhouse that houses the Governers office - then it is legal in any State Building that is not individually posted or otherwise prohibited - like a courthouse.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I finally had a chance to reach the DPS CCU regarding the stated prohibition in State buildings.

The web master will be contacted ASAP and have that information removed from the FAQ page on their site.

--

Steve Aikens

Jared

imported post

RogueAussie wrote:
What I'd like to see if possible that New Mexico would allow Non Citizens to get a NM CCW. I'm a permanent Resident I will not be able to get my Citizenship for about a year

you could get an out of state permit that is recognized in NM. Also, they can not deny you based on alienage. This has been dealt with many times. Grahm v Richardson is the controlling SCOTUS decision. Strict scrutiny must be used when dealing with classifications of people. Kentucky was ordered by a federal court to issue to non citizens in the Says case.

The citizenship requirement was probably put into to CHL law in New Mexico to satisfy a few bigots in the legislature in order to get it to pass. Since the Richardson case, no gun laws that barred non citizens have been upheld in federal court when challenged.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Jared wrote:
The citizenship requirement was probably put into to CHL law in New Mexico to satisfy a few bigots in the legislature in order to get it to pass.

Jared. I take great offense to your statement labeling those of us that worked our asses off for YEARS to finally pass a concealed carry law in New Mexico bigots.

The ignorance of such statements castinginflammatory labelsagainst us speaks volumesof your character.

Steve Aikens

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If a "bigot" means one who is tired of (and pissed-off about) the millions of illegals here in America -- and one who believes that non-citizens should NOT haveanywhere near the rights American citizens do --then call me a bigot, too.

I certainly appreciate NM's gun laws. Even if they need some improvement (i.e., WHERE you can carry -- too many off-limits places -- "the state" should either TRUST its CC people or not) since here in TX we don't have OC...sowhen I visit relatives in Rio Rancho, NM, at least I can freely and legally OC if I choose to do so. Choice (and OC WITHOUT A PERMIT is nice.

Back when CC was pased in NM, I was a bit surprised in that NM is supposed to be largely Democratic, so I would have thought passing ANY pro-gun "conservative" legislation would have been unlikely. But it happened...which is great!

Hope repressive Hawaii can do it, too...

-- John D.