• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illegal to OC on Everett Mall Premises?

jbone

imported post

What if you were to enter from the Borders entrance via parking lot and not enter the MALL, are you on Borders property? Evenif they lease the space form the Mall owners, are you not sill on borders property? So if no borders employees called security for your removal could you tell security to pack sand?

massivedesign

imported post

jbone wrote:
What if you were to enter from the Borders entrance via parking lot and not enter the MALL, are you on Borders property? Evenif they lease the space form the Mall owners, are you not sill on borders property? So if no borders employees called security for your removal could you tell security to pack sand?

Doesn't work that way in most malls, unless the property is owned and deliniated by a specific store (most Sears OWN their building..as an example). The Malls have pretty stringent CC&R's that allow cross-use and very little ownership in specific stores. In those CC&R's there are usually sections that state the security procedures and rules that the stores must abide by in order to lease. They will also want to review the stores security procedures and make sure they are in line with theirs..

Malls are massive gustapo's... Whenever I send out a proposal to design a TI in a mall I charge a lot more knowing all the extra hoops I will have to go through just to get design approval... Westfield is the worst!

heresolong

imported post

erps wrote:
In Washington, private security makes citizen arrests all the time for shop lifting. Here is a link about citizen arrest powers in Washington state with the following quote:

every citizen has the right to arrest any person [[Orig. Op. Page 4]] whom he actually observes in the act of committing a misdemeanor. . . .
Carrying a firearm isn't a misdemeanor, and you haven't committed a trespass misdemeanor unless you refuse to leave after being asked. Ergo, they can't arrest you.

amlevin

imported post

phone guy wrote:
I have been OC ing at the Everett Mall for 2 years now.
I go in at Sears and pay my telephone bill. Just 2 days ago a young lady at T mobile ask if I was police? I said no just a regular guy. We talked about gun laws a little. She was surprised about OC and she said she will tell her boy friend who has a CPL. You know its all about education. It works very well.

The reason you haven't been asked to leave is that one of the "Paul Blart" types hasn't seen you or been called by the store.

I would expect to be hassled at Borders. Just take into consideration the types that usually work there. Birkenstocks (usually with socks), Liberal Arts Degrees (and usually working on that elusive PHD), voted for Gregoire, insist on Soy in their Latte', and most of all believe that guns should be removed from the planet so we can all live in perfect harmony.

erps

imported post

heresolong wrote:
erps wrote:Carrying a firearm isn't a misdemeanor, and you haven't committed a trespass misdemeanor unless you refuse to leave after being asked. Ergo, they can't arrest you.
and that's what the security guards warned:

I protested and queried about local and federal firearm laws, they said as the mall was private property they were free to ask anyone to leave who was violating their firearm carry rules and if I refused to leave I would be arrested for trespassing.

heresolong

imported post

erps wrote:
heresolong wrote:
erps wrote:Carrying a firearm isn't a misdemeanor, and you haven't committed a trespass misdemeanor unless you refuse to leave after being asked. Ergo, they can't arrest you.
and that's what the security guards warned:

I protested and queried about local and federal firearm laws, they said as the mall was private property they were free to ask anyone to leave who was violating their firearm carry rules and if I refused to leave I would be arrested for trespassing.
I agree. My post was a response to the one who seemed to think they could arrest you for carrying the firearm since their rules didn't allow it. They do have to ask you to leave and you have to be given the opportunity to leave.

kito109654

imported post

amlevin wrote:
phone guy wrote:
I have been OC ing at the Everett Mall for 2 years now.
I go in at Sears and pay my telephone bill. Just 2 days ago a young lady at T mobile ask if I was police? I said no just a regular guy. We talked about gun laws a little. She was surprised about OC and she said she will tell her boy friend who has a CPL. You know its all about education. It works very well.

The reason you haven't been asked to leave is that one of the "Paul Blart" types hasn't seen you or been called by the store.

I would expect to be hassled at Borders. Just take into consideration the types that usually work there. Birkenstocks (usually with socks), Liberal Arts Degrees (and usually working on that elusive PHD), voted for Gregoire, insist on Soy in their Latte', and most of all believe that guns should be removed from the planet so we can all live in perfect harmony.
HAHAHAHAHAAA! I would go shooting in Birks with socks and I prefer soy! ;)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

You know I live in a Birkenstock loving town of Bellingham. And I was pleasantly surprised at how much support I have gotten from those that I in the past have stereotyped as anti. It was a good lesson form met not to judge every book by its cover.