• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington State Premption

aadvark

imported post

In accordance with Washington Revised Code 9.41.290 Local Governments, which include: Communities, Towns, Cities, Counties, etc., are precluded from enforcing anything stricter than Washington Law concerning Firearms.

The State of Washington reserves, for itself, the sole authority to regulate Firearms.

The only exceptions are, pursuant to Washington Code 9.41.300, are:

1. Local Governments may regulate Firearms within: Law Enforcement Facilities, Jails, or any other place of confinement, and Court Houses/Rooms..., but these areas shall not apply to the common areas of ingress or egress, AND

2. Mental Health Facilities, less their common areas of ingress or egress, AND

3. Portions of establishments that are off-limits to Persons under 21..., but not common areas of ingress or egress of such buildings, nor Restaurants that merely sell Alcohol for consumption on premises(the focus here is more geared toward BARS), AND

4. Sterile areas of Airports, less common areas of ingress or egress and their terminals, AND

5. Stadiums and Convention Centers, but not Persons who have Concealed Pistol License from The State of Washington, AND

6. Local Discharge of Firearms and where they may be sold, with certain common sense exceptions that specify that these restrictions can not be any more severe than any other prohibited activity or business.

Furthermore, Sec. 1 of this article does not apply to anyone that: 1. Has a Concealed Pistol License, and 2. Allows such Firearm to be temporaily secured during your visit, and, then, returned before your depature. Local authorities must provide a lock-box for Firearms to be stowed under Sec(s) 1 & 2, of this article.

Other than this..., no Local Law applies..., in accordance with superior Washington State Law 9.41.290, so your Local GovernmentCAN NOTpass, or enforce,City Hall Bans, Park Bans, Library Bans, Loaded Guns in Public Places Bans, etc.

kito109654

imported post

I was going to add my sarcastic two cents as well but it's such a great part of the law here I just cant. Many do not have it as good as we have it with preemption.

jddssc121

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Don't let them give you too much crap, aadvark.  I'm glad you are reading the RCW; more people should.

except for

1 - he forgot something (RCW 70.108.150)

2 - his paraphrasing is wrong. go read the actual text of the RCW. he's off on a few counts

aadvark

imported post

Hey now..., listen, this post was in response to someown else's post thatI had read elsewhere in this forum, but I could not find it again to reply[there are many posts in this forum]..., so, I just wrote a new forum that hopefully would be seen by the Person I meant to reply to. This was an effort, in good faith, to answer His question as it pertained to Washington State Firearms Preemption. He has just recently moved to Washington, soHe honestly did not know.

jddssc121

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Hey now..., listen, this post was in response to someown else's post that I had read elsewhere in this forum, but I could not find it again to reply[there are many posts in this forum]..., so, I just wrote a new forum that hopefully would be seen by the Person I meant to reply to.  This was an effort, in good faith, to answer His question as it pertained to Washington State Firearms Preemption.  He has just recently moved to Washington, so He honestly did not know. 

That's great.... my only feedback was your summary is need of a bit of cleanup. We need to be sure when we share info, we're doing it as accurately and completely as possible...