• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a place near Lynnwood to plink cans with my two boys

VonKonig

imported post

Brothers and Sisters, patriots and upholders of our rights and freedoms - A question:

I've been a member for awhile but it's also been awhile since I logged in. Being, like many of you, a very busy husband and dad and career man, I'm looking to squeeze time in to take my boys out to do some plinking with my eldest's new .22 rifle. I've been to all the organized ranges south to Bellevue and north to Mt. Vernon. I'm not looking for that. What I'm looking for is a far removed place, free of liberal, gun grabbing bitchers (a tall order, I know), where I can safely plink cans against a dirt backstop or berm.... within a 30 miniute drive (or so) from Lynnwood. I realize there are probably threads on this, but I couldn't remember where they were. If you don't know of a place but can find the thread, I'd appreciate it if you could post the link here -- but again, I'm not looking for places like out around Issaquah or in Bellingham (please).

Thanks all, and best wishes for a very happy and prosperous 2010!

kito109654

imported post

"Near Lynnwood" is the part that will get you zero results. Maybe something out HWY 2 towards Gold Bar? That would be the closest I could think of. There are also some places out by Granite Falls but within 1/2 hour is a very tall order.

I live in Lynnwood as well and do all my shooting in Rockport at the family owned rock quarry...which is nice because the equipment is available to us to move berms as we see fit. For all that luxury though I must drive 1hr 40min. That is, until I move closer in the next couple months.

I just realized my post doesn't help you one bit. My apologies.

VonKonig

imported post

Ahhh, no worries. It just sucks not being able to just grab the rifles, packa lunchand go shoot somewhere with no hassles like when I was a kid. Though it can still be done in other parts I'm sure, I know it's asking a lot when looking for an experience like that withinhalf an hour's drive from Lynnwood. Thanks anyway...

amlevin

imported post

From Lynnwood I would consider two things. One would be to drive out to the DNR Gravel Pit on the NE corner of Sultan. It's about 35 miles or so from Lynnwood. It's an open gravel pit with no improvements. Take your own targets but no TV's, Washing Machines, etc. According to the "Locals" that police the pit area, DNR rules prohibit such target material. If you shoot at cans be prepared to pick up the remains so the DNR doesn't shut it down like most other areas that turned into trash heaps. Indiscriminate shooting has also closed most other close-in areas that used to be fun.

The second option would be to consider the cost of gas to drive to Sultan (round trip) and merely go to the Kenmore range located on 228th. 50 and 100 yard target distances. A controlled environment which might not be bad for a younger shooter to be exposed to. I took both of my Sons there when they were early teens and it was a good experience. Once they get the hang of shooting and the related safety practices, which are enforced at the Kenmore range, then it should be second nature when they go to more informal settings.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

I've been wondering something similar... where to do some plinking with my rifle... since I returned to the US, ALL the places I used to go have been made off limits.

Is there anything up the I-90 pass or that area? Gold Bar is around two hour drive (round trip) for me... so I can do it... but would like to at least find something closer to me on Mercer Island.

gtparlette

imported post

i go out to sultan basin all the time. its the kind of place your looking for. take hwy 2 to sultan. left on sultan basin road. left on 116th follow the road you will go through a yellow gate the road will bend right then left. and off to the left you'll see the shooting area. Don't shoot after dark the DNR has a real hard on for that. and don't treat it like a dump.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

gtparlette wrote:
i go out to sultan basin all the time. its the kind of place your looking for. take hwy 2 to sultan. left on sultan basin road. left on 116th follow the road you will go through a yellow gate the road will bend right then left. and off to the left you'll see the shooting area. Don't shoot after dark the DNR has a real hard on for that. and don't treat it like a dump.

How are the weekends out there? Is it crowded? Just curious.

Avoid night shooting... got it.... no TVs, Computers and Washing Machines.... ok... pick up brass and pop cans.... okey dokey.

gtparlette

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
gtparlette wrote:

Avoid night shooting... got it.... no TVs, Computers and Washing Machines.... ok... pick up brass and pop cans.... okey dokey.
Weekends are alright there. It doesn't seem to get crowded there. I think there may have been 20 people on saturdayafter noon. not all of them were shooting.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

gtparlette wrote:
gtparlette wrote:

Weekends are alright there. It doesn't seem to get crowded there. I think there may have been 20 people on saturdayafter noon. not all of them were shooting.
Hmm so how to the non-shooters handle the plinking?

amlevin

imported post

gtparlette wrote:
gtparlette wrote:

Hmm so how to the non-shooters handle the plinking?
The non-shooters are usually there with the shooters. The last time I was there a younger guy brought his "non-shooting" girl friend. Dressed like she was going to the mall in tight jeans, tank-top, and 4" heels. Looked good but the temp was in the high 40's, wind to 10 mph, and the entire pit consists of cobble stone sized rocks for a "floor". I doubt she was having a great time. I was just leaving so I don't know how long her boyfriend got to enjoy his shooting or if she just sat in the car and ran out his gas keeping warm.

kito109654

imported post

amlevin wrote:
The non-shooters are usually there with the shooters. The last time I was there a younger guy brought his "non-shooting" girl friend. Dressed like she was going to the mall in tight jeans, tank-top, and 4" heels. Looked good but the temp was in the high 40's, wind to 10 mph, and the entire pit consists of cobble stone sized rocks for a "floor". I doubt she was having a great time. I was just leaving so I don't know how long her boyfriend got to enjoy his shooting or if she just sat in the car and ran out his gas keeping warm.
Lame. My gf will kick some clay, paper, tin arse with a big grin on her face! :p

amzbrady

imported post

killchain wrote:
I bought my Ruger 10/22 for my wife. She loves it.

So I recently bought some stuff for it.

Shameless gun pr0n alert! :)
I bought a Marlin, yes I shoulda bought a ruger. cant get any options for the marlin, the ruger has larger clips, speed loaders, stock and barrels mods. all kinds of neat things. The marlin is accurate though.

killchain

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
killchain wrote:
I bought my Ruger 10/22 for my wife. She loves it.

So I recently bought some stuff for it.

Shameless gun pr0n alert! :)
I bought a Marlin, yes I shoulda bought a ruger. cant get any options for the marlin, the ruger has larger clips, speed loaders, stock and barrels mods. all kinds of neat things. The marlin is accurate though.
I bought a 10/22 simply because my Dad grew up with one, and raved about it.

Nothing wrong with a Marlin.

Is it a Model 60? A friend of mine has one of those, great gun. Definitely more accurate than my Ruger. Marlins seem to be the better selection for people who want to stick with the classic "wood rifle" look.

amzbrady

imported post

I got my marlin at big 5 on sale, it's a 795. I bought it on a whim, last one they had at that price. That'll teach me. only 10 shot mag, and nobody puts out anything for it.

I thought this was pretty cool, if you have 2 rugar 10/22's

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0034775227757a&navCount=0&podId=0034775&parentId=cat20803&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20803&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Bing&cm_pla=ruger%2010%2022&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080