• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GAttTotP?

GuitarMan270

imported post

I've searched high and low for some sort of straight-forward definition for "GAttTotP", but I've come up dry. :banghead:

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Dreamer

imported post

Most states have adopted "Brandishing" statutes, and formally defined the scope of this violation in Statute law, which makes it MUCH more difficult to be used as a "throw around" charge that an LEO can throw at you just because he personally doesn't like the idea of lawful OC.

The few states that still have a GAttTotP violation based in Common Law are Southern States, and this violation remains on the books primarily as a Jim Crow legal vehicle through which the "authorities" may discourage minorities (or other "undesirable" types) from lawfully carrying firearms.

It is a violation based in the class-ism of 13th century English Common Law, and has been allowed to stand in the US legal system as a covert tool for the promulgation of institutionalized racism by punishing the "wrong types of people" for lawful carry...

The GAttTotP violation needs to be repealed from ALL states, and replaced with well-defined, tightly specific "brandishing" statutes, that punish people for INTENTIONALLY threatening, terrorising, or hostile display.

I'm currently working on a draft Bill to accomplish this exact thing (text based somewhat on the VA "brandishing" statute), and will be talking with my NC Representative in the next month or so about formally drafting this Bill and introducing it in the next session (not the current one) of the NC General Assembly. My local Rep. is a Democrat, but he seems to have a pretty decent 2A voting record...

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

[sarcasm]
Certainly you are not implying that there is still racism in this country? Just because firearms regulation BEGAN with attempts to limit access to arms by freed slaves, you certainly do not mean to imply that these laws are still on the books in continuance of that tradition? What about New York and California? These areas could hardly be describes as minority unfriendly now could they?
[/sarcasm]

We need to get ALL of that sort of crap off the books in EVERY state.:cuss:

EDIT: We really do need to have you up for lunch sometime.

Dreamer

imported post

Hawkflyer,

I am planning to be in MD visiting family sometime in Feb. (well, that, and to contest a few "traffic camera" tickets my wife got in my car in Nov, and to possibly testify before the MDLegislature in favor of HB-52, at the request of Rep. Smigiel.)

I'll let you know when I'll be up, when the dates get finalized...

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Hawkflyer,

I am planning to be in MD visiting family sometime in Feb. (well, that, and to contest a few "traffic camera" tickets my wife got in my car in Nov, and to possibly testify before the MDLegislature in favor of HB-52, at the request of Rep. Smigiel.)

I'll let you know when I'll be up, when the dates get finalized...
21-27 is no good but the rest is fine. Keep in touch.

(PS - I don't do Maryland or DC unless ordered to go there)