• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This law seems to prohibit a lot of OC

Bird Dog

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Anything that is not specifically illegal is legal. That is the mistake that the sheriff in Houston County is making. He keeps saying that there is no law that OC is legal. There need not be.

You're right that things are legal unless there is a law against it. The issue here is that 13A-11-52appears to be just such a law.

In other words, we're all trying to reconcile 13A-11-52's apparent prohibition against carrying a pistol on premises that are not your own with 13A-11-73 and the opinions interpreting them.

The Sheriff's point seems correct to me. We have 13A-11-52 that made it illegal to carry a pistol on premises not your own. Then 13A-11-73 came along and made it legal to do so when the pistol is concealed or in a vehicle and you have a permit. But nothing has come along yet to authorize open carry on the property of others. So doesn't 13A-11-52 still prohibit that?

Bird Dog

imported post

eye95 wrote:
The AL SC has ruled that -73 is a complete revision of -52. -52 is dead law. (Yes, it would be better if it were physically deleted from the Code.) Unfortunately, it is dead law that you, the sheriff, and (at one time, but no longer) I have cited to say that OC is illegal.

Section 13A-11-52 isnot dead law. In 1997, the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals addressed that issue in K.J. v. State, 690 So. 2d 541:

"This Court is cognizant of the fact that the court's holding in Stinson seems to infer that the precursor to § 13A-11-52 was repealed by the enactment of the Uniform Firearms Act; however, the legislative history of the current § 13A-11-52 shows that the Legislature re-codified that section on two separate occasions following this Court's holding in Stinson, in 1940 and 1975. “It is a fundamental principle of statutory construction that in enacting [a] statute the legislature had full knowledge and information as to prior and existing law and legislation on the subject of the statute.” Miller v. State, 349 So.2d 129, 131 (Ala.Cr.App.1977).

We hold that § 13A-11-52 is still in effect as evidenced by the following cases where defendants were charged under this section: C.D.J. v. State, 671 So.2d 139 (Ala.Cr.App.1995), and A.M. v. State, 623 So.2d 421 (Ala.Cr.App.1993)."

eye95

imported post

Bird Dog wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Anything that is not specifically illegal is legal. That is the mistake that the sheriff in Houston County is making. He keeps saying that there is no law that OC is legal. There need not be.

You're right that things are legal unless there is a law against it. The issue here is that 13A-11-52appears to be just such a law.

In other words, we're all trying to reconcile 13A-11-52's apparent prohibition against carrying a pistol on premises that are not your on with 13A-11-73 and the opinions interpreting them.

The Sheriff's point seems correct to me. We have 13A-11-52 that made it illegal to carry a pistol on premises not your on. Then 13A-11-73 came along and made it legal to do so when the pistol is concealed or in a vehicle and you have a permit. But nothing has come along yet to authorize open carry on the property of others. So doesn't 13A-11-52 still prohibit that?
From the very beginning of this thread, that is the exact line of reasoning I took...

...until I read the AL SC decisions. -73 is, per the SC, a complete revision of the matter. They took this tack because OC cannot be prohibited, so -52 must apply only to CC. -73 being the newer law on CC, -52 is rendered entirely moot.

That is THE critical line of reasoning, the one that absolutely changed my mind.

eye95

imported post

Bird Dog wrote:
eye95 wrote:
The AL SC has ruled that -73 is a complete revision of -52. -52 is dead law. (Yes, it would be better if it were physically deleted from the Code.) Unfortunately, it is dead law that you, the sheriff, and (at one time, but no longer) I have cited to say that OC is illegal.

Section 13A-11-52 isnot dead law. In 1997, the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals addressed that issue in K.J. v. State, 690 So. 2d 541:

"This Court is cognizant of the fact that the court's holding in Stinson seems to infer that the precursor to § 13A-11-52 was repealed by the enactment of the Uniform Firearms Act; however, the legislative history of the current § 13A-11-52 shows that the Legislature re-codified that section on two separate occasions following this Court's holding in Stinson, in 1940 and 1975. “It is a fundamental principle of statutory construction that in enacting [a] statute the legislature had full knowledge and information as to prior and existing law and legislation on the subject of the statute.” Miller v. State, 349 So.2d 129, 131 (Ala.Cr.App.1977).

We hold that § 13A-11-52 is still in effect as evidenced by the following cases where defendants were charged under this section: C.D.J. v. State, 671 So.2d 139 (Ala.Cr.App.1995), and A.M. v. State, 623 So.2d 421 (Ala.Cr.App.1993)."

You know, you are making exactly the same arguments that I did. You really should read the whole thread (and the whole KJ opinion!).

It is not dead in that it is still codified. It is dead in that the AL SC has ruled that -73 is a complete revision of the matter.

Really, read the whole thread before replying again. It's long, but your posts are nearly word-for-word the same as mine! You are rehashing ground already covered in this thread.

Bird Dog

imported post

eye95 wrote:
From the very beginning of this thread, that is the exact line of reasoning I took...

...until I read the AL SC decisions. -73 is, per the SC, a complete revision of the matter. They took this tack because OC cannot be prohibited, so -52 must apply only to CC. -73 being the newer law on CC, -52 is rendered entirely moot.

That is THE critical line of reasoning, the one that absolutely changed my mind.

The "complete revision" phrase was not authored by the Alabama Supreme Court.

It came from the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals' 1977 opinion in Braxton v. State: "Section 175 applies to carrying an unlicensed pistol concealed on the person or in a vehicle, whereas s 161, supra, applies to carrying certain enumerated weapons concealed upon the person. Section 161 makes no exception for carrying a licensed pistol and thus insofar as they conflict, s 175 would prevail, it being the later statute and being a complete revision of the subject matter."

The problem with your reliance on the "complete revision"language is that in 1997 the same court wrote, "We hold that § 13A-11-52 is still in effect" in K.J. v. State.

The Braxton holding was also limited by the phrase "insofar as they conflict."

eye95

imported post

-52 is still in effect, but has been completely revised by -73.

OK?

BTW, saying that -73 is a complete revision is a recognition that -52 applies only to CC! Again, that is the key. That -52 deals with the only kind of carry that can be outlawed: CC!

There is no law saying that you may or may not OC.

But, once again. Read the whole thread. You are being repetitive of my own arguments--and I tire of answering my own arguments. Bring up something new that has not been brought up in this thread before, please.

Bird Dog

imported post

eye95 wrote:

OK?

BTW, saying that -73 is a complete revision is a recognition that -52 applies only to CC! Again, that is the key. That -52 deals with the only kind of carry that can be outlawed: CC!

But, once again. Read the whole thread. You are being repetitive of my own arguments--and I tire of answering my own arguments. Bring up something new that has not been brought up in this thread before, please.

I just disagree with your interpretation.

Originally, -52 outlawed all types of carry - open or concealed - on private property that is not your own.

-73 came along and legalized concealed carry and carry in a vehicle when done with a permit, but it did not address open carry one way or the other. In the 1977 Braxton opinion, the Court of Criminal Appeals simply held that -73 prevails over -52 "insofar as they conflict."

-73 and -52do not conflict on the issue of open carry, and therefore, -52 still applies in that context.

This is the only interpretation that makes sense to me.

What other interpretation can you think of that leaves -52 still "in effect," as the Court of Criminal Appeals said it was in 1997?

eye95

imported post

Bird Dog wrote:
eye95 wrote:

OK?

I just disagree with your interpretation.

Originally, -52 outlawed all types of carry - open or concealed - on private property that is not your own.

-73 came along and legalized concealed carry and carry in a vehicle when done with a permit, but it did not address open carry one way or the other. In the 1977 Braxton opinion, the Court of Criminal Appeals simply held that -73 prevails over -52 "insofar as they conflict."

-73 and -52do not conflict on the issue of open carry, and therefore, -52 still applies in that context.

This is the only interpretation that makes sense to me.

What other interpretation can you think of that leaves -52 still "in effect," as the Court of Criminal Appeals said it was in 1997?
Once again, you are repeating my arguments. So, I will stop responding. I really recommend that you read the whole thread before proceeding.

Bird Dog

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Once again, you are repeating my arguments. So, I will stop responding. I really recommend that you read the whole thread before proceeding.

I have read the entire thread. I believe your original argument was correct.

I do not believethat anythe arguments that were intended to rebut your original opinion are valid.

There are some cases that indicate that the defendant did not violate -52 because the state did not first prove a violation of -73. But all of those cases that I have found involved people carrying guns either concealed or in vehicles. In those cases, compliance with -73 (possessing a permit) would prevent the application of -52.

I cannot find any cases in which a court required proof of a violation of -73 in order to sustain a conviction under -52 when the person was not engaging in activity protected by -73 (concealed carry or carry in a vehicle).

Again, -73 overrides -52 only "insofar as they conflict."

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I've been watching this thread with interest; obviously state laws and how they are written and put into effect change from state to state. I remain convinced that you folks know more about your law than I do! :) Does anyone have a copy or link to the original bill text, before it was codified?

Bird Dog

imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
I've been watching this thread with interest; obviously state laws and how they are written and put into effect change from state to state. I remain convinced that you folks know more about your law than I do! :) Does anyone have a copy or link to the original bill text, before it was codified?

I do not. You cantry here: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/alishome.html

However, I think these laws all pre-date the computer age.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

As for your preference regarding permits for all forms of carry: Making that statement says a lot about your position and the direction your arguments are coming from. I will try to keep in mind that your personal beliefs support "should be regulated" rather than "shall not be infringed" and adjust my arguments for that.

First to your assertion that the statement made in State v. Reid is an obiter dictum and does not constitute stare decisis, I submit that you are correct. I further submit that, although dicta are not legally binding, they do set precedent until they are overturned. In the case Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad a passing remark by then Chief Justice Waite from before the arguments even began is the main basis as to whether the 14th amendment applies to legal persons as well as natural persons. That little bit of dicta, supported in other court cases, eventually led to the January decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. Until such time as a decision is made by the Alabama Supreme Court in regards to open carry, that statement stands as the official opinion of the Alabama Supreme Court.

You say that you agree that things which are not illegal are legal, and yet you regard -52 as prohibiting open carry. This is an interesting conundrum, as, taken out of context, that is exactly how it reads. In my opinion, the key to this issue is the context. 13A-1-3 states one of the purposes of title 13A as being "To give fair warning of the nature of the conduct proscribed and of the punishment authorized upon conviction;".

What is the nature of the conduct proscribed? Chapter 11, Article 3, Sections 50-55 deal with carrying weapons concealed. Section 50 defines the weapons that cannot be concealed, and the punishments thereof. Section 51 allows for a mitigating defense and is the basis for arguments that, while it is unlawful to carry arms offensively, it is legal and right to do so defensively. I am making the argument that Section 52 defines the places to which section 50 applies (any place that is not your own private property) and those who are exempt from this provision. Sections 53 and 54 add to the list of concealed weapons. Section 55, the key to my -52 argument, brings it all together. "In an indictment for carrying weapons unlawfully, it is sufficient to charge that the defendant carried concealed about his person a pistol, or other description of firearms, on premises not his own, ...describing it, as the case may be; ...and if the evidence offered to excuse the charge raises a reasonable doubt of the defendant's guilt, the jury must acquit him." It is my assertion that, due to the standards set forth for the prosecution of those sections of code, those sections refer only to concealed carry.

You may not be aware of this, but there is some authority that 13A-11-52 only applies to private property owned by another and not to open carry on public property. This interpretation seems to conflict with the plain language of the statute, but nevertheless it appears to be the law.
ALRanger will be very happy to hear this, it is a pet argument of his. :D

In light of the cases you cited, we are left with the opposing views that 1) -52 is bad law and has been superceded, or 2) -52 is still in effect, but only regulates the carry of a pistol on the private property of another. Neither of these two options make it illegal to openly carry a firearm. Wasn't that the initial point of your argument, that OC is illegal?

I must also point out that I find it immensely amusing, given you argument regarding dicta above that one of the deciding factors in the Isaiah v. State case you reference is the Reid case! Specifically "A statute which, under the pretense of regulating, amounts to a destruction of the right, or which requires arms to be so borne as to render them wholly useless for the purposes of defense, would be clearly unconstitutional" which was another peice of dictum that was unrelated to the decision against Reid.

As to your ridiculous assertion that gang members do not illegally conceal weapons because it is illegal, I submit that a criminal, by definition, does not follow the law. The current state of the law regarding things such as theft, assault, loitering, curfew, trespass, homicide, drug trafficking, et. al. do not concern gang members (insofar as they do these things anyway, but try to avoid punishment). Why should they be bothered by the legality of the way they carry their unlawfully obtained firearm? If this debate were constrained by the assumption, and it is a reasonable one, that all the people who would ever carry openly already carry concealed, then I reiterate my earlier argument: The only difference between open and concealed carry as it pertains to police officers, is that the officer can readily identify who is armed. This is more conducive to officer safety than the potential that every person they approach may be armed. I respectfully request that you do not ignore that argument this time around.

AL Ranger

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
You may not be aware of this, but there is some authority that 13A-11-52 only applies to private property owned by another and not to open carry on public property. This interpretation seems to conflict with the plain language of the statute, but nevertheless it appears to be the law.
ALRanger will be very happy to hear this, it is a pet argument of his. :D
You talkin' about me? You talkin' about me? It's nice to know I've made such an impression! I'm soooooooo happy now!:celebrateThis just goes to show you we have a lot of work to do in this area. So, how do we clean up this mess?

Bird Dog

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
As to your ridiculous assertion that gang members do not illegally conceal weapons because it is illegal, I submit that a criminal, by definition, does not follow the law. The current state of the law regarding things such as theft, assault, loitering, curfew, trespass, homicide, drug trafficking, et. al. do not concern gang members (insofar as they do these things anyway, but try to avoid punishment). Why should they be bothered by the legality of the way they carry their unlawfully obtained firearm? If this debate were constrained by the assumption, and it is a reasonable one, that all the people who would ever carry openly already carry concealed, then I reiterate my earlier argument: The only difference between open and concealed carry as it pertains to police officers, is that the officer can readily identify who is armed. This is more conducive to officer safety than the potential that every person they approach may be armed. I respectfully request that you do not ignore that argument this time around.

Your assumption that all the people who would ever carry openly already carry them concealed isa fallacy in your argument. It is contradicted by your acknowledgement that gang members try to avoid punishment.

In my experience, gang members don't just stand around with guns concealed on their bodies. They know the police might drive up at any time, so they hide their guns nearby. If they're selling drugs in front of a house, their guns will usually beinside the house because they know officers cannot go inside without a search warrant.

I'm not sayinggang membersnever illegally carry concealed weapons. Obviously, sometimes they have to move from place to place with them. But they don't just stand around with guns on them. For that matter, they don't hold dope on their bodies while standing around either. They also hide that nearby.

By the way, have you ever actually arrested a gang member? Most of them are a lot more street smart than you give them credit for.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Although I still contend that my assumption is a reasonable one for the purposes of this debate, I will concede the point. Given that this is an area where your job gives you much more experience than mine would, I will bow out of this particular part of the debate.

As for your arguments regarding section 52, you very nearly have me convinced that it only applies to private property. I still, however, don't see how this can be construed to make open carry an arrestable offense.

I'm going to try to find Ranger's post about 52 and private property, because I think you ought to read his other assertion in that thread.

AL Ranger

First, my opinion starts with the ALSC Reid decision in 1840. The court stated that the legislature can't inhibit the citizen from bearing arms openly without violating the state constitution. That has held with every law, court case and AG opinion we can find. Therefore, any statute restricting open carry would violate the constitution.

Second, there is no law specifically outlawing open carry anywhere. Everything is legal until a law is made against it.

Third, the exception clause of -52 means all other statutes in Article 3 must be taken into account. That includes -73 and -55 which states the charge is concealed carry on premises not your own.

Fourth, in the 1914 Crim. Appeals case of Johnson v State, "private property" not your own or under your control is used interchangably with "premises" not your own or under your control.

Fifth, 13A-11-59.4 Public places (as defined in the statute) citizens have an access and a right to resort to business, entertainment or other lawful purpose. If I have legal access and a legal right to something, that puts it under my control while I am using it or accessing it, just as if I was house-sitting for a friend. It may not be my property but I do have limited legal access to it. Public places is defined as not just public property but private property doing business with the general public.

Sixth, every firearms law before or after -52 mentions "concealed" carry specifically.

Seven, the several AG opinions (from 1955, 1984 and 2007) have agreed that the law recognizes open carry as lawful, unlicensed and practically unrestricted while concealed carry is unlawful without a license.

Eighth, court cases such as Looney v State (1962 - quoting AGO 1955) and Morris v State (1977) makes it plain that no license is needed when a pistol is carried unconcealed in public while on foot.

Ninth, while the statutes specifically outlaw concealed carry (w/o a license) and set a prescribed fine and punishment for the act (-50), there is nothing of the kind made for open carry.

Tenth, in the context of -52 applying to "private property", the courts have already ruled and citing AGO opinions that a person can open carry almost anywhere including the private property of another, UNLESS there are posted signs or you are refused by the owner or manager. The possible reason for -52 is that no one under the law is allowed to violate the private property of another, including law enforcement. This law makes that claim and then sets up an exemption for several groups but only while in the performance of their official duties. That is why armed citizens must obey posted signs or warnings and law enforcement do not. If they have official business on the property, they can go armed. That is what -52 is all about and why it starts with the exception clause.

ALOC1911

I know this is almost a year old but here's another point to think about I have not seen mentioned here. -52 says non LEOs cannot carry on any property not your own or under your legal control. That is not disputed. -73 says a license is not needed to carry on your own property as does -52. None of this is disputed. There are two types of property. Property you own or are in legal control of and property you don't and are not in legal control. If the law plainly says I cannot carry on property not my own or under my control, that same and another law plainly says I do not need a license to carry on my own property, then somebody tell me why the sheriff's office sells pistols licenses if I don't need one on my property but can't carry anywhere else because anywhere else is not my property. There is but one answer to this and that is the fact that it is legal to carry on "property not your own" openly and concealed. That can only mean that either -52 or -73 has to go as they cannot exist together because they contradict each other. Guess which one is the latter statute. And Bird Dog, if you're still around which I doubt you are, I don't know why anybody would say dicta doesn't hold the weight of law. It basically absolutely does especially when dealing with the question of what does a law mean and not whether somebody is charged with breaking it or not. The dicta you say the 1840 SC issued is irrelavent to the faact of whether somebody was charged with breaking a law or not as it did not speak of whether somebody was guilty or not. It merely stated what they thought the law was according to the constitution and basically is a statement as to how they would rule if they were to hear such a case.

Daylen

I know this is almost a year old but here's another point to think about I have not seen mentioned here. -52 says non LEOs cannot carry on any property not your own or under your legal control. That is not disputed. -73 says a license is not needed to carry on your own property as does -52. None of this is disputed. There are two types of property. Property you own or are in legal control of and property you don't and are not in legal control. If the law plainly says I cannot carry on property not my own or under my control, that same and another law plainly says I do not need a license to carry on my own property, then somebody tell me why the sheriff's office sells pistols licenses if I don't need one on my property but can't carry anywhere else because anywhere else is not my property. There is but one answer to this and that is the fact that it is legal to carry on "property not your own" openly and concealed. That can only mean that either -52 or -73 has to go as they cannot exist together because they contradict each other. Guess which one is the latter statute. And Bird Dog, if you're still around which I doubt you are, I don't know why anybody would say dicta doesn't hold the weight of law. It basically absolutely does especially when dealing with the question of what does a law mean and not whether somebody is charged with breaking it or not. The dicta you say the 1840 SC issued is irrelavent to the faact of whether somebody was charged with breaking a law or not as it did not speak of whether somebody was guilty or not. It merely stated what they thought the law was according to the constitution and basically is a statement as to how they would rule if they were to hear such a case.

-52 does not refer to open carry and through another law, -55, refers to CC ONLY. Also, -52 only applies as a law as it is consistent with -73; this is all clarified in Braxton vs State and C.D.J vs State. Please read more than one sentence before making up rumors that can get people arrested.

Kirbinator

Notably, the courts have decided that there are two ways to decide if a Section of Code is effective; one is by declaration of punishment, and the other is by declaration of offense. Misdemeanors and Felonies are differentiated by length of jail sentence and/or fine. -52 contains no punishment, and no section of law above it declares it to be a crime. Nor does anything else specifically declare it to be a violation -- no where in this section does it mention "unlawful", "illegal", or other reference to law.