• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goldstar Open Carry State

M

McX

imported post

no. our state hung onto some things even though they died on the federal level. loaded car is concealed, and we ain't got no concealed. fighting in the trenches every day just to keep open carry alive. loophole in our state constitution, like some other states, lets us do that. but it flies in the face of what law enforcement was taught around here in the 80's of gun equal bad. so the cops need to reprogram. then there's the populace. we never had concealed, nothing, so a gun is a new idea. so the populace needs to reprogram. the school zone bit will land you in jail, and you won't get off round here. anyone step in here;

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Not knowing the criteria for a "Gold Star Open Carry State", I suspect not.

Wisconsin would remain an anomalous OC state for its statute law not addressing OC. OC is legal in Wisconsin only as a conclusion of law.

Gun carry is a constitutional right; concealed carry is prohibited :. OC is the only carry admitted by statute law.

The law is a jackass that lawyers ride to work.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ Goddamn the Obamination and its teeth.

M

McX

imported post

The Master speaketh the truth. the pressure oc is exerting on the state and local governments, is coming at the best time, an election year will guarentee us some kind of address. our governor to this point vetoed, but those below them endorsed. so if we can change what we got in madison, we have a hope of change. the local OCer's keep the changes occuring at the local levels. but what we will get is anyone's guess at this point. cops? i guess they'll be notified by email- this being the 21 century. we strive for the most liberal of rights, and hope for the best.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NewZealandAmerican wrote:
I understand that if the Gun Free School Zone law and the loaded gun Car Carry restriction were repealed, am I right in saying that this would then make Wisconsin a "Gold Star" Open Carry state?
Yes, but its only the car carryban that needs to be repealed- see definition on the carry map: "Generally preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles without a license; localities generally preempted."

We should probably correct the English there to read: "Open carry generally permitted on foot and in vehicles without a license; localities generally preempted."

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Wisconsin would remain an anomalous OC state for its statute law not addressing OC.
Nope - if its not illegal, its legal - few gold star states even mention open carry in positive law.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

So what do we as a group need to do toaccomplish these goals of having the current GFSZlaws repealed?

The only way I am seeing this happening is by a challenge in the courts by someone offering themselves as the sacrificial lamb by getting arrested for violating the GFSZ law, them being found guilty in the lower courts, and having it go farther up the ladder into a court where they can then find the law unconstitutional.

I do not know of many people willing to put the loss of their future 2A rights on the line for a gamble like that, But I believe we already have a WI OCDO member dealing with a GFSZ charge right now. (confederate soul??)

Maybe he can check in and let us know how things are going? (hint, hint)

I am guessing that if the issues about GFSZ's are brought up any other way, the ignorant mongrels at WAVE, and all the other anti-rights organizations will twist it around to fit their needs and come out with a headline in the Milwaukee Journal that reads something like "Aggressive gun-toting nutjobs want to pack-heat in your childs school" or something equally ridiculous.

What do you think?

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What do we do to get the GFSZ and VC laws repealed. Write, Write, Write. Write to every legislator you know, letters to the editor, letters to law enforcement. Make as much noise as possible. It does little good to prattle amoung ourselves.

I've mentioned it times before and I know it's unpopular with some of you, but from my experience in management and politics not much will be done without numbers. Politicians have no problem dealing with a few mosquitoes. It takes a whole swarm to get their attention. That is why we gun rights activists must have a coalition. We have to put aside our differences and "go it alone" attitudes and group together for a common cause. Nothing less will get the job done. As painful as it is for some we must become a "bundle of sticks".

turbojohn41

imported post

A Racine man actually drew his weapon in a school zone when hes being harassed by three guys and was not charged. I believe our state constitution overrides laws that deny you self defense or lawful purpose's. Remember the pizza delivery man that went to the Wisconsin supreme court for aconcealed weapons charge and was found not guilty. But some DA's would try anyway.

gbu28

imported post

Wasn't the pizza guy case predicated on the notion that he had been robbed in the past and therefore it justified his need for a firearm, essentially. IIRC, it was that case that essentially said in order for you to carry concealed, you had to show you've been a victim prior. If I understood that correctly, it's ridiculous. Instead of a robbery let's say it was a rape instead. So in order to be able to defend yourself against rape legally with a concealed firearm, you had to have been raped in the past first? So rape comes first, then legal concealed carry. Robbery comes first, then legal concealed carry.

Unless I misunderstood the ruling... :banghead:

protias

imported post

gbu28 wrote:
Wasn't the pizza guy case predicated on the notion that he had been robbed in the past and therefore it justified his need for a firearm, essentially. IIRC, it was that case that essentially said in order for you to carry concealed, you had to show you've been a victim prior. If I understood that correctly, it's ridiculous. Instead of a robbery let's say it was a rape instead. So in order to be able to defend yourself against rape legally with a concealed firearm, you had to have been raped in the past first? So rape comes first, then legal concealed carry. Robbery comes first, then legal concealed carry.

Unless I misunderstood the ruling... :banghead:
You get murdered, then you can carry. :banghead:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

gbu28 wrote:
Wasn't the pizza guy case predicated on the notion that he had been robbed in the past and therefore it justified his need for a firearm, essentially. IIRC, it was that case that essentially said in order for you to carry concealed, you had to show you've been a victim prior.
Not really, you do not need to be a vistim of previous crimes first.
the way the law is written it states that if your need to self-defense outweighs the need for the state to prohibit the practice.

So, the way I understand it isif you get attacked, and you just happen to have a illegallly concealed weapon, and you use it for a valid case of self defense, your need outweighed the states prohibition of the practice. (Vegas) and the concealed carry law is null and void. Screwed up? Yes! How in the hell are we supposed to knowwhen we might need todefend ourselvesand when we do not????
I wonder if the wording in the case law with Vegas could be used successfully to have the concealed prohibition repealed?