• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus Judge

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
Well load 3 shot shells and 2 45 LC for the close in work. Empty them all in to them. If they are still standing you need a bigger gun. ;)
If it comes to pulling the trigger, I'd prefer to have the matter finished with the fewest possible tries instead of gradually working my way up to getting their attention.

"Stop!" BANG
"Don't do that!" BANG
"Please Stop!" BANG
"I really mean it!" BANG
"I'm serious now!" BANG

VS.

"Stop!" BANG BANG

If I had one, when it was serving SD duty, all the holes would be filled with .45LC.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
My only impression, was that it was the answer to a question that was never asked. They are too large for realistic use as a CCW piece, and I just personally feel better when I have more than five rounds on tap for a defensive piece.

Would be fun to play with in a pumpkin patch the day after Halloween, though. :D
If you have to defend yourself, you figure there will be more than 5, or just a bad shot?

I don't subscribe to that type of logic. Do you only carry when you're going to be in a "bad" neighborhood? Only put 2 gallons of fuel in your 25mpg vehicle when you need to drive 50 miles?Buy milk onecereal-bowl-worth at a time?

I don't know what kind of a situation I would be in when it comes time to actually have to use my weapon, but for the size and weight of the Judge, I can carry a fully-loaded GLOCK or SigAND a spare mag. I can get quicker follow-up shots, and not have to count my shots, in fear of running out right away.

As a plinker or range toy, I think the Judge would be a nice option, but for serious self-defense, my personal opinion is that there are much better options.

Decoligny

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
My only impression, was that it was the answer to a question that was never asked. They are too large for realistic use as a CCW piece, and I just personally feel better when I have more than five rounds on tap for a defensive piece.

Would be fun to play with in a pumpkin patch the day after Halloween, though. :D
If you have to defend yourself, you figure there will be more than 5, or just a bad shot?

If you think that one shot is going to take someone down you are probably wrong. There was a case not to long ago, where a guy got shot 19 times before he went down, and he wasn't doped up.

For home defense, I have a 9mm with a 10 round magazine, with another 10 rounder, and two 8 rounders for reloads if necessary. I also have the ammo box with 1,000 rounds right next to the bed if the zombies keep coming through the door (it also keeps my new puppy from getting behind the bed to poop.:D)

KBCraig

imported post

If you want a shotgun, buy a shotgun. If you want a .45, buy a .45. As a compromise, the Judge fails at both.

The only valid argument I've seen in its favor, is that a load of birdshot directly in the face will strongly discourage a carjacker (or at least render him blind). Other than that, it sucks as a defensive weapon. It appeals to emotion, not logic.

The .410 shotgun is on the very low end of marginal when it comes to defensive use, and that's with an 18"+ barrel. Why do people project some magical qualities onto this same marginal caliber when it's delivered from a 2.5" handgun?

Muzzle energy is muzzle energy. Do the math, not the marketing hype.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Buy milk one cereal-bowl-worth at a time?
Actually I do. I buy it in those little self serve cartons. They last longer for me cause I drink very little milk anyway......

Back to the subject -
Everyone has their own idea of what is best. My suggestion is just carry the damn thing and load it how you prefer.

Trigger Dr

imported post

OK if you must know, I bought the Judge because a local range had an informal match where six clay birds were placed at random on a chicken wire fence. At a range of 30 feet, standing with your back to the targets, A start signal is given, with your hands held shoulder height you turn and face the target BEFORE you can draw, then engage the targets. Most birds in shortest time wins. Firearm required to be a revolver, max number of shots 6. Answer, ...the Judge and 410's. after I won for the third time they banned the judge

Trigger Dr

imported post

They banned the gun and that effected5 shooters who bought their guns after I did. Now the match is gone.

Cremator75

imported post

I would think with some slugs or 000 buck it would make a good mountain gun where if needed for self defense it would most likely be from a bear or cougar.

Cremator75

imported post

I think it's plenty adequate for self defense against people. I would not want to get shot by anything that comes out of it. .45 LC or .410 slugs is more than enough to drop about any size animal at fairly close range.

ghosthunter

imported post

I took my new judge for its first dance today and really enjoyed it. It is my new Hunting ,Hiking, and out in the woods gun.

It had a lot less recoil than I was expecting. Holsters are hard to come by in Skagit Co. there are non. But I ordered one from Cabela's.

Thanks all for your comments. ;)