• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A salient message of why, more than ever, personal protection is required in VA

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

This quote is from http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0110/693583.html?ref=rs&cmpid=rss_news_693583

“I am not sure if this communication was intended to be confidential, as are the facts surrounding the incident, but I feel that with the pending budget cuts proposed for the Constitutional Office of Sheriff I must bring the proposed wanton disregard for thesafety of the citizens of the Commonwealth to light. The budget cuts to sheriffs total $164,000,000 for the two year period, '10/'11 and '11/'12, plus additional jail cuts. Governor Kane's budget reduced, by language, the law enforcement 1-1,500 populationformula to 1-2000. This will result in nearly 1,700 positions being abolished statewide. We hear daily of the radicalIslamic terrorist plansto attack our country, we hear...as recently as Christmas Day of the attack by the terrorist aboard a Delta flight over Detroit, why don't we hear daily of our Commonwealth's plans to increase our law enforcement resources, not decrease them? As a retired federal agent I always remember a comment by one of my instructors in basic agents school…”Think globally, act locally. That was 36 + years ago and terrorism, as we know it today, was not on the radar, but this comment is even more salient today…so why are we abolishing deputy sheriff positions? ”

You think response of LE is slow now, it looks like it may be even slower soon. If more citizens are armed in light of this maybe crime would be reduced even as the number of LEOs are reduced.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had WSET on last night and heard something about a person on the terrorist watch list being picked up, but I didn't catch any details and I certainly didn't hear anything about it being local. Some people think that sleepy little Lynchburg has no issues, but this should be a good reminder thatit's not just the common street thug you must be concerned with, but possibly the most notable of criminals/ enemiesmay just be passing through our area.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

nuc65 wrote:
This quote is from http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0110/693583.html?ref=rs&cmpid=rss_news_693583

“I am not sure if this communication was intended to be confidential, as are the facts surrounding the incident, but I feel that with the pending budget cuts proposed for the Constitutional Office of Sheriff I must bring the proposed wanton disregard for thesafety of the citizens of the Commonwealth to light. The budget cuts to sheriffs total $164,000,000 for the two year period, '10/'11 and '11/'12, plus additional jail cuts. Governor Kane's budget reduced, by language, the law enforcement 1-1,500 populationformula to 1-2000. This will result in nearly 1,700 positions being abolished statewide. We hear daily of the radicalIslamic terrorist plansto attack our country, we hear...as recently as Christmas Day of the attack by the terrorist aboard a Delta flight over Detroit, why don't we hear daily of our Commonwealth's plans to increase our law enforcement resources, not decrease them? As a retired federal agent I always remember a comment by one of my instructors in basic agents school…”Think globally, act locally. That was 36 + years ago and terrorism, as we know it today, was not on the radar, but this comment is even more salient today…so why are we abolishing deputy sheriff positions? ”

You think response of LE is slow now, it looks like it may be even slower soon. If more citizens are armed in light of this maybe crime would be reduced even as the number of LEOs are reduced.

Virginia is the best fiscally managed state in the nation and has been for quite some time. It is unfortunate that we have had some governors and legislators who are more concerned with doling out the public largess to welfare and creating entitlements, neither of which is part of our state constitution, than doing what is in the constitution.

I would hate to see Virginia Kalifornia'd in the name of "caring and kindness".