• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flat Rock, MI Gun Ban

James_Liv_Co

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
Arm yourself (open carry) and walk into city council and confront them like I did.

A very good way to ensure that any local reporter makes headlines, and gets a groundswell of petition signatures to ban open carry across Michigan.

Confrontation is NOT the answer.

Going to a meeting, unarmed, and making your voice heard, as a reasonable citizen asking them to repeal an invalid ordinance, gets the public on your side.

Confrontational action, while armed, is the LAST thing you want to do, if you truly want to change local attitudes and comfort levels.

One thing you must understand- EVEN if the local ordinance is still on the books, it is not enforceable.

The State of Michigan still has a large number of unenforceable laws on the books.

But since the State of Michigan legislature made clear that THEY are the only ones who can set open carry laws state wide, you stand a good chance of forcing the State Legislature to do something about it.

Attitude is everything.

Impressions are important.

Your right to open carry, is currently at the grace of the Legislature in Michigan. Should they choose to impose new rules, they can do it. So far, they have not. That's because there have not been significant incidents thus far, and political pressure to "do something" at the state level hasn't been strong. Your being confrontational in a local city council meeting could have very adverse reactions.

Yes, it would be nice if they removed the clearly unenforceable ordinances off the books of all small communities. The State of Michigan has unenforceable laws on the books too. You must use respect, reason, logic, and get public support in order to change things.

Confrontation is not the way to get it done. You only risk stirring up enough support to lose your right to open carry by such things as state-wide ballot measures in the future, or by legislation passed by sitting Legislators who must also answer to riled up local constituents.

Sorry, but that the flat-out truth.

American Sheepdog

imported post

We all have our passion and we operate in different ways. Each person must stand for justice in their own manner they see fit under the law. I don't take kindly to being told my way is not as good as another, especially when it is protected by the 2nd Amendment. At what point do you threaten a tyrannical government with legal action? When It's too late?
Do it your way, I'll do it mine. Personally, I know for a fact the reason folks choose to write letters and go in front of government for a redress of grievences is because they are afraid of them. I see it with my own eyes. One thing is certain...they will know me by name and I will have performed my duty to petition my government without fear of reprisals.

American Sheepdog

imported post

My right to carry is not by the grace of some legislature. That's where your rights come from. If they take it away, you are screwed. But for me, and thousands of true patriots who understand the unalienable right, the only way I am not allowed to carry is if they physically take it from me without my permission and with whatever Constitutional resistance necessary.
Makes me wonder if folks who believe their rights come from the whim of sitting legislators would turn in their gun if they were told to. I would rethink some things you wrote.

PDinDetroit

imported post

James_Liv_Co wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:
Arm yourself (open carry) and walk into city council and confront them like I did.
Sir, I respectfully disagree.

Do some research on this site, I believe you will find that the reason that Open Carry has come this far is EXACTLY what American_Sheepdog did - stood up for his rights. This site is chock-full of what has been accomplished by PEACEFULLY ASSEMBLING and ASSERTING OUR RIGHTS, not disarming.

Fear is not the answer.

American Sheepdog

imported post

Do some research on this site, I believe you will find that the reason that Open Carry has come this far is EXACTLY what American_Sheepdog did - stood up for his rights. This site is chock-full of what has been accomplished by PEACEFULLY ASSEMBLING and ASSERTING OUR RIGHTS, not disarming.

Fear is not the answer.
Thanks bro!

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Received this email from Chief Rossow today.

Mr. Webb,
FYI – the new ordinance had its second reading and became law on March 15, 2010.

Respectfully,
Neal A. Rossow
Chief of Police
City of Flat Rock
25500 Gibraltar Rd.
Flat Rock , MI 48134
(734) 782-2496

BreakingTheMold

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
James_Liv_Co wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:

Fear is not the answer.

Couldn't agree more

Recoil88

imported post

I grew up in Warren Ham that city was a lot different back then. Im glad i moved away from there. There is way too much crime and drugs in that city now and no one does crap about it.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

James_Liv_Co wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:

A very good way to ensure that any local reporter makes headlines, and gets a groundswell of petition signatures to ban open carry across Michigan.

Going to a meeting, unarmed, and making your voice heard, as a reasonable citizen asking them to repeal an invalid ordinance, gets the public on your side.

Confrontational action, while armed, is the LAST thing you want to do, if you truly want to change local attitudes and comfort levels.

One thing you must understand- EVEN if the local ordinance is still on the books, it is not enforceable.

The State of Michigan still has a large number of unenforceable laws on the books.

But since the State of Michigan legislature made clear that THEY are the only ones who can set open carry laws state wide, you stand a good chance of forcing the State Legislature to do something about it.

Attitude is everything.

Your right to open carry, is currently at the grace of the Legislature in Michigan. Should they choose to impose new rules, they can do it. So far, they have not. That's because there have not been significant incidents thus far, and political pressure to "do something" at the state level hasn't been strong. Your being confrontational in a local city council meeting could have very adverse reactions.

Yes, it would be nice if they removed the clearly unenforceable ordinances off the books of all small communities. The State of Michigan has unenforceable laws on the books too. You must use respect, reason, logic, and get public support in order to change things.

Confrontation is not the way to get it done. You only risk stirring up enough support to lose your right to open carry by such things as state-wide ballot measures in the future, or by legislation passed by sitting Legislators who must also answer to riled up local constituents.

They can try but they Cannot ban an activity protected by Constitutional Law.

Bailenforcer

imported post

James_Liv_Co wrote:
American Sheepdog wrote:

Attitude is everything.

Confrontation is a tool in the arsenal of debate. Like any tool one has to use the right one at the right time. Confrontation for the sake of confrontation invites disaster. Yet confrontation when measured is your ace card. I agree that we must be firm, yet cordial when possible. I will include a quote from the bible which sums it up well. One can be an Atheist and see the value of this statement.

Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

It tells us a lot on how to deal with the liberal wolves, and media jackals.
We must measure every thing we do, and every step we make. Wise men are needed in this fight. The general public can be disarmed by our intellect, kindness and forthcoming nature. This can only help us. If the public at large see's us as kind people who are there to exercise not only our rights, but to preserve the rights of the public at large, they will see us as an ally not a potential problem. So this little lamb might go about armed to deal with wolves, but the public will still see me as harmless as a lamb when possible.

I hope I made this point understandable.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
They can try but they Cannot ban an activity protected by Constitutional Law.
Tell that to the people in California, who are on the verge of losing their right to OC UNLOADED firearms.

It's difficult to predict what will happen, but this is the same state that banned the .50BMG rifle because it MIGHT shoot down an airplane. (never mind that it really takes a .50BMG machine gun to actually do that.) So don't be too surprised if OC goes the way of the do-do bird in CA.