• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA members and Rand Paul supporters: Ask the NRA to endorse Rand!

Liberty4Ever

imported post

Hopefully, Rand Paul will receive the NRA endorsement with our help. Rand is the obvious choice for any organization with an interest in the right to keep and bear arms. This is a great opportunity for the NRA to demonstrate that they are solidly behind gun rights. There is no stronger second amendment candidate in that race.

I think the NRA makes these decisions based on issues of electability, often picking a weaker candidate on the gun rights issue as a pragmatic compromise, endorsing a candidate not simply on the basis of gun rights, but based instead on a more complex calculation that considers gun rights and electability. In the case of Rand Paul, there is no need to make any compromise. Rand is the best second amendment candidate AND he's leading in the polls with a lot of positive momentum carrying him forward.

Rand Paul has already received the Gun Owners of America endorsement. It's time for the NRA to endorse Rand Paul as well.

Cottonbaler

imported post

Thanks to sonrider657 over at AR15.com, you can show your support for Dr. Paul with a new avatar:

Rand%20Paul%202010.jpg

Download it at: http://www.christiancarnivore.com/Rand%20Paul%202010.jpg

Statesman

imported post

And while GOA's endorsement is a good one, we all know the NRA's Political Victory Fund is the big one for gun owners. All the candidates actually have good Second Amendment records but of course Rand is the one true Constitutional Conservative in the race. The one thing that might hurt Rand with this endorsement is the fact that Trey is an NRA member and Rand isn't. However Rand has been actively gathering support from gun owners across the state with booths at gun shows (no other candidates are doing this) and has addressed Knob Creek MG Shoot attendees which again, no other candidates bother to come to.

On the Democrat side (which we won't have to worry about until November), AG Jack Conway has solidified his pro-2nd Amendment credentials by signing on with the TX AG's pro-Heller and 2nd Amendment Incorporation through the 14th Amendment Amicus briefs to the US Supreme Court. Meanwhile Lt. Governor Dan Mongiardo is an NRA member, an avid hunter and has always earned the NRA's "A" rating.
This just goes to show you, that being a gun hating politician in Kentucky is a good way to get unseated, or have your political rear end handed to you by your opponents. Now if we can just unseat Kathy Stein, and her ammunition hating bill. http://kentuckyvotes.org/2008-HB-715

Looks like it was withdrawn, for now.

Introduced by Rep. Kathy W. Stein (D) on March 3, 2008, to require serial numbers on every bullet sold on or after January 1, 2009.
  • Referred to the House Judiciary Committee on March 4, 2008.
  • Withdrawn in the House on March 5, 2008, to require serial numbers on every bullet sold on or after January 1, 2009.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

I just realized that this thread doesn't have the NRA's phone number!

Call the NRA (800-392-8683) 9:00-5:00 EST M-F
Press 3 for a live person, or 2 to leave a message. Tell their operator: "I want the NRA to endorse Rand Paul for the 2010 US Senate candidate from Kentucky."

It's super easy to do this, and it's important to be heard.

GarandFan

imported post

Yeah, that bill was from two years ago.

Regarding NRA and the endorsement, we will have to wait to see what the polling says. There is no reason that NRA would not endorse either Grayson or Paul ... they are both great on the second amendment.

I prefer Paul.

From Grayson's site:
Second Amendment I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment right for American citizens to keep and bear arms. I am a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. In 2007, I received an A+ rating from the NRA and their endorsement.

I agree with the recent Supreme Court decision that overturned the ban on most gun ownership in Washington, DC, and which set a precedent for the view that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to gun ownership.

There are efforts underway in Congress to require owners of handguns to submit an application to the federal government in order to legally possess a handgun, and the bill would mandate the creation of a federal database of owners. You can rest assured that if I am elected to the U.S. Senate I will oppose this type of infringement on the freedom of American citizens to own firearms.

One measure that has recently been a hot topic in the U.S. Senate that I would support and work to see enacted is the amendment offered by Sen. John Thune (R-SD) that would allow for reciprocity of concealed carry permits across state lines. Unfortunately this amendment failed to pass in a very close vote. It is my hope that one day we will be able to pass this common sense legislation.

The Second Amendment to our Constitution reads, “ … the right of people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” I firmly believe this plain language and its guarantee to us as American citizens. As your U.S. Senator, I will always work to protect our rights and freedoms as law-abiding citizens.