• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooters complain of 'hysterical' police response to legal field sports. Telegraph.co.uk

old dog

imported post

More simply put the privately owned firearm, whether in the hands of a hunter or nonhunter, represents an independence of spirit that is anathema to the loathsome, useless drones that make up nearly all governments and view office as a license to steal.

My own beloved country may finally be waking up. The November elections should tell the tale.

If I may paraphrase the greatest Englishman: It won't be the end. It won't be the beginning of the end. But it may perhaps be the end of the beginning.

Sig229

imported post

old dog wrote:
in re: police overreaction

What your police do is of course rediculous. But I believe it is at least in part that old problem, the cop swagger.

Have you ever noticed they way the move down the street? Lips pressed into a harsh line, stern chin, eagle eyes alert for jaywalkers. Ordinary people cringing before their terrible presence. God, how they love it. If the job carried no salary many of them would pay for the privilege. I suspect this is even more true in the rarefied atmosphere of the armed response units.

Every one of them knows in his heart that he is Marshal Dillon, meeting danger with a grim fatalism.

My (thankfully) brief experience in England tells me that your police are the worst in the civilized world. Even France is more tolerable.

As to the treatment of recreational shooters, does the phrase "shabby intimidation" ring a bell?

I agree that most US cops do have the robo-cop mentality.

But i disagree about the brtish cops being worse. My time in the UK (most the Scottish borders area) the Police were VERY polite and helpful.

I even saw four men beating the hell out of each other outside of a pub and the police even treated them with respect.

I cant speak for London, Glasgow or other large metro UK police though.

If the UK adopt the Swiss gun ownership way, I will move there in a second.
In Switzerland the laws are much like that in Vermont or West Virginia.
You dont even need to go through a FFL to sell a person a handgun.

Buzz-tronic

This being a site dedicated to open carry I have to admit that I dont think the situation in the UK is really suitable for open carry of firearms, I do however strongly believe we should be allowed carry of pepper spray which our regulations class alongside full auto machine guns, hand grenades and rocket launchers.

We should have a damn sight more than that! Pepper spray is good but it's far from perfect.
At the very least trauma pistols on CCW (which Russia has started doing for its citizens) and handguns back onto section one of the FAC.

Buzz-tronic

in re: police overreaction

What your police do is of course rediculous. But I believe it is at least in part that old problem, the cop swagger.

Have you ever noticed they way the move down the street? Lips pressed into a harsh line, stern chin, eagle eyes alert for jaywalkers. Ordinary people cringing before their terrible presence. God, how they love it. If the job carried no salary many of them would pay for the privilege. I suspect this is even more true in the rarefied atmosphere of the armed response units.

Every one of them knows in his heart that he is Marshal Dillon, meeting danger with a grim fatalism.

My (thankfully) brief experience in England tells me that your police are the worst in the civilized world. Even France is more tolerable.

As to the treatment of recreational shooters, does the phrase "shabby intimidation" ring a bell?

That's a fact my friend. The cops in the UK are not what they were in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. A new generation is emerging and I don't like the look of it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
since9 wrote:

Whaaat?

Where are all those screaming women? I OC daily and have not seen one yet.

I was being facetious. I OC daily, as well, including to places like IHOP on Saturday mornings (lots of families) and McDonald's, and there's nary a reaction there, either. Or at WalMart, for that matter, except by a former LEO who works in the back. :banghead:

The only thing that will truly work is to allow all legal citizens to carry whenever and where ever the chose.

Absolutely!

sultan62

The North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit process is still a joke. The requirements of the class might be useful for someone who doesn't know the law or the basic parts of a firearm, but that's it. My instructor flat out said we could try again on the qualifying shooting. (Before any jokes ensue, no, I did not have to mulligan.)

I took the course for $80 and it's $90 for five years, $10 of which is for fingerprinting.

It's just one more racket.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit process is still a joke. The requirements of the class might be useful for someone who doesn't know the law or the basic parts of a firearm, but that's it.

When I moved to North Carolina in 1994, its CC law hadn't passed yet, so I began writing in ernest, as I'd come from Washington State, and their $29 for 3-year CC permit program seemed to be run absolutely right.

I was floored to learn NC was proposing a $150 for 5-year program (three times more expensive) along with a mandatory $100 "safety class" that was a joke compared to the firearms safety training we receive every two years in the military. As a result, I (as I'm sure did many others) wrote to the N.C. Legislatures calling for drastic changes in the cost structure, as they were certainly getting sold a bill of goods by well-intentioned firearms instructors. Money well, that is.

I took the course for $80 and it's $90 for five years, $10 of which is for fingerprinting.

It appears they listened, as least somewhat. They still require the $afety cour$e even though that given by the military is far better.

As a re$ult of their legislative incompetance, I declined to get a CC permit in NC, and just went without carrying for a couple of years. Their lo$$.

It's just one more racket.

Exactly, and I wasn't about to support legalized/organized racketeering.