• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with CPL

Smithc11369

imported post

I'm in an argument with my uncle regarding OC with a CPL. He has his CPL. I don't. He claims that when he was in the class he learned that the law is as follows:

If you don't have a CPL, in the State of Michigan, it is legal to open carry a pistol in plain sight if you are over the age of 18 and the pistol is registered and legal.

Once you obtain your CPL however, in the State of Michigan, you loose the right to open carry. Once you have a Concealed Pistol License, that is all you are aloud to do. Conceal it. If you are OC'ing while in ownership of a CPL, you are in violation of the CPL and guilty of a felony.

I am very new to this site as well as OC and I just want to know for sure that it IS legal to Open Carry in Michigan and it IS legal to OC when you have a CPL. If at all possible, please state the Michigan Law and law number or where to find the law. An official website (MSP or Michigan Legislation Site) would carry a lot more weight in my argument with my uncle. He doesn't believe anything I'm telling him which is just general information that I'm finding off of this website.

Thank you for any information you can provide. He fundamentally believes he has lost his right to open carry his pistol simply because of the fact that he now has a CPL. According to him, that is the law he was taught in the CPL class that he took.

Thanks guys, and thank you for having me on this awesome website.

P.S. He also brought up RPZ's and said that NO MATTER WHAT, the only people that are aloud to carry a gun into a RPZ (Restricted Pistol Zone) is an officer. I thought you were aloud to OC in a RPZ as long as you had a CPL. Am I right about this as well?

Chad

FatboyCykes

imported post

Welcome to the site, this is an easy one, tell him to site the law, he can't and nobody here can, there is nothing within the CPL law regarding losing the right to OC.

manicdevery

imported post

That statute prohibits certain persons from possessing firearms on certain types of premises as follows:
Sec. 234d. (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises
of any of the following:
a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
b) A church or other house of religious worship.
c) A court.
d) A theatre.
e) A sports arena.
f) A day care center.
g) A hospital.
h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act,…
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession
of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
b) A peace officer.
c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is
with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity. [Emphasis added.]
By its express terms, section 234d prohibits certain persons from carrying a firearm in the enumerated places but explicitly
exempts from its prohibition “[a] person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.” Thus, any person
licensed to carry a concealed pistol, including a private investigator, is exempt from the gun-free zone restrictions imposed by
section 234d of the Penal Code and may therefore possess firearms while on the types of premises listed in that statute.

This should clear up some confusion, if this does not then there is no getting through.
go to http://www.miopencarry.org and print off an information brochure. i always carry one with me, though i've had "all-knowing" citizens tell me that is wrong.

Have fun, be safe, good luck.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

you can also call the msp and speak with any officer in Lansing, they will probably send you to a guy named inspector copeland, he has been an excellent source for me if I ever have a question regarding a Michigan firearms law.

Bronson

imported post

Ask him to show you the law. Not his instructor's interpretation of the law, or the MSP's synopsis of the law, but the actual statute from the Michigan compiled laws that states that a CPL holder gives up a right guaranteed by the state constitution just because they accept a license whichpermits themto performan otherwise illegal act.

Here's the link to the MCL search page where he can do a keyword search for "firearm".

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(rh1q4b55ru1edaiodsf5px55))/mileg.aspx?page=home

Bet him your gun vs. his. If he can find a law that says once you have a CPL you may not OC then you'll sign your gun over to him, but if he can't then he'll sign his over to you.

Here's a little ammo for you....

MCL 28.425c License; form; authorized conduct

Here's the pertinent part:
(2) Subject to section 5o and except as otherwise provided by law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued by the county concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licensee to do all of the following:

(a) Carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person anywhere in this state.

(b) Carry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or not concealed, anywhere in this state.
Nowhere in this list of acceptable conduct for a CPL holder does it say you MUST conceal only that you areauthorized to do so.

This online LegalDictionarydefines "authorize" as:

1: to give permission to
2: to give authority to act to

So, the CPL only gives the licensee permission to conceal a pistol, which is an otherwise illegal act. It does not remove a constitutional right guaranteed by the Michigan state constitution in Article I, section 6.

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

Bronson

Smithc11369

imported post

Thank you Bronson, that was a lot of help and I appreciate your time looking that all up for me. I'm sure he wont be as appreciative but I certainly am.

Thank you,

Chad