• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My attempt at reason with Costco.

Chris.R.Anderson

imported post

This is a copy of my letter to Costco, and below that, their response.

Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on 01/05/2010 17:33:46 PST

Comment/Suggestion/Request/Question Text:
Hello, I would like to start out by saying that I am a long time fan of your franchise and much enjoy being a member and shopping at Costco.

I recently heard something that disturbed me though, I was told that Costco has corporate policy banning firearms in all stores. This is particularly disconcerting as I am a concealed carry permit holder, a supporter of the second ammendment and of the open carry of firearms.

I am greatly interested in your response, as it will determine if my family and I ever renew our membership or return to a Costco store. I would like VERY much to continue to do business with you, but I cannot do so at the expense of my rights, and my protection.

I would also like to inform you that (not because of me) your business has been placed on the Do Not Patronise list of a large community of supporters of the second ammendment and the open carry of firearms. This community currently has over 25,000 members and is growning.

Please put much consideration into this issue, as the constitution is a very important thing to most people in our nation, and supporting the rights therein is the foundation of our society, and our nation.

With respect,
Chris Anderson

------------------------------

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Thank you,

Beth
Costco Wholesale Corporation

CRA

heresolong

imported post

This might be what my response would look like.

1) I appreciate that you have the right, as a private property owner, to ban firearms.

2) One of the issues that I have with your policy is that criminals and terrorists are not known for their willingness to abide by the law. Therefore they are just as likely to endanger the public in Costco by bringing and using a firearm. They might also be more willing to use a firearm in Costco due to the lack of armed response should they commit crimes in your stores. Due to this, your policy prevents me from defending my family in the event (however unlikely) of a criminal action that might target me, my family, or the general public.

3) Another issue that I have with the policy is that if I were to choose to abide by your policy I can either give up my right to self defense everywhere I go or leave my firearm unattended in my vehicle in a large and largely unpatrolled parking lot. I do not believe that this action is safe as my firearm could easily be stolen and used in the commission of a crime.

Thank you for your letter clarifying your policy. At this time I do not intend to patronize your stores and would appreciate a refund of my membership fees. If in the future you recognize the right of Americans to defend themselves and their families in a law abiding and safe manner, I will seriously consider renewing as I have enjoyed my experiences shopping with you.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Unless you shop A LOT there, the membership fee vs how much you possibly save doesn't even out too fast.

I never liked their warehouses anyway. But hey, it's a criminals playland! Nobody is armed!

heresolong

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Unless you shop A LOT there, the membership fee vs how much you possibly save doesn't even out too fast.
I have discovered that much of what can be purchased at Costco in the food arena can be found at Cash and Carry stores for about the same price. I buy cheese, meat, and larger containers of many items for comparable prices as Costco. They also have small quantities of many items as they break open the case lots and put them out for individual sale which is nice.

No membership fee and no one has ever said a word about my pistol.

In Bellingham it is on Iowa Street but a quick search on google turned them up all over the place.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I did not renew my COSTCO card because of this over 2 years ago. I can get everything for less at the cash & carry or by simply using coupons. I never liked the herd mentality there either. I dont miss the lines or having to deal with the people that go there.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
... But hey, it's a criminals playland! Nobody is armed!

Don't be so sure... Not everyone follows the "rules".

A fair number of their members (and employees as well) shoplift.

I imagine a fair number are in possession or under the influence of controlled substances as well.

I've seen non-handicapped folks park in the handicap stalls.

Show me a person who never breaks any "rules". They don't exist.

They have a "no firearm" rule to pacify the customers and employees who get all nervous at the sight of a gun, or for insurance reasons, or because of the personal beliefs of those in charge. As far as I am concerned, their reason doesn't matter. Out of consideration for their concerns, I don't show my gun when I am at Costco, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I like to think that "we agree to disagree".

This will probably fuel the whole "respect private property rights" argument, but I don't care. As far as I am concerned, when you open your "private" property to others for the purpose of making money, it lessens some of your ability to strictly exercise your control over it.

I consider it "quasi-private" - I have no business being there for purposes other than doing the intended business with you, I should behave with an appropriate comportment for that business transaction, and if I create a disturbance or interfere with your business I should expect to be asked to leave and made to leave if necessary.

Who I am, what I legally possess, my personal beliefs, as well as the corporate beliefs of the company or the beliefs of it's employees, are all irrelevant and have no bearing on the business transaction.

You find me with a gun and breaking your rules - fine ask me to leave or revoke my membership. But if you are going to have a rule and not actively enforce it (magnetometers, bag check, etc...) don't be shocked or surprised when folks break it. I know I can't expect the store to protect me from the bad folks who break it, so I just might break it as well for the option to protect myself from the rule breaker you won't protect me from.

Costco's stand is well known. It is foolish to think they will change it over something like this. If you disagree strongly enough that you don't want to shop there as a result, fine. I save hundreds of dollars a year shopping there, maybe even over a thousand. The rebate on my executive membership covers the membership cost (and usually have some to spare). Not shopping there will have far greater impact on me than it will on Costco.

If there was an option that provided the same value AND supported the rights of their customers, I would be all over it and happy to tell Costco why they are refunding my membership. If we had the strength, numbers and support to expect a boycott to actually make an impact, I'd be happy to help. For now I'll look the other way and keep giving them my business while in all appearances I follow their silly little rule.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

My aunt is a big-wig at Costo corporate. I've made it well known to her that I shop at Sam's and not Costco because I refuse to comply with this idiotic policy. It might piss off people in my family, but I have to do what I have to do. If I was to go there because I was with a family member and they decided to stop in there, I'd conceal.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Once a business as large as Costco makes a policy of such, it will not as you know, change.

If you still want to shop there, well then shut up and cover up.

amzbrady

imported post

Do they do background checks when you apply for a membership so as not to put you in harms way, with known convicted and release robbers, rapist, and murderers? Have they contacted the Phsycic Friends Network and asked Dianne Worwick when someone is going to come in and start shooting the place up, so that they can prevent it?

erps

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Do they do background checks when you apply for a membership so as not to put you in harms way, with known convicted and released robbers, rapist, and murderers? Have they contacted the Phsycic Friends Network and asked Dianne Worwick when someone is going to come in and start shooting the place up, so that they can prevent it?
My personal belief is that when one entity restricts an individual from having the means for self defense that the restricting entity ought to have a higher burden to provide that protection themselves. Now if I could just get the rest of the world to go along with my personal beliefs.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

heresolong wrote:
This might be what my response would look like.

1) I appreciate that you have the right, as a private property owner, to ban firearms.

2) One of the issues that I have with your policy is that criminals and terrorists are not known for their willingness to abide by the law. Therefore they are just as likely to endanger the public in Costco by bringing and using a firearm. They might also be more willing to use a firearm in Costco due to the lack of armed response should they commit crimes in your stores. Due to this, your policy prevents me from defending my family in the event (however unlikely) of a criminal action that might target me, my family, or the general public.

3) Another issue that I have with the policy is that if I were to choose to abide by your policy I can either give up my right to self defense everywhere I go or leave my firearm unattended in my vehicle in a large and largely unpatrolled parking lot. I do not believe that this action is safe as my firearm could easily be stolen and used in the commission of a crime.

Thank you for your letter clarifying your policy. At this time I do not intend to patronize your stores and would appreciate a refund of my membership fees. If in the future you recognize the right of Americans to defend themselves and their families in a law abiding and safe manner, I will seriously consider renewing as I have enjoyed my experiences shopping with you.
I might also consider adding that many corporations have a simple policy tofollow state laws on this subject, which means they do not have to "customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country".

sudden valley gunner

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
I have discovered that much of what can be purchased at Costco in the food arena can be found at Cash and Carry stores for about the same price. I buy cheese, meat, and larger containers of many items for comparable prices as Costco. They also have small quantities of many items as they break open the case lots and put them out for individual sale which is nice.

No membership fee and no one has ever said a word about my pistol.

In Bellingham it is on Iowa Street but a quick search on google turned them up all over the place.
Yep Cash and Carry is a great place and nothing said about my pistol either.

jeeper1

imported post

If "Cash and Carry" is a chain of grocery stores, I've never heard of them.
Weather permitting, I go to Costco several times a week for the free samples. It beats cooking for myself. Cheaper too.
Oh yes, I always CC there.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
If "Cash and Carry" is a chain of grocery stores, I've never heard of them.
Weather permitting, I go to Costco several times a week for the free samples. It beats cooking for myself. Cheaper too.
Oh yes, I always CC there.
LOL what are you then, 95 pounds?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I guess I riskmy membership everytime I go there, then. I CCW there all the time, and could give a damn if they want to ban people for wearing purple socks. If they don't see your purple socks, they can't kick you out, can they?

I understand the principle behind making a point, but my boss bought the membership, so I have no $$$ invested in it.

jeeper1

imported post

I am a man and weigh 2.5 times what I should and wish I would weigh a heck of a lot less than I do.
I was just trying to say that I would like to weigh a lot less, not necessarily 95 lbs.