• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My attempt at reason with Costco.

amzbrady

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
jeeper1 wrote:
If "Cash and Carry" is a chain of grocery stores, I've never heard of them.
Weather permitting, I go to Costco several times a week for the free samples. It beats cooking for myself. Cheaper too.
Oh yes, I always CC there.
LOL what are you then, 95 pounds?
thats to funny, When I was working construction in Redmond a long time ago, a coworker and I used to go to the Albertsons for a free sample lunch. we would walk the store like 3 times got to where we knew all the workers and free samples soon became meals.

Chris.R.Anderson

imported post

The evolution of threads amuses me, lol! I will let you guys know if I have any more communication with Costco, I am thinking about sending them some of the things you guys have suggested, but don't have the time at the moment.

CRA

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

killchain wrote:
Not to be specific, but I conceal carry in a lot of places I shouldn't.

Criminals ignore their policies. So do I.
The only places I consider as I "shouldn't" carry in are the ones that the LAW says I can't.

Everything else is just a request. They can consider their request noted and declined. They've declined several of my requests over the years, so it seems fair to me.

I understand they don't wish to see a gun on their property, so I won't show them one. Sounds like a fair compromise.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

911Boss wrote:
killchain wrote:

The only places I consider as I "shouldn't" carry in are the ones that the LAW says I can't.

Everything else is just a request. They can consider their request noted and declined. They've declined several of my requests over the years, so it seems fair to me.

I understand they don't wish to see a gun on their property, so I won't show them one. Sounds like a fair compromise.

While I use pretty much the same logic you do.. there is one more thing to consider.

If they don't want to see my gun, they are also NEVER going to see any of my money. Going CCW just lets themwin, and I'm not willing to do that.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
911Boss wrote:
killchain wrote:

While I use pretty much the same logic you do.. there is one more thing to consider.

If they don't want to see my gun, they are also NEVER going to see any of my money. Going CCW just lets themwin, and I'm not willing to do that.
I thought going CCW and then refusing to stop a violent crime in progress with it lets them win. Gun free zones are massacre safely zones.

dlnwoody

imported post

Chris.R.Anderson wrote:
This is a copy of my letter to Costco, and below that, their response.

Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on 01/05/2010 17:33:46 PST

Comment/Suggestion/Request/Question Text:
Hello, I would like to start out by saying that I am a long time fan of your franchise and much enjoy being a member and shopping at Costco.

I recently heard something that disturbed me though, I was told that Costco has corporate policy banning firearms in all stores.  This is particularly disconcerting as I am a concealed carry permit holder, a supporter of the second ammendment and of the open carry of firearms.

I am greatly interested in your response, as it will determine if my family and I ever renew our membership or return to a Costco store.  I would like VERY much to continue to do business with you, but I cannot do so at the expense of my rights, and my protection.

I would also like to inform you that (not because of me) your business has been placed on the Do Not Patronise list of a large community of supporters of the second ammendment and the open carry of firearms.  This community currently has over 25,000 members and is growning.

Please put much consideration into this issue, as the constitution is a very important thing to most people in our nation, and supporting the rights therein is the foundation of our society, and our nation.

With respect,
Chris Anderson

------------------------------

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club.  It is not open to the general public.  It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions.  We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules.  The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules.  By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.  For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace.  Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world.  This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy.  If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Thank you,

Beth
Costco Wholesale Corporation

CRA
[/quote] Costco says. "It is not open to the general public. ". If I remember right back in the days, not sure about now, you could shop there and if you were not a member you had to pay a % more. If that is still the way, how can they say the are a members only place.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
911Boss wrote:
killchain wrote:

Yes, they "Win" by not seeing my gun. Considering I CC the majority of the time anyway, they really haven't made me do anything different.

If I refused to spend money there, then I would lose. I can separate the two things, shopping for the best prices/value and belief/opinion about guns.

So for me the choice is "Win-Lose" where they win and I lose, or "Win-Win" where we each get what we want to a certain degree. They don't see a gun and I save money by shopping there.

heresolong

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
If "Cash and Carry" is a chain of grocery stores, I've never heard of them.
Weather permitting, I go to Costco several times a week for the free samples. It beats cooking for myself. Cheaper too.
Oh yes, I always CC there.
They have them fifty of them throughout Cali, Oregon, and Wa but apparently none up on the peninsula.

Chris.R.Anderson

imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
Costco says. "It is not open to the general public. ". If I remember right back in the days, not sure about now, you could shop there and if you were not a member you had to pay a % more. If that is still the way, how can they say the are a members only place.
[/quote]
Actually you can't even get in the door without a card. Unless you are going in to get one. But they have change their membership so that ANYONE can get a card, that is different than it used to be. You used to have to be a bussiness or affiliated with one to get a card,i.e. my father owning our farm has always had one, but now I can get one without going through the farm or anything. I hope that clarifies your question for you.

CRA

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Costco consistently has the cheapest gas in the Tacoma area (currently $2.63). It's the only reason I have a card and since I don't pay for the card I OC while filling up. If I have to go in the store I CC.

I don't carry my weapon anyplace listed in RCW 9.41.300. If I carry it anywhere else, then management has to ask me to leave becuase I know I am NOT breaking any laws.

amzbrady

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
911Boss wrote:
killchain wrote:

Right wing, Do you have a cpl, and if so, why?

amzbrady

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Two reasons off the top - so he can carry loaded in a vehicle and to be exempt from the stupid three day waiting period on handgun purchases from FFLs.
yea, thought of that after the post, sry right wing, should have just asked... Do you ever CC or do you ALWAYS OC? If you do CC, why?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Two reasons off the top - so he can carry loaded in a vehicle and to be exempt from the stupid three day waiting period on handgun purchases from FFLs.
yea, thought of that after the post, sry right wing, should have just asked... Do you ever CC or do you ALWAYS OC? If you do CC, why?

And since there is a school in this town every other block, so I don't get arrested for carrying in a school zone! (1000 foot rule).

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

And since there is a school in this town every other block, so I don't get arrested for carrying in a school zone! (1000 foot rule).
Never mind I got ya..I thought you were saying you CC in a school, zone, but I see you were adding a third reason, to have a CPL. This is one reason I got one, and funny thing is school and nobody has said a thing the few times I had it on me picking kids up.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
I don't remember anything about a 1000 foot rule here in Wa...
Without a CPL, you are bound by the 1000' rule in the federal law. With a CPL issued by Washington State you are not.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Yes, they "Win" by not seeing my gun. Considering I CC the majority of the time anyway, they really haven't made me do anything different.

If I refused to spend money there, then I would lose. I can separate the two things, shopping for the best prices/value and belief/opinion about guns.

So for me the choice is "Win-Lose" where they win and I lose, or "Win-Win" where we each get what we want to a certain degree. They don't see a gun and I save money by shopping there.
Hey, who let the guy with logic in here! I believe the same.

killchain

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
911Boss wrote:

Hey, who let the guy with logic in here! I believe the same.
+1

I go everyday to a "gun-free zone." With my gun. Because if some tool wants to get froggy and start hurting people who can't or won't defend themselves, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

EDIT: I CC most of the time. If I'm feeling particularly randy or whatnot I'll OC the Sig. I support OC. I just don't do it all the time. :)

That whole "if you have the capacity to defend others you should" sort of idea. My belief. Not everyone's. :)