• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying for the disabled

Geoff

imported post

Hey all,

As many of you know, I am having health issues that left me (hopefully temporarily) unable to do many things with my right arm. One of the most important ones is that I can't rack the slide on any of my handguns due to a lack of grip strength. This has been preventing me from carrying and protecting myself because I can't chamber a round every time I get out of my car. If I could legally leave a round chambered, I would be much better off.

There must be many more folks out there with disabilities that hinder their ability to protect themselves and their family. This is a great example of why the school and car bans should be stricken. I plan on writing my representatives to let them know how these laws prevent me from exercising my rights. Who else do you think I should be writing about this?

Thanks
Geoff

gbu28

imported post

I've written many letters to JSOnline. I've had I believe 5 or 6 printed (out of maybe 2 dozen submitted to date). I'm pretty good now at guessing which ones won't be printed based on how meaningful it is.

If I write a well thought out opinion with factual data to support it, no way in hell. When I write a simplistic one a 2nd grader could understand, it has a good shot at being printed.

And I'm not exaggerating. :(

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Geoff wrote:
Hey all,

As many of you know, I am having health issues that left me (hopefully temporarily) unable to do many things with my right arm. One of the most important ones is that I can't rack the slide on any of my handguns due to a lack of grip strength. This has been preventing me from carrying and protecting myself because I can't chamber a round every time I get out of my car. If I could legally leave a round chambered, I would be much better off.

There must be many more folks out there with disabilities that hinder their ability to protect themselves and their family. This is a great example of why the school and car bans should be stricken. I plan on writing my representatives to let them know how these laws prevent me from exercising my rights. Who else do you think I should be writing about this?

Thanks
Geoff
Sorry to hear of your problems. But it highlight the need for people who carry guns for their defense to train and practice in one-hand shooting techniques. Anyone could suffer and injury or gunshot a hand or arm during an assault and there are techniques for dealing with your situation.

Sure, you could switch to a revolver, but there are drawbacks to that: you're reducing the number of rounds, and to complicate things, reloading a revolver one-handed is slower and more complicated than reloading a semi-auto.

What are the most commonly taught methods of racking a slide one handed? Catching the rear sight on the edge of the holster, belt or shoe.

Last year a shooter in our advanced civilian combat league shot the entire 10 week league one-handed due to shoulder surgery. Not only one-handed, but weak handed at that. She did quite well, clearing malfunctions and performing reloads.

I looked on youtube and found a video that demonstrates similar methods to those we use. I hope it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcdDLGngnY

P.s. Dry fire practice is essential before attempting this with a loaded gun.

protias

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Sure, you could switch to a revolver, but there are drawbacks to that: you're reducing the number of rounds, and to complicate things, reloading a revolver one-handed is slower and more complicated than reloading a semi-auto.
Unless you get an 8 shot revolver. :p

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

protias wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Unless you get an 8 shot revolver. :p
I'd have to carry two of them to equal the 16 rounds in my Glock 35.

icepik

imported post

Geoff wrote:
Hey all,

As many of you know, I am having health issues that left me (hopefully temporarily) unable to do many things with my right arm. One of the most important ones is that I can't rack the slide on any of my handguns due to a lack of grip strength. This has been preventing me from carrying and protecting myself because I can't chamber a round every time I get out of my car.

Thanks
Geoff
Good thing you're not in a wheelchair...anyone in one of those technically can't carry at all.

My solution to your specific problem...keep it loaded but locked in the trunk. IF you get caught...IF...it's only a misdemeanor ticket anyways.

I know a few people who keep a loaded gun under the front seat in a non-locked bag for protection. The risk of a ticket is far easier to live with than being victim to a crime because you can't get to your gun and load it. Criminals just aren't going to wait while you unlock your weapon and load up, just because you ask nicely.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

icepik wrote:
Good thing you're not in a wheelchair...anyone in one of those technically can't carry at all.
Please provide a citation to the statute to which you refer.

I will anticipate and copy

340.01 VEHICLES—DEFINITIONS
[ ... ]
(43) “Pedestrian” means any person afoot or any person in a wheelchair, either manually or mechanically propelled, or other low−powered, mechanically propelled vehicle designed specifically for use by a physically disabled person, but does not include any person using an electric personal assistive mobility device.
that long precedes 340.01(74)

Geoff

imported post

Good link Shotgun, I'll have to give that a try.

I never thought about the importance of having ambidextrious controls on a firearm until my surgery. I did practice shooting with my off hand, but I have not been able to operate the safety, slide stop release or mag release successfully.

(Un)fortunately I don't know anyone else in a similar situation but I will definitely keep that in mind now.

Geoff