• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Canada

Robert Kennedy

imported post

Open carry in Canada. Nope, not unless your a cop or a security guard. Open carry does not fly here. The gun laws are stricter up north here and I guess that has the advantage of less guns (obviously), and thus less gun deaths. Most of the illegal firearms in Canada come from the United States; In fact a large portion of restricted weapons are brought into Canada by companies that supply movie sets with weapons. I did find out recently that you can rent a gun and blast away all day long at West Edmonton mall. Looking forward to trying that out.

canadian

imported post

Robert Kennedy wrote:
I guess that has the advantage of less guns (obviously), and thus less gun deaths.
Whomever told you there were less guns in Canada was attempting to mislead you. The last statistics I read said that 29% of Canadian homes owned at least 1 firearm, as opposed to Americans' 32%.Granted, a typical American firearm owner will own 3 times as many firearms as his Canadian counterpart, but on a per-household basis, the two countries are pretty close.
Most of the illegal firearms in Canada come from the United States
Only because they are the closest country who exports them.Would you be equally surprised that most of the illegal narcotics in Bolivia were from Colombia?
In fact a large portion of restricted weapons are brought into Canada by companies that supply movie sets with weapons.
I challenge that assertion. Well, I would challenge it if it were slightly less ambiguous. Please define a "large portion". CSIS ranks the #1 source of illegal firearms in Canada to be licensed dealers who unknowingly sell them to strawmen. That's neither the fault of the dealer, northe US government. That's strictly the fault of Canadian border patrols.

But I would go so far as to say that the illegal firearm market in Canada is exceedingly small. There just isn't much demand for wholesale importation, legal or otherwise. Even the criminals don't use them, except to protect their drug enterprises from competitors.
I did find out recently that you can rent a gun and blast away all day long at West Edmonton mall. Looking forward to trying that out.

I'm pretty sure that unless you are under 18, you will still need a posession and aquisition license to rent a firearm. And if you are under 18, your guardian will need to have one.

NightOwl

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Yea, @#$% Canada. It's just America's hat, and we don't even want it. j/k:lol:

If the world were prison, we'd be Canada's b*#%$. They're bigger, and they're on top.

Anyhow, I look at the Canada and think it's a pretty nice country...except for the insane gun control. While the gun deaths might be less, I'd be interested in comparing the violent crime statistics between the two countries...

canadian

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
While the gun deaths might be less, I'd be interested in comparing the violent crime statistics between the two countries...
I can give you a sampling. The data is taken from here.

Crime(per 1000) Canada USA

Murders 0.0149063 0.042802

Murders with firearms0.00502972 0.0279271

Assaults7.118347.56923

Rapes 0.733089 0.301318

Robberies 1.38527 0.823411

While I'm not a statistician, I can drawan anecdotal conclusion from the data. It appears that while violent crimes that do not result in murder are more frequent in Canada, oncea crime is in progress, it is more likely to escalate to murder in America. Casual browsing through the non-violent crime statistics seems to agree with this conclusion.

buster81

imported post

canadian wrote:
I did find out recently that you can rent a gun and blast away all day long at West Edmonton mall. Looking forward to trying that out.

I'm pretty sure that unless you are under 18, you will still need a posession and aquisition license to rent a firearm. And if you are under 18, your guardian will need to have one.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been to the West Edmonton mall and no license was required to rent and fire away. An interesting experience. I was there with some folks from a company I was doing work for.

The range was set up with two range babysitters (at least when I was there). Everyone that is firing had tohave a range guard with them. They each had an unloaded pistol in a holster on their side???

The guy on my linewent to a gun locker and retrieved the gun Iwanted to rent. They put it in a case and brought it to the line.Heasked if I had every fired a gun before. I said once or twice :D. He thenexplained how to load a gun and it's controls. He almost got it all correct as well.

He took a target and put it down range. They didn't have silhouettes, so mine was a little green alien.

I loaded a mag and punched out the aliens head in rapid fire mode. When I looked at the rangebabysitter who was almost in my back pocket, I saw :shock:.I was then told that I should slow down my rate of fire. I chuckled and finished a box of 50 and sat back and watched the others shoot. It was pretty amusing.

buster81

imported post

Robert Kennedy wrote:
less guns
You might be surprised at how many people own guns that the government (and you) don't know about. The government hasn't been able to steal them (yet) from the people becausetheyrefused toregister them.

Packer fan

imported post

canadian wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
While the gun deaths might be less, I'd be interested in comparing the violent crime statistics between the two countries...

Crime (per 1000) Canada USA

Assaults7.118347.56923

Rapes 0.733089 0.301318

While I'm not a statistician, I can drawan anecdotal conclusion from the data. It appears that while violent crimes that do not result in murder are more frequent in Canada, oncea crime is in progress, it is more likely to escalate to murder in America. Casual browsing through the non-violent crime statistics seems to agree with this conclusion.

Now as I look at this while there are more murders and more murderswith guns in the U.S. it seems to me that the murder rate is close and the Canadian rapes and robberies surpass.

Questions: what are the Canadians using to murder each other with if not guns; and why is rapes and robberies greater? What are Canadians using to commit rapes and robberies? Seems to me that with out guns you shouldn't have more rapes and robberies, or isnot havingguns lead to more rapes and robberies because one is not able to defend self or property.

I know personally a few people that have illegal guns in Canada because they inherited it from a parent and refuse to register them.

buster81

imported post

Packer fan wrote:
canadian wrote:
NightOwl wrote:

Crime (per 1000) Canada USA

Assaults7.118347.56923

Rapes 0.733089 0.301318

Now as I look at this while there are more murders and more murderswith guns in the U.S. it seems to me that the murder rate is close and the Canadian rapes and robberies surpass.

Questions: what are the Canadians using to murder each other with if not guns; and why is rapes and robberies greater? What are Canadians using to commit rapes and robberies? Seems to me that with out guns you shouldn't have more rapes and robberies, or isnot havingguns lead to more rapes and robberies because one is not able to defend self or property.

I know personally a few people that have illegal guns in Canada because they inherited it from a parent and refuse to register them.

Knives. It's shocking that when you reduce the number of one tool used to commit crimes, criminals find another tool.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/3280

http://www.cbc.ca/ontariotoday/double.html

buster81

imported post

Packer fan wrote:
I know lots of peoplethat becamecriminals because a family member died, and they were suddenlyin possession of an unregistered firearm through inheritance. I always offer to relieve these same people of the burden and give their dangerous weapon a safe home away from all that nasty snow and maple syrup.

canadian

imported post

buster81 wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I've been to the West Edmonton mall and no license was required to rent and fire away.

See, now you're teaching me something. Maybe the law is different now than when I got my PAL, or maybe the mall has a special license. Heck, maybe I'm just flat wrong. Either way, very cool

Packer fanwrote:

The numbers from all categories are fairly close. Personally, I'd like to get a real statistician's take on them. The up-shot? If CSIS thinks all of our gun crimes are committed by an against gangs, and both countries have similar rates, that means all of your gun crime is committed by and against gangs as well!

buster81

imported post

canadian wrote:
The numbers from all categories are fairly close. Personally, I'd like to get a real statistician's take on them. The up-shot? If CSIS thinks all of our gun crimes are committed by an against gangs, and both countries have similar rates, that means all of your gun crime is committed by and against gangs as well!

The FBI and or DOJ had a document a while ago that said something line 70-80% of all gun violence occured in 3% of the counties in the US. Take a wild guess where those counties would be. I've been trying to find it for some time, but can't.

When you try to get detailed info from Statistics Canada, you have to pay for it. What is up with that?

Alexcabbie

imported post

Boy, Canada is to the USA what Kurdistan is to Iraq. That's why I call Canada the "Nothern Autonomous Territories". Guns ain't legal, but cannabis kinda-sorta is (and the only reason it isn't completely legal and sold like Molson is , is because Uncle Sam would get really cheesed off.) :celebrate

Same language, too; except that (just like down here) foriegners have taken over about a third of the country and there are places where you can't take a leak without agreeing to something as you are going "Oui Oui" :celebrate:celebrate

And although the money is pegged to ours, it is still on a separate exchange; and time ago was that "Canadian money" was a joke, it was that quarter worth 18 cents that you got palmed off on you and then had to try tofob off on someone else. Well, not so much anymore. Last year the Canadian dollar outpaced the US dollar by - what was it? five cents? - leading me to consider demanding to be paid in Loonies, (And seeing ast to how I live in liberal-schmiberal Alexandria Va.; being paid Loonies by loonies would be very apropos). :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

canadian

imported post

buster81 wrote:
The FBI and or DOJ had a document a while ago that said something line 70-80% of all gun violence occured in 3% of the counties in the US. Take a wild guess where those counties would be. I've been trying to find it for some time, but can't.
If I had to guess, I'd say Los Angeles county CA, Kings county NY and Cook county IL, in that order.

When you try to get detailed info from Statistics Canada, you have to pay for it. What is up with that?
I've been asking that exact question for years. Frankly, it pisses me off.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Robert Kennedy wrote:
Open carry in Canada. Nope, not unless your a cop or a security guard. Open carry does not fly here.

I'm glad you are happy to live in a country with less freedom.

The gun laws are stricter up north here and I guess that has the advantage of less guns (obviously),

I imagine that stricter gun laws would reduce gun ownership by those who obey the laws. However, I'm sure the people in Canada who do not care what the law says are just as well armed as people in America.
less guns and thus less gun deaths.
If guns had never been invented there would be no gun deaths. Oh don't you remember the good old days before guns existed where there was no crime and no murder? Oh wait, that never happened. People always killed each other. And I'm not sure gun deaths are always bad. For example, I'd rather see a woman kill a rapist with a gun than have a woman killed because she did not have enough physical strength to fend off a rapist while unarmed.

Most of the illegal firearms in Canada come from the United States; In fact a large portion of restricted weapons are brought into Canada by companies that supply movie sets with weapons. I did find out recently that you can rent a gun and blast away all day long at West Edmonton mall. Looking forward to trying that out.

I see the media/government of Canada is using their techniques of lying to try and ban the freedom of expression in Canada as well. Yes, it must be those evil movie crews. I'm sure Canadians will all be safer once they ban movies. Just think, if movies were made illegal no one could manage to smuggle a gun into Canada or make a firearm in their garage with simple hand tools.

Or is it that you think that by removing the freedom elsewhere in the world that you will make your country better?

I suggest you look into the laws and history of Jamaica so you can see how well gun control works in their country. Of course, they also blame the USA for the failure of their own flawed laws that make no sense. When gun control fails it is never because gun control is flawed, it is always the fault of the USA.

Mexico also blames the USA for all the guns in their country, including all the machineguns and grenade launchers. I guess they forgot to notice that machineguns and grenade launchers are highly regulated in the U.S! I guess when they ban guns, it is our fault when they show up even when they are banned here too.

Isn't it amazing that people who commit "petty" crimes like murder, rape, armed robbery etc. would be willing to even violate laws that say they aren't allowed to have guns?

Oh well, at least if we take away the guns from the people who do decide to obey the law, who might fall prey to murder, rape, armed robbery etc. that is a step in the right direction isn't it? After all it provides job security for people who make a living as thieves. We'd hate for these people to be unemployed or have hazardous work conditions wouldn't we?

Overtaxed

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Packer fan wrote:
I know lots of peoplethat becamecriminals because a family member died, and they were suddenlyin possession of an unregistered firearm through inheritance. I always offer to relieve these same people of the burden and give their dangerous weapon a safe home away from all that nasty snow and maple syrup.
Happens here in my good old home state of New York. If a relative dies and leaves you their handgun, you are automatically a criminal unless you turn it into the police or find an FFL who can somehow take it off your hands and store it until you receive a permit for it. BTW, this is just a permit to own - CCW requires additional paperwork/begging from the NYS gummint. Life is precious here in my part of NY state - $10,000 cash, on your person most days of the week makes you "valuable" enough to justify CCW. That or knowing a high-profile judge, being a celebrity or local socialite, or a member of the David Patterson Braille Club.

Our local paper for some reason identified this legacy of (gasp!) unaccounted for "illegal" guns as a huge problem and ran an expose.
As an adjunct, they published in the online edition a handy-dandy Excel
file of every handgun permit holder in my county.

buster81

imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Packer fan wrote:
Happens here in my good old home state of New York. If a relative dies and leaves you their handgun, you are automatically a criminal unless you turn it into the police or find an FFL who can somehow take it off your hands and store it until you receive a permit for it. BTW, this is just a permit to own - CCW requires additional paperwork/begging from the NYS gummint. Life is precious here in my part of NY state - $10,000 cash, on your person most days of the week makes you "valuable" enough to justify CCW. That or knowing a high-profile judge, being a celebrity or local socialite, or a member of the David Patterson Braille Club.

Our local paper for some reason identified this legacy of (gasp!) unaccounted for "illegal" guns as a huge problem and ran an expose.
As an adjunct, they published in the online edition a handy-dandy Excel
file of every handgun permit holder in my county.
Bummer.

n16ht5

imported post

I've carried in canadia plenty of times.. its really easy too, no cwp, no paperwork... just don't OC. Nowadays the border nazis are too search happy to make t worthwhile though. Bastards.

XD40coyote

imported post

The stupidest part about Canada is that there's all these bears and mountain lions and moose and stuff that will try to kill you if you go hiking, or even go to splash in water in a parkland in BC with the kids. The gov't there seems to let rifles or shotguns be carried in the wilds, but a long gun is not the be all and end all, a high cal handgun as a backup to the rifle and bear spray is always nice.

Futhermore, what is with all the floating feet that washed up on the BC coastline? Serial killer victims? Bear and mt lion victims? Vancouver island has a buttload of mt lions too, and last I heard they don't allow them to be hunted there, but they attack people now and then? It's just as stupid as CA! Well at least in CA you can OC loaded in unincorporated areas, of which I assume the wild/outside of townareas are.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I live just south of the floating feet mostly male and mostly left feet if not mistaken.

Les Stroud good ol' Canadian boy, doesn't go into the great white north without a rifle.